• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Water intake

How in the world does everyone get the water in postop?. I rarely I am hitting 48 oz! And that is a struggle. I DK if its because I am drinking 2 to 3 protein shakes a day so i am not that thirsty or what? Any suggestions?

Hi, Amy. Are you still on a liquid diet? I ask because during the liquid diet, my program said I could count all liquid as water, which helped TREMENDOUSLY! I know not all programs say that. If you are past the liquid phase, maybe you could try eating more of your protein. If you're drinking 24 to 36 oz of protein shake and trying to get 64 oz of water, that's a lot of ounces. I know it became easier for me to get my water in once I was eating my protein. Good luck.

How in the world does everyone get the water in postop?. I rarely I am hitting 48 oz! And that is a struggle. I DK if its because I am drinking 2 to 3 protein shakes a day so i am not that thirsty or what? Any suggestions?

My surgical team allows me to count every liquid - protein shakes, broth, hot tea, juice and so forth -, whatever I drink as part of my 64 ounces of "water". Talk to your surgical team. When you factor in your protein shakes 2-3 of those and 48 oz of water - you're well over the 64 oz mark.

There isn't a lot of scientific evidence that supports 64oz of water per day. Some people are fine with less, and some need more. It can be very helpful in regulating hunger, and it aids in digestion, and of course hydration. It is important to get enough water, which is usually somewhere between 1 - 2 liters per day for most people. As long as your urine is clear or very light colored (or perhaps bright yellow from your multi-vitamin) you are probably okay. Obviously, if your urine is dark and/or you are having symptoms of dehydration, you would want to seek some medical attention and possibly get an IV.

I actually drink closer to 100oz per day, but I don't always get there. I am sipping constantly except for 30 min before and after meals. On days I don't get that much I tend to feel more hunger, but that's just me.

No need to stress about it too much unless you are doing exercise, sweating or have a health issue that passes water quickly through your system and increases your need for fluids.

As far as what counts as fluid. Of course, water is best, but you can reasonably count anything, although I generally wouldn't count drinks with a lot of caffeine. I think everything else is fair game, decaf coffee, tea, fruit essence water, natural sweetened, low or no sugar water, zero calorie sports drink, broth, etc. During the liquid and puree diet phase, you can also count you protein drinks and other liquids, like soup.

It gets easier over time for most people. It's a lot harder earlier in the process until your stomach/pouch relaxes a bit after healing.

I'm four days post op and am drinking water like a champ. The hospital had a large graduated cup that holds 32oz that I've been using to track. I do two of those each day. I'm a bit surprised that I'm handling water so well. I don't even have to be careful to "sip." Sometimes I feel gas pain, but I sit up straighter or stand up and take a few steps and it passes.

I really wish doctors would emphasize the water requirement way before surgery is ever scheduled. Get people on the path to this essential habit that is somewhat easy! I was a lucky that back when I lost significant weight at age 19, water or Crystal Light was pushed hard. A gallon a day was the goal. I started with four, 32 oz tumblers of crystal light iced tea or lemonade each day. Within a week, I was up to adding in a plain water in between each crystal light drink. So within 2 months I had completely converted to plain water, 32 oz at a time, 8 times per day. 256 ounces of water, 2 gallons a day. Through the ups and downs with my weight, this was the only routine that I adhered to religiously. I felt it was the least I could do for my otherwise neglected body. And this was such a huge" advantage I had comfortably in place during recovery.

I really wish doctors would emphasize the water requirement way before surgery is ever scheduled. Get people on the path to this essential habit that is somewhat easy! I was a lucky that back when I lost significant weight at age 19, water or Crystal Light was pushed hard. A gallon a day was the goal. I started with four, 32 oz tumblers of crystal light iced tea or lemonade each day. Within a week, I was up to adding in a plain water in between each crystal light drink. So within 2 months I had completely converted to plain water, 32 oz at a time, 8 times per day. 256 ounces of water, 2 gallons a day. Through the ups and downs with my weight, this was the only routine that I adhered to religiously. I felt it was the least I could do for my otherwise neglected body. And this was such a huge" advantage I had comfortably in place during recovery.

When I went to my very first visit at the weight loss clinic - I was there for about 4 hours. I met my surgeon - nutritionist - counselors - exercise guru - and so forth - this was in July 2019. I was given all sorts of paperwork / information for surgery - telling me what the WLC would do and what I needed to do. The 64oz of water daily was the priority. It was emphasized every time I had an appointment or a required class.

Back