• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Water Intake after the "Sleeve" seems IMPOSSIBLE! :(

Pinky35

Is anyone else having this same problem that had the sleeve surgery too? I had the surgery about 3mo.s ago and its just not possible to get the water intake im supposed to w/ such a small stomach (4oz). I dont want to become dehydrated OR get terrible cramps again which was happening. I really dont use salt at all which maybe helped but the doc said to "sip" my water every 10min throughout the day - um YEAH OK - WHO can possibly do that daily??? Not me! What to do idk please helppppppppp!

Sincerely,
Concerned

Hi Pinky,
I am a month out from my sleeve surgery and I have the same problem. Also the protein drinks about do me in...I just do the best I can every day. Bu today I felt pretty weak. ~ twill

I am 3 weeks post op and also struggle getting in enough fluids. I am hoping that when I return to work tomorrow and am sitting at my desk, it might get easier. I think the toughest part for me is that with the 4 meals I have scheduled a day, no drinking 30 minutes pre/post meals, and 20-30 minutes for a meal equals 6 hours of the day when you can't drink. I don't have any discomfort drinking my sips, but just not enough hours in the day.

Twill a month isnt much u are probly still swollen inside i know i was cuz i was making a weird gurggling noise probly from the air too i guess when drinking/eating. The swelling will go down and so will the food easier in due time but the water intake seems to never be enough - as LSALES said u cant drink when u eat only b4 hand then u have to wait after as well so yea theres just not enough time in the day. I've learned to make peace w/ it and I'm lucky if i can get down 2-16oz bottles the whole day between food/work etc - ITS JUST UNREALASTIC! Doc told me to sip every 10min but i would have to tie that bottle round my neck like a feed bag Really! who does that?!?! oh well :(

Thanks Pinky, I agree. I find that I can get a warm cup of decaf tea down easier, I have a big 12 oz. mug and it goes pretty quick with Truvia and a dollop of fat free milk....so I have become a rabid tea drinker, LOL!~ twill
Twill a month isnt much u are probly still swollen inside i know i was cuz i was making a weird gurggling noise probly from the air too i guess when drinking/eating. The swelling will go down and so will the food easier in due time but the water intake seems to never be enough - as LSALES said u cant drink when u eat only b4 hand then u have to wait after as well so yea theres just not enough time in the day. I've learned to make peace w/ it and I'm lucky if i can get down 2-16oz bottles the whole day between food/work etc - ITS JUST UNREALASTIC! Doc told me to sip every 10min but i would have to tie that bottle round my neck like a feed bag Really! who does that?!?! oh well :(

You guys are counting the fluid in your protein drinks and any other fluids aren't you? I have 8 oz of crystal light with my miralax in the morning, 2 cups of decaf coffee, and 1 protein drink. That equals 35 oz before I eat breakfast. One more 20 oz crystal light or G2 and another protein drink throughout the day and I'm at 66 oz. without drinking all day long.

Karen idk how u do that if u had the sleeve, how do u say u drink 8oz when our stomachs only hold 4oz at a time? i dont do protein drinks cant stomach them ever again, crystal light is WAY too sweet and aftifical. Im not a coffee drinker and ur not supposed to have more then 1cup of caffeine anyhow - all i drink is water and theres not enough time in the day to sip every 10 min like i was told so im lucky if i get down 2-16oz bottles a day as my only fluids

Karen idk how u do that if u had the sleeve, how do u say u drink 8oz when our stomachs only hold 4oz at a time? i dont do protein drinks cant stomach them ever again, crystal light is WAY too sweet and aftifical. Im not a coffee drinker and ur not supposed to have more then 1cup of caffeine anyhow - all i drink is water and theres not enough time in the day to sip every 10 min like i was told so im lucky if i get down 2-16oz bottles a day as my only fluids
I drink decaffeinated coffee and i find that liquids pass through pretty quickly. I sip some, get the dog food ready, sip some more, get my lunch ready, sip some more, etc. I'm also taking my daily pills at this time too which require liquids to swallow.
And there are lots of flavors of crystal light--not all sweet.

I get nauseous when i drink anymore then just a little liquid a lot of times. I dont like to ingest the artificial sugar from the crystal light, pure water is much better for ur body then anything else anyhow besides it throws my sugar off and i cant drink anymore of that liquid then water ;)

Karenina, my surgeon told me that I cannot count the protein drinks as liquid intake, but I really don't know why...
You guys are counting the fluid in your protein drinks and any other fluids aren't you? I have 8 oz of crystal light with my miralax in the morning, 2 cups of decaf coffee, and 1 protein drink. That equals 35 oz before I eat breakfast. One more 20 oz crystal light or G2 and another protein drink throughout the day and I'm at 66 oz. without drinking all day long.

Pinky. what do you do to get your protein. they said it can be very dangerous not to get all of the protein in.

Hello,

This isn't an exact science. The goal is to have 60grams of protein for ladies and 80 grams for men. You do your best to get to that goal. Will it happen over the first 4 weeks; perhaps a few times.

The goal is to stay hydrated. Yes the goal is something like at least 48 ounces of liquid. The key is "hydrated". You know when you are NOT. Your urine gets to a dark yellow, your mouth feels like cotton, etc., etc.

No matter what just keep sipping to the best of your ability. Yes in the very early go 1 to 3 weeks post op it is very difficult to get liquids down regardless of the operation type sleeve or gastric bypass. Just do your best.

Eventually, it does become easier. As to counting or not counting your protein drink, it is hydration, so is milk, so is crystal lite, so is coffee , so is water so on and so forth.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Everyone is different, but I've found that I won't drink enough if I try just plain water. I use mostly a generic form of various flavors of Crystal Light. (I get sick of the same flavor all the time!) I also found many of the flavors too sweet, so I counterbalance that by putting them in more water than what's called for. For example, the single servings are typically for the 16 oz. water bottles, but I will put it in 24 ounces of water. I still get the taste, but it's not so sweet. Through trial and error, I've also discovered that if I mix a bottle up and then pour it in stages in my glass with ice, I will drink more of it since it's really cold. Drinking it through the straw doesn't bother me either. I hope you'll find that all of this gets easier as you go along! I literally can drink almost 1/2 my body weight in water when it's winter and everything dries me out! :) Good luck to you!

I also having a hard time with my fluid intake and my food everything makes me sick to my stomach except water. What do i do? I don't know what to eat, the only foods i eat are soups (cream). I keep trying other foods but I can't take the after effect. help!!!!!!! it driving me crazy

I also having a hard time with my fluid intake and my food everything makes me sick to my stomach except water. What do i do? I don't know what to eat, the only foods i eat are soups (cream). I keep trying other foods but I can't take the after effect. help!!!!!!! it driving me crazy
Hi and welcome to the forum. It would help if you would share when you had your surgery, what type of surgery, and at what stage you are in the diet plan.

Same Boat Pinky

I am 6 months and 3 days out from my sleeve. THE ABSOLUTE HARDEST PART has been adequate liquid intake. If I really concentrate on it I can get in 48 ounces a day (but that is literally drinking constantly for 12 or more hours a day). I too don't like the crystal light and the "too sweet" artificial flavorings. I have tried every brand/flavor of the mio/crystal lights etc. I have found that the kool aid orange is tolerable if I water it down significantly, I do the same with Powerade Zero and also with diet snapple raspberry flavored ice tea (I also add a little decaf lipton instant tea and water to the snapple to water it down a bit) that way I can drink more than just unflavored plain water which helps with getting in the liquids. Anyways I am rambling but what I really wanted to share is that I just had a terrible bought with constipation (and I mean terrible, worse pain than child labor) because I am not getting enough fluids. Once I upped my exercise regime and began running I didn't try to get more fluids even though my body is sweating more, operating more, etc. Lesson learned so even though it seems impossible and it is uncomfortable to put more liquids in when there just isn't any space, trust me you do not want to suffer the constipation that I did. This is definitely not an easy journey that we are on but still hopeful it is all worth it in the end! Best of luck

Back