• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Waist Trainer

I'm not sure what a waist trainer is, but it sounds like a corset. If it is, I would never wear it at all because of the way its shape would force your body into an hourglass, which is bad.

If you're talking about an elastic binder, I wore mine for weeks, beginning the first time I had to get out of bed when I got home. i needed the support because my apron of fat was pulling my abdomen and stomach down & I had a 7" incision I wanted to protect and support.

Actually, my surgeon sent me home with that abdominal binder. It was about 18" wide, and about 36' long. My waist was 51" when I decided to have the surgery, so I needed a snug fit.

Anyone contemplating the surgery should ask if a binder is provided as part of the surgery. I think most doctors do, just as a surgeon would protect a wound with a sturdy dressing so it could heal correctly.

I'm not sure what a waist trainer is, but it sounds like a corset. If it is, I would never wear it at all because of the way its shape would force your body into an hourglass, which is bad.

If you're talking about an elastic binder, I wore mine for weeks, beginning the first time I had to get out of bed when I got home. i needed the support because my apron of fat was pulling my abdomen and stomach down & I had a 7" incision I wanted to protect and support.

Actually, my surgeon sent me home with that abdominal binder. It was about 18" wide, and about 36' long. My waist was 51" when I decided to have the surgery, so I needed a snug fit.

Anyone contemplating the surgery should ask if a binder is provided as part of the surgery. I think most doctors do, just as a surgeon would protect a wound with a sturdy dressing so it could heal correctly.
It is a corset

I would be hesitant to wear a corset so soon after surgery. Did you have a laparoscopic procedure? The corset could mess up the little incisions and perhaps lead to even worse things, like infection in the wound instead of healing. An abdominal binder, on the other hand, is just a way to support your still-oversized body mass so it won't put weight on those incisions and possible tear them open.

Maybe you should ask your doc about it. I had an open procedure which is much more challenging during the healing process.

Some surgical teams ask patients to wear compression garments - top or bottom or both. Some people who are heavy, obese will end up with hernias after WLS. They may not have actually even known they had one until they lose weight. Check with your surgical team. When I'm going out and I know I'll be standing or walking for extended periods of time - I wear a compression top and bottom. I was one of those weird people that ended up with a hernia but didn't have a clue until I lost about 30 pounds! Once I'm done losing weight - they'll do surgery to repair the hernia.

I wouldn't wear one at all, but especially not during the healing process.

Typically people wear them to "tuck in" fat or as they perceive it rolls to help smooth out the body shape. While you are healing and losing your body is going to change a lot on its own. If you decide to wear one, I personally would wait until your done losing weight.

Lastly, its probably not good to tuck everything in that tight and put pressure on your healing stomach.

Hey, Shawna. Definitely wait until after your post-op visit. Can't hurt to ask. Your abdominal binder will keep holding everything together until you get the official okay.

Thank you and will definitely do that!!!

Back