• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins

This is a good question for your nutritionist. But as far as wanting not to be vitamin deficient, you could buy some Flintstones Vitamins or a generic version of Flintstone vitamins. The amounts of nutrients and vitamins and minerals are identical to adult vitamins. And because they're chewable, your new stomach can handle them.

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday to buy all the vitamins and minerals I get from that store. But they did not have the vitamins that I always get and have been buying for at least the last 12 years. They are high potency chewables and I have depended on them. I asked the management of the store if they had discontinued them. They have a terrible habit of discontinuing an item without warning like they're waiting to see if anybody misses it. They once stopped making this stuff called Better Than Peanut Butter which I lived on. I complained repeatedly and bitterly and a few months later the item reappeared on their shelves.

But in this case, they cut their entire vitamin section by half and put a whole bunch of protein bars there where vitamins and minerals should sit. And they did not have one single solitary daily vitamin in any other form on any of those shelves.

I am really pissed off. I am going to have to buy Flintstone vitamins again or look for a different brand of chewable somewhere. I really hate looking for stuff in stores. I don't like shopping in general but when I'm trying to find an item and it's not turning up, I really hate it. But I have to do this within five days because I only have 10 vitamins left.

No offense to anyone who takes bariatric vitamins, but I always read the labels. They don't have anything more or different than any other chewable multivitamin or mineral. They cost a lot more. I have been the picture of health and my blood work is always fantastic so I know that I'm doing the right thing by using the vitamins I use in the amounts that I take them.

After one of my annual visits to check in with my surgeon, a lovely bariatric nurse and anonymously sent me a big package of bariatric supplements. Everything you need was in that package. But I could smell the contents before I opened the Box because all the vitamins are chewable and scented like children's candy. I hate that. I hate phony flavors and I really don't like children's candy.. It was so sweet of her but I couldn't wait to finish those vitamins and minerals so I could get back to my usual.

In addition to the multivitamins, I take 500 mg of calcium three times a day. Your body can only absorb 500 mg of calcium at a time so it's a waste when people buy those 1000 mg vitamins. I break them in half. I also take a vitamin C chewable, some B complex that come in gel caps, and iron tab, a probiotic, glucosamine chondroitin, and several prescription meds including Lovastatin and thyroid replacement hormone.

When I can afford it, I also take fish oil in gelcaps, but I always pierce the gel cap with a common pin before I swallow them because I want to make sure the fish oil gets out of the huge gel tab it comes in. This means that when I take them I always have that nasty cod liver oil flavor in my mouth oh, so I take them at night before I go to bed.

If you decide to start taking a whole complement of vitamins and minerals, make sure they are either chewable or will fully melt before they leave your small intestine. Otherwise you will not have adequate absorption and you may become malnourished.

The other sing about this is that you need to make sure you don't take too many of the fat soluble vitamins that stay in your organs like vitamin D and vitamin-A. You only want to take water soluble or chewable vitamins that you can be flushed out of your body when you pee. You can get in a lot of trouble if you can't flush additional waste from your organs. Otherwise you're attempt at attem. otherwise your attempt at replacing the nutrients you would ordinarily get in food can turn into a kind of overdose. So ask your nutritionist.

My Dr.'s directions were to take them beginning the 4th or 5th day after surgery. I'm using the chewables from Bariatric Advantage. Bought them on Amazon, they sell them at my Dr.'s office, too. I was taking these religiously during my pre-liquid diet. The serving size is two vitamins, but I only took one today. I will ask my nutritionist if I need to take two.

Welcome to the group Jenny. it's very brave of you to post on the day you join but we love that. I hope you keep posting.

If the serving size on the bottle is two vitamins, that's what you should be taking, especially because you are taking bariatric vitamins, so you should be able to trust them. Even if your doctor didn't say that, you can find that exact information everywhere on every bariatric Clinic from the Mayo Clinic to Rochester.

Ordinarily I would say ask your doctor or nutritionist, but I think that every single person here was told two vitamins a day for the rest of your life. That is just one of the building blocks of bariatric surgery, just as every doctor will advise you to drink at least eight glasses of water a day.

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday to buy all the vitamins and minerals I get from that store. But they did not have the vitamins that I always get and have been buying for at least the last 12 years. They are high potency chewables and I have depended on them. I asked the management of the store if they had discontinued them. They have a terrible habit of discontinuing an item without warning like they're waiting to see if anybody misses it. They once stopped making this stuff called Better Than Peanut Butter which I lived on. I complained repeatedly and bitterly and a few months later the item reappeared on their shelves.

But in this case, they cut their entire vitamin section by half and put a whole bunch of protein bars there where vitamins and minerals should sit. And they did not have one single solitary daily vitamin in any other form on any of those shelves.
Guess what! Guess what!? Trader Joe's called me today to tell me that they had gotten the chewable vitamins back and I had them set aside two bottles for me. Isn't that awesome? I love it when people respond to their customers. And I was really dreading taking Flintstones again!

I take two multis a day (some surgeons recommend B1, B12, D, calcium citrate, and iron in addition to the multis). I just take Centrum or the generic equivalent (CVS and Walgreens both have generic equivalents)

Is Bariatric Fusion complete enough? I’m just starting out and thought that’s all I needed.
It's probably enough. During one of your follow up appointments in the future they should (at least my clinic does) check vitamin levels and see if you are taking enough. I take a generic chewable daily and extra B-12. It's much cheaper than the "bariatric" labeled vitamins that are out there. I haven't had my vitamin levels checked yet, but it's coming.

Is Bariatric Fusion complete enough? I’m just starting out and thought that’s all I needed.

depends on your surgeon and your bloodwork. If you're running low on something, they'll have you supplement that as well. A lot of us take extra calcium, iron, and B12 - since we don't absorb those too well and/or the amount they typically include in multis isn't enough for us. Your clinic will let you know what you should be taking and whether Bariatric Fusion will be enough (I'm guessing they'll be familiar with that brand - and/or they or you can check to see how much of each vitamin those have in relation to how much your clinic says you should be getting)

This is the kind of question you should ask your nutritionist. It can lead to a very productive discussion about vitamin and mineral absorption from food alone. But we cannot advise you and we can't take your blood and check your levels so it is really an important question for a professional.

It's also really good that you asked this question because we can go overboard and consume too many fat soluble vitamins that stay in your system and are bad for you in large quantities. So ask your nutritionist for the last word about this.

Hi Canecorso - love the breed!! But I'm an aussie mom to 5, soon to be 6 and golden mom to 1.

My surgical team has me on a 2 multi-vitamin with iron daily AND B-12 AND 3 calcium citrate chews daily. What your surgical team or doctor suggests should be what you follow. Pretty much everyone's dr. or after-care is different. I use Celebrate capsule multi-vitamin and calcium citrate chews. The B-12 I get at Walmart - it was what the surgeon and my nutritionist said I needed.

Please talk to your surgical team - they can tell you exactly what you need to take.

My 2 newest Australian Shepherd babies!

Attachments

• crown2.jpg
    crown2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Kaluha Blue.jpg
    Kaluha Blue.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 87
Back