• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Was anyone else really nervous about having surgery?

jn717

Hi everyone! I just joined your group today. I am set to have my surgery on December 16th. I have really gotten nervous over the last few weeks. I guess it deciding what brand vitamins to choose, what protein powder taste the best, will I be able to drink and eat okay after without getting sick? My surgeon team is wonderful and has a great reputation. I have been going through classes, counseling, and nutrition therapy since March. I guess if anyone has any information or stories they think would help I would appreciate it. What is you favorite protein shake, vitamins, other clear liquids? Has anyone tasted the Wal-Mart brand? Do you have any regrets?

I just finished my 3 months with the dietitian ..completed all insurance requirements ..got all my clearances
Now waiting for insurance approval. It seems this all has taken forever..I am starting to get nervous but I need to do this!!!

Hi. I am new as well and my surgery date is Dec 11th. It is hard work going thru the process and yes, I am also anxious. I have heard a lot of stories and I think that the best thing to do is to listen, but know that everyone is different. One person may have lots of problem and the other not so much.
It is major surgery and I think we have a right to be nervous. I am looking forward to the RNY, but once you do it, you cannot go back. It is forever and this is something to think about.
Good luck to you.
Denice

Nervous but had lots of time to think a out this.

I was annoyed that the whole process ..dietitian, Physiologist/physical trainer groups and all the tests but it has given me time to really process my decision and understand what I will be losing and gaining from surgery . Since I am diabetic I will be a gastric bypass.
The one thing that I find difficult since I have been practicing is nothing to drink at meals .. Taking my medications .. One pill at a time with
"Sips" of water..

My dietician said I could take my vitamins in the time before meals (I am allowed to drink up to 10 minutes before a meal). It took some getting used to, not drinking with meals. I used to drink 3-4 glasses just with a meal, but I've managed. Also, I can have a cup of milk with breakfast and dinner. That helps with anything overly dry. I am looking for advice on grinding the vitamin. Only vitamin I have that is chewable is the Vitamin C. How have others dealt with the grounded vitamins. I can imagine that they would leave a taste in what ever you add them to.

Hi, my surgery date is dec 2, and i am very nervous. I am ready to go through my surgery but, I do know that this is a major life change. I am looking forward to all of it. I wish everyone good luck and I hope to make some friends a long the way.

Hi, I am new to this forum as well, but I'm a 6 year RNY post op. Regarding the vitamins, I used a "bariatric" chewable which made it a little more tolerable. (and didn't taste bad). Children's chewables also work, but you need to look at the contents. The best however, was a liquid I got at GNC, (forgive me, I have forgotten the name) and that made post-op life a little easier. Now I am able to take a full capsule, so it's a lot easier.

I also remember being nervous...The day of the surgery I almost ran out of the pre-op room! Thankfully I had an AMAZING surgeon that held my hand and said it was all going to be wonderful...and it has been! This decision was the hardest, and EVERY DAY is still a struggle but WLS is an amazing tool that helped me tremendously.

My surgery is scheduled for dec 11th and I am terrified. Its a big change. I remember feeling like this earlier this year when I was having to drive to the hospital for my csection.

Back