• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

wanting to know how much pain after surgery and how long does it last.

Dianal

Also how long the major pain will last and how long it would be before real food becomes a reality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DIANAL-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the decision to have WLS. I have read a couple of posts from you regarding pain levels. Like Tom replied in another thread, it varies from person to person. Pain was my biggest worry but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The first 24 hours was about an 8.5 on a scale of 10 but that was only if I didn't use my pain pump. Basically, I kept dozing off the first day so when I woke up I had pain but as soon as I hit the pain pump button the pain was immediately reduced significantly. Most of the pain pumps allow you to dose yourself every 10 or 15 minutes. After the first 24 hours I think most of my pain was being caused by trapped gas. This will probably happen to you. Just ask for GasEx and it will help. Don't hold your gas in either because it just causes discomfort. If you don't ask for GasEx you won't get it so don't be shy. Same goes for pain meds. In the unlikely event you find your pain meds aren't working good enough then ask for something different or ask if they can increase the dose of whatever it is they are giving you. It's pretty typical for the doses to be slightly less than what your doctor authorized. Bottom line is if you need or want something just ask for it, that includes sugar free popsicles :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back