• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight gain

Countrygirl50

I started at 300lbs, I had R-N-Y surgery in 1999 lost 175 lbs and felt great. Then about 8 yr later I started gaining weight, I have regained 80 lbs from poor eating habits, I really am trying very hard to loose this weight but nothing is working, doing clean eating, watching carbs. Nothing is moving, any suggestions. PLEASE HELP

Hi you did so great and you can stop this slide. You have the tools to make the change. Don't forget to drink lots of water and exercise. Work those into your day and you will be back on track.
Good luck and be positive think about your success and being successful will follow.

I started at 300lbs, I had R-N-Y surgery in 1999 lost 175 lbs and felt great. Then about 8 yr later I started gaining weight, I have regained 80 lbs from poor eating habits, I really am trying very hard to loose this weight but nothing is working, doing clean eating, watching carbs. Nothing is moving, any suggestions. PLEASE HELP

What foods were you eating when your lost weight originally? Go back to basics.

I couldn't eat much, wasn't very hungry so I wasn't worried about eating a wide variety of foods and ate mainly chicken breast/ fish/ eggs for my protein and green beans/ stewed tomatoes/ salad for my veggies. Ninety percent of the time, this was my menu for the 1st year. Just look at food as fuel and think of other things for enjoyment. Get a hobby to take up your time instead of snacking. Once you have dropped your weight again then be so careful to stick to small amounts of healthy food at a time. Eat often. Getting too hungry is the kiss of death. When you are super hungry it's easy to gulp food and eat way too much. Chew, chew, chew your food and eat slowly! Write down everything you eat and how much. Drink lots of water. Protein is what will keep your hunger away.

Good luck!

Cheyenne :cool:

Go back to the beginning.

Start off with a 14 day liquid only diet.

I do this when I see weight is starting to creep up.

I have three zones.

The green zone is anything below 199.

The yellow zone is 200 to 205.

The red zone is anything above 205.

I had been in the green zone all year from 7/12/2014 when I reached 199 to almost New Years Eve 2014. Then I caught a bad sinus infection as I was getting ready to leave on a cruise with my lovely wife.

The Doctor placed me on anti-biotics and a hefty dose of prednisone. One of the side effects of prednisone is weight gain; albeit temporary. I went from 197 all the way up to 210 in a matter of 2 weeks.

So what do I do? When I get into the yellow zone I try to make sure I am not consuming more than 1500 calories and I kick up my exercise a bit more, which I did on the cruise.

When I hit the red zone I cut back even further; under 1200 calories. I don't wait (no pun intended ) for the weight to continue its climb.

Right now, I am back into the yellow zone at 204. I am working on keeping my intake between 1200 to 1500 calories and getting more exercise. The weight is coming back down.

I will not allow my weight to take off on me.

This is really the first challenge I have had to face since my weight loss.

I threw out all my old larger clothes. I like getting into my size 38 dungarees rather than size 48.

You can do it.

Back to basics.

Join a local support group if you can.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi, How are you doing?

Come back to us. We will cheer you on.

I have a tough time in the winter getting enough exercise, but I try. I love to walk my dogs for a mile. I like doing this at least 3 times a week, but with all the snow and miserable weather it has been tough.

Instead, while I think of it, snow shoveling has been a pretty good exercise too.

You can get back on track. Go back and visit your surgeon again as well as the nutritionist.

I also believe you should consider the bariatric psychologist. They can help you work through any of the "depressing" thoughts and negative feelings you are having right now.

Best wishes,

Ralph

DO IT :)

Back