• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Week 2 of Pre-Op diet "The good the bad and the ugly"

Loops

Hello Friends,

Week 2 is almost over so decided to make an update. My energy level has stabilized not as tired as week 1. Still finding it hard to get my meals in, but I did find some Atkins chip snacks with protein and tasty. I'm down 13 lbs. I am very proud of my progress so far and have increased my water intake. I drink about 48oz at least but getting better at it....thank you Crystal Light. Oh and pickle spears are 5 calories if you want a healthy snack. So to the not so good, my anxiety is coming out and wondering if I will be able to care form my children how I should after surgery. Yes, I know recovery is only a couple of weeks but it's hard to let others help. Ok and TMI warning......the ugly part of pre-op, besides constantly having to pee, high protein diet has given me some unforeseen constipation. So if you are starting your journey remember to purchase a stool softener….. good luck on everyone’s journey

Last edited:
Hello Friends,

Week 2 is almost over so decided to make an update. My energy level has stabilized not as tired as week 1. Still finding it hard to get my meals in, but I did find some Atkins snack with protein and tasty. I'm down 13 lbs. so very proud of my progress and have increased my water intake. I drink about 48oz as the least but getting better at it....thank you Crystal Light. Oh and pickle spears are 5 calories if you want a healthy snack. So to the not so good my anxiety is coming out and wondering if I will be able to care form my children how I should after surgery. Yes, I know recovery is only a couple of weeks but it's hard to let other help. Ok and TMI warning......the ugly part of pre-op, besides constantly gaining to pee, high protein diet has had some given me some constipation. So if you are starting you journey remember to purchase a stool softener.
Hi Loops. I’m just 2 days into the 2 week preop. Already wishing I had something crunchy to eat. I started eating less a couple weeks ago to prepare for this, but boy do I miss crunchy. They had sandwiches at my work today for a lunch and learn. Such yummy smells!

Hi Loops. I’m just 2 days into the 2 week preop. Already wishing I had something crunchy to eat. I started eating less a couple weeks ago to prepare for this, but boy do I miss crunchy. They had sandwiches at my work today for a lunch and learn. Such yummy smells!
Atkins Chips in Cheese and Ranch flavor have high protein and low Carbs. I received a free sample and it will definitely become a go to snack. They are not like chips but it will give you the crunch you crave. Will power is a big thing I found that if I engage in conversation and sip on water and have a protein bar I can manage being around others eating. My kids love McDonalds Fries and those are sooo hard to resist. Hang in there and you’ll do great. Well wishes on your journey.

Atkins Chips in Cheese and Ranch flavor have high protein and low Carbs. I received a free sample and it will definitely become a go to snack. They are not like chips but it will give you the crunch you crave. Will power is a big thing I found that if I engage in conversation and sip on water and have a protein bar I can manage being around others eating. My kids love McDonalds Fries and those are sooo hard to resist. Hang in there and you’ll do great. Well wishes on your journey.

My 2 week pre-op is all liquids, protein shakes and clear liquids or skim milk. I asked about greek yogurt, and they made it clear not to sub in any foods even if the macros were the same. I wonder why liquid is so important pre-op? I lost 5 pounds my first week and feel very tired but I am walking for exercise at least once a day. At least one of my protein powder shakes I blend with PB2 and salt it instead of sweeten it which is a nice change for my taste buds. I also chew gum pre-op even though I know it will be forbidden post-op. They recommended chewing sugarfree lo-carb frozen shaved ice as well. My husband went out and got a sugarfree lemonade when the Kona Ice truck came through our neighborhood. And even though the flavor was "Eh", the shaved ice chewing was therapeutic.

I also had liquid only. Its to shrink your liver. I don't know why it can't be yogurt but I just went with it. It sucked but I wasn't going to start ignoring the rules right off the bat lol

You can do this! Its 2 weeks and well worth it! Good luck on your surgery

Back