• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins

At some point prior to surgery your doctor should be ordering lab work that will pick up any current deficiencies that you might have. Once the results are in they should tell you how much of what type of supplements you need along with a multivitamin. Following surgery your multivitamin should have 200% of the daily recommended values. So if you are taking a multivitamin that only has 100%, then your doctor will probably tell you to take 2 following surgery. OR you can go with Bariatric multivitamins which probably already are 200% (you'll need to check the label)

Remember after surgery you won't be able to handle swallowing big pills. That's where the Bariatric vitamins come in handy because they have chewables, soft chews, liquid and even small capsules that are easy to swallow. There are even vitamin patches but I don't believe they cover all the vitamins you will need.

I personally use Celebrate Vitamins but you can also check out Bariatric Fusion, Unjury and Bariatric Advantage. They are not cheap but I've decided to go with them for the first year anyway. After that I might switch to something less pricey. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, that is also a good place for vitamins.

My surgeon didn’t have me do any preop vitamin blood work. I use this because it’s a one a day. My levels were mostly normal at my 6 month work up. Also the price is better than some I’ve seen.
Bariatric Choice ONCE DAILY Bariatric Multivitamin Capsule with 45 mg of Iron (90 Count), Bariatric Vitamin Supplement for Post Bariatric Surgery Gastric Bypass Patients https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HZ3YQ5...abc_791GMVPTVFB0ZGM5G76B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use optisource post bariatric surgery chewable vitamins and mineral supplement. They include everything—b12, iron, calcium in 4 chewable per day. I bought them on Amazon.
It's important HOW you take vitamins and minerals.

■ VITAMINS: A, B COMPLEX, C, D, E, K, etc. Some break down in your body's water. Others like to hang out in fatty tissue. You can't get in any trouble with water soluble. What your body can't use gets peed out. But dont take an overdose of fat soluble. It builds and stays and can be bad for individual fatty organs.

■ MINERALS: 500MG of calcium CITRATE, not carbonate. 3x daily with at least 2 hours between doses. Iron 1x, 2-4 .hours after calcium. Never take minerals together. They cancel each other out.

■ OTHER SUPPLEMENTS: ask your doc, do your research

■ Drink as much water as possible with each nutrient. As they travel through your organs, the water helps a lot

I have been taking OptiSource Post Bariatric Chewables 4 times a day since 2 weeks after my surgery, per my team. They are apprx. $30 on Amazon. My center sells them at a discount, so I just pick them up when I go see my doctor. For some people, it is important to have complete control over what they are taking, for others it's more about convenience. So, you'll have to determine what is most important and your team can help you figure out what's best from there. Good luck.

Back