• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight gain after surgery

Did your doctor give you a post-op eating and nutrition plan? That's what you should have gotten and by following those guidelines, you should be losing weight regularly and in significant amounts.

Everyone has a different experience and a different metabolism & you can't do anything about yours. However I would immediately start writing down every single solitary from of food or juice I put in my body. Especially juice which you should avoid like the plague. It is the worst thing you can consume postoperatively.

And please don't take this wrong: are you cheating, even a little? Sometimes we don't even know it.

I don't know if this will be helpful to you but check it out:

If you are following the recommended post-op plan, things will work out. There are a few possibilities as to what would cause such fluctuation, but there is little doubt your body is burning fat. The scale, this early in the journey, is influenced a lot by water weight both leaving and retaining, especially during the first month. I doubt you could comfortably eat enough to actually put on fat weight unless you were eating constantly high calorie foods, which is extremely unlikely.

Stick closely to the recommended nutrition and make sure you are hydrating very well. Things will come together in time. If you feel you may be taking in too much salt, then perhaps you are, that could influence some water retention, but the best thing to do is drink, drink, drink.

Try to choose whole foods (phase appropriate, of course) and stay away from artificial sweeteners and ultra processed foods.

Back