• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

water

FYI, i was never told this 14 years ago. I have never followed this routine and I've always been completely fine. I also drink beverages with dinner--water, wine, beer, milk...

There isn't a whole lot of good actual research data on the validity of not drinking before and after meals, but it is a common recommendation. I was told something slightly different, in that I could drink until I started eating, and then I shouldn't drink "much" while eating because a little food followed by a lot of liquid would not give your body time to get those satiation signals it gets when things start digesting. I do think I tend to eat more if I drink frequently during a meal, but if I don't drink or just take a few small sips, I feel more satiated and I think that feeling lasts longer. if I drink too soon after eating, I get a very uncomfortable "overfull" sensation that I don't care for, so I usually wait.

If I drink during a meal I also burp a hell of a lot more, so there's that too, at least for me

I don't think it is critical for everyone to follow that plan, but you can always experiment and see how you feel before, during and after a meal by drinking at different times and seeing how your body reacts.

My doctor told me not to drink water 30 minutes before or during eating. His reason was there was only so much room in what was left of my stomach ( I had a sleeve). And I would have trouble getting enough nutrients and I would probably eat faster is I drank while eating. But when not eating, be sure to get your water. Not getting enough water will make you sick faster then anything else.

Relative to water. How on earth so you manage 36 ounces when about 5 in I'm full? I feel like I'm bordering between what is safe to drink and what my body needs to stay hydrated. I am so upset.
64oz over the course of the day gets more manageable with a bit of time. We can't guzzle lots of water at once, that's for sure, but nursing fluids through the day is pretty manageable, for most people. I know it can be difficult for some more than others, but usually it gets easier as things move along. Just be consistent and shoot for a min of 64 oz or more through the entire day. If you don't make it, it's not a tragedy, but it is very easy to get dehydrated if you aren't fairly consistent with hydration intake.

Relative to water. How on earth so you manage 36 ounces when about 5 in I'm full? I feel like I'm bordering between what is safe to drink and what my body needs to stay hydrated. I am so upset.
The way I found best was to keep a water bottle with water and ice ( the one I got in the hospital helps me keep track of how much I’m getting) with me all day even when I’m watching tv, or on the computer. When I see the bottle It reminds me to take a sip.

I'm really lucky because i LOVE water. But I'm highly allergic to base metals like lead, so I only drink spring water.

I keep a gallon of water next to me at all times. I use a funnel to fill smaller bottles and drink often throughout the day. If you don't like water, it might be because what comes out of the tap is GROSS.

Try the technique of measuring your water into smaller containers. Doling it out helps. When I finish one bottle, I go on to the next. This keeps me from feeling waterlogged.

Try also to change the way your mind feels about this. It sounds like a daunting task, so your mind resists WANTING to do it.

Any improvement you make will be awesome for your digestion and you will lose weigh faster and more easily.

I am not a water fan. Never have been. Now if it was well water from the garden hose I could go to town...but thats not happening here. I have a 32 oz bottle that I drink 3 of a day. I am very mindful of constantly pushing it in. If I wasn't I would go all day without drinking. I'm not a thirsty person in general.

My dr explained to me that drinking water while eating pushes the food through your system. It causes the body to not absorbs the nutrients from food you are eating. Occasionally if I eat a food that is dry yes I will take a very small sip to clear my throat. Very small sip.

Back