• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Gain After Nearly 5 Years

myr2323

Nearly five years into this, I've gained 28 pounds. After the most stressful year of my life, I have completely fallen off the wagon! I went from 220 to 142 and kept the weight off for over three and one-half years. I know what I'm doing wrong; my diet is full of sugar and low-nutrient carbs, I do not eat adequate amounts of protein or drink enough water, I haven't hit the gym since I started grad school, and my alcohol intake has increased. I KNOW what I need to do differently however, I'm having difficulty starting. Any tips to get back on track?!

Like you said you know what you need to do. Its the doing of it that is the hard part. But, 28lbs is not horrible. You can get that off with a few changes.

Start tracking your intake. On paper or get an app. I use Baritastic but my hubs uses My Fitness Pal.

Meal prep! It's so much easier to eat healthy when that's what is ready and convenient.
If your meals are planned, you know what you're eating so don't have to decide when your hungry.

Eat every few hours, so you don't get so hungry you have to eat "right now"!! That almost always leads to overeating or bad choices for me.

Stick around here, or see if you our bariatric program has an in person or online support group. It helps keep yourself accountable.

Do not let shame of a temporary setback determine your worth or your future. Now OR in the upcoming weeks. No one bad decision determines your success. If you eat a 'bad' meal, don't allow it to become a bad day. And don't beat yourself up. Just move on in a positive direction.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

Back