• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

weight gain right after surgery

rainyann

I just had my sleeve done 4 days ago. In addition to the sleeve I had my gall bladder removed and a hiatal hernia repair at the same time... In the 3 months while waiting for my surgery date I lost 30 pounds.... this morning I got on the scale and was distressed to find that I am 8 pounds heavier than the day of surgery. I know it is fluid build up, I can see it in the legs and feet but it was depressing.... did anyone else experience this? If so, how long did it take to resolve? I have been perfect with my post op diet

Me!!!! I gained 8 pounds after surgery. It took several days for it all to subside. I also received my monthly bill the day after surgery, so that was a factor too. Your body is also in shock. It just went through a major surgery! There's also swelling and whatnot going on. I say give it a week before you even step on the scale again. Give everything a chance to settle down.

Me!!!! I gained 8 pounds after surgery. It took several days for it all to subside. I also received my monthly bill the day after surgery, so that was a factor too. Your body is also in shock. It just went through a major surgery! There's also swelling and whatnot going on. I say give it a week before you even step on the scale again. Give everything a chance to settle down.
thanks.... even my stomach is bigger... can't put regular pants on, came home from the hospital in pajama bottoms. I guess the fact that I have 8 or 9 incisions sites rather than the regular amount it causes more belly swelling. Thanks for the reply... I will stay away from the scale

I just had my sleeve done 4 days ago. In addition to the sleeve I had my gall bladder removed and a hiatal hernia repair at the same time... In the 3 months while waiting for my surgery date I lost 30 pounds.... this morning I got on the scale and was distressed to find that I am 8 pounds heavier than the day of surgery. I know it is fluid build up, I can see it in the legs and feet but it was depressing.... did anyone else experience this? If so, how long did it take to resolve? I have been perfect with my post op diet
I had so much fluid weight after my surgery I couldn't get close to fastening my pants when getting dressed to go home! It took about a full week to flush it!

Folks, the surgeon intentionally loads you up with fluids to counter any possibility of dehydration in the initial weeks post op. Normal procedure. It will come off.

Everyone comes home weighing more than they started with, the fill you up with lots of fluids, my Dr said only get on the scale once a month, lol I can't do that

Back