• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight gain after nearly 5 years

I feel your pain and struggle. As everyone keeps telling me, focus on the exercise first then the eating as they are interrelated. Once you’ve established the exercise routine again maybe your body and brain will find the willpower again?
I am one year out. Exercise has been difficult due to pain issues. My daughter had surgery a few years ago and reminds me often that exercise will help channel your mind to focus on something good for you and hopefully that will help motivate you to not stress eat as much.
Carry on, we got this!!!

I actually disagree with the exercise first. Depending on your weight, walking an average of 3 miles per hour burns approx 250 calories. You need a deficit of 3500 calories to lose ONE pound. That's 14 hours of walking!!!

Ideally, you would add in exercise AND cut back on the amount you are eating. Just an example of sweets; there are 210 calories in a mini Hershey's chocolate bar and about 250 in a glazed donut. So, its a LOT easier to create that deficit of calories with the foods you eat, if you're eating a lot of sweets.

I keep dark chocolate in my freezer. So if I'm really having a craving, I have a small square. Its frozen so it takes a while to melt and since its dark/rich its usually enough to satisfy my craving.

Back