• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Water intake

CarolKacz

So today I am four weeks out from my surgery. I am still struggling to get any where near my water intake in. I am maybe at 32 Oz. I have a pretty water bottle that marks where I should be but still never seem to get there. I've also used crystal lite towards the end of the day to help. I have felt dizzy a couple of days last week and this week and I believe water my be my issue. Does any one have any suggestions about how to up it?

I am pre-op, surgery on Monday.
I don't have first hand advice but my team suggests setting a timer for every 15 minutes and drinking 1 oz every 15 minutes for the first 3 days, then every 10 minutes for a few days.. then 2 oz every 10 minutes. Until you train yourself to constantly drink throughout the day.

Try to start your day off with some water if you aren't already. You could try heating some water with lemon in it as a nice warm drink or herbal or decaf tea can count towards your water goal as well. I tried lots of Crystal Lite drinks until I found one I was happy with, for me it was the peach ice tea for part of my goal.

Does your water bottle keep it cold? I find I drink more when it is nice and cold, so an insulated bottle really helped me want to drink the water.

Good luck!

Try to start your day off with some water if you aren't already. You could try heating some water with lemon in it as a nice warm drink or herbal or decaf tea can count towards your water goal as well. I tried lots of Crystal Lite drinks until I found one I was happy with, for me it was the peach ice tea for part of my goal.

Does your water bottle keep it cold? I find I drink more when it is nice and cold, so an insulated bottle really helped me want to drink the water.

Good luck!
Just watch that, warm lemon water is a natural diuretic, per my primary DR. It works like magic when I am retaining water.

I'm not into hot drinks... Besides hot chocolate which as we all know I can't have. Although I have seen the recipe for it on here that I might have to try. I try to start every day with at least a little water prior to stopping for meals. My water bottle doesn't keep it cold but it isn't warm either. I'll try drinking cold water tomorrow. Pre op I was doing great and getting it in every day. The crystal lite I've been switching between fruit punch, raspberry lemonade, and orange just to give me a change.

Are you allowed to count all liquids you drink or just water intake?

I was able to count all liquids. It made it easier to hit the ounces that’s was needed. I’ve personally NEVER drank 64oz of water. But drinking shakes, juice, hot tea, whatever I drink made it possible to get 64oz in.
Maybe you could add s/f flavorings to you’re water - it may help you drink more

I’m a firm believer in the fact that each day is an opportunity to start over - clean slate.

Celebrate all your victories and learn from them. You can do this!!

I see you don't love warm liquids, so that makes some of these suggestions not so helpful, but I really enjoyed:
  • "hot chocolate" made with 12 ounces skim milk, 1/3 cup powdered milk, 1T cocoa (like for baking) and 1T stevia (by my count 210 calories and 20g protein - or if you are just going for the fluid volume and want to cut the calories and protein, skip the powdered milk)
  • miso soup - make your own, 2G protein per 8 ounces and very few calories
  • iced tea
  • True lemon packets in water (no calories - gentle sour taste of lemon, or lime or grapefruit or orange)
  • better than boullion broth
  • make your own chicken broth
  • decaf coffee or tea
  • True lemon lemonade packets (lots of flavors - check on line)- down side is a little bit of sugar (2g and 10 cal per packet) - but you can put them in more water than suggested so the taste is not as sweet and you get more volume in

So today I am four weeks out from my surgery. I am still struggling to get any where near my water intake in. I am maybe at 32 Oz. I have a pretty water bottle that marks where I should be but still never seem to get there. I've also used crystal lite towards the end of the day to help. I have felt dizzy a couple of days last week and this week and I believe water my be my issue. Does any one have any suggestions about how to up it?
I had a problem with dehydration after a different surgery. I felt dizzy, out of it, brain fog and my chest hurt. My nurse suggested 2 oz of water every 15 min.

I suggest taking a hard look at why you aren't getting your water. Does it hurt? Make you nauseous? If the answer to either of those is NO, try harder. Dehydration is a very dangerous thing. Do not let it happen to you.

That being said, I did not always like plain water, and I hate room temp water. I also don't like most crystal light flavors. I like KOOLAID kind of flavors lol

Wyler's Light Island Punch has a TON of fun flavors that are HIGHLY flavored. Like, the crack Kool-Aid from your childhood flavored.
Margaritaville makes Pina Colada, Margarita and Daiquiri flavored water mixes, if your tastes are more adult than mine lol
(If your local grocer doesn't carry them, Amazon does.)
Get a container that keeps your water COLD if you like cold water. I know they can be expensive, but if it keeps you hydrated, it's worth it.

Just things I am trying lol I brought some plastic ice cream molds (6) and I froze some water and Crystal Lite I should have measured what each mold holds, maybe the next time when I do it. Not suppose to chew ice so licking should be fine lol and considered a "sip-licking" lol sorry I laugh at my own dumb jokes lol

Back