• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Week 3 looking for variety

Hi James, welcome to the group and congrats on your surgery. Yes you can blend food or process in a food processor but make sure things like chicken you put some moisture in it such as broth or gravy or it will be very dry. Mashed white potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes are good too in very small quantities. Pureed cooked vegies even better. My palate could tolerate green beans the best. Refried beans work too. Just go slow as you progress. The pureed foods can be deceiving as far as being dense and heavy, so eat slow and make sure you stop before being full.

Actually you CAN basically put anything in your blender. My program gave me a recipe (yes, really) that called for me to make a grilled cheese sandwich and throw it in the blender with vegetable broth?! A lot of people use turkey with a little gravy. Chicken and salsa would work just as well. Cooked cereals (cream of wheat) or grits, mashed veggies etc. I only had to do a week of puree so I mostly lived on greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and refried beans. Good luck.

Actually you CAN basically put anything in your blender. My program gave me a recipe (yes, really) that called for me to make a grilled cheese sandwich and throw it in the blender with vegetable broth?! A lot of people use turkey with a little gravy. Chicken and salsa would work just as well. Cooked cereals (cream of wheat) or grits, mashed veggies etc. I only had to do a week of puree so I mostly lived on greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and refried beans. Good luck.
I had to cringe when you said putting a grilled cheese in a blender. They must have come from the same school of thought my rehab center did when they pureed pizza for my meal. It was disgusting!!! Tasted like raw dough. My whole pureed phase was spent in the hospital and rehab due to my long recovery. Once I came home I was in the soft food stage.

I had to cringe when you said putting a grilled cheese in a blender. They must have come from the same school of thought my rehab center did when they pureed pizza for my meal. It was disgusting!!! Tasted like raw dough. My whole pureed phase was spent in the hospital and rehab due to my long recovery. Once I came home I was in the soft food stage.
Right?! Like I said, I just stuck to foods that were naturally pureed texture. I could not bring myself to puree chicken either. Since I was only on puree for a week, I figured I could wait one more week for slow cooked chicken. I know some people are puree for 3 or 4 weeks. That has to be rough.

Back