• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Loss feeling frustrated

Kim M

Well I am 4 weeks post-op and have lost 22 pounds. While I am grateful but I feel like I am fighting for every pound. I have been on full liquids and my diet consists of 2 protein shakes and 1 serving of nonfat unflavored yogart and water. I sometimes will have some chicken broth when the water feels just to heavy in my belly usually later at night. Yesterday was my first day on thin puree. I ate 1/2 of a scrambled egg. I try not to compare myself to others, but I have lost more weight dieting on my own before surgery. Whats up?

Hi Kim,

Please don't beat yourself up this way. Four weeks is exactly 28 days and you are doing so well to have lost 22 pounds already. How is your activity level? Remember you don't want to lose it too fast. An average of five pounds a week is a tremendous feat on your part. The surgery is only a tool to help you. Be kind to yourself because you are doing great! As your activity level increases it will come off. You are doing everything right. Remember not to starve your body because it will say I don't like this and will hold onto every pound for protection. I know there are others who can say it better than I can but I think you are doing great!

Kim, I would have to agree. I think you are doing well. Just curious as to why you are on full liquids still....have you tried adding things to you diet?? I will be 2 weeks on Monday, but I have added a few very soft things in my diet. I spent the day with my husband, daughter and granddaughter (2) wanted ice cream and a cheese burger so we went to lunch at Braums...I had some chili and a sherbert freeze... I only took about 5 bites or so of the chili, and brought the rest home for later...after we got home I was sick...but other things are ok for me like cottage cheese, I only eat an ounce at a time so I can take my meds that have to be taken out of the capsule. I also can do creamy soups and am really careful about blending it good. I have tasted ground beef, and tiny chicken pieces, but I don't like how they taste or how their texture...gross.... Take things one day at a time, you didn't gain it all at once and you aren't going to lose it all at once.

I'm glad you can do protein, I can drink protein, but I am my main issue not being thirsty enough and I can't always drink my protein. I know I am not dehydrated though because I always check my urine.

Hi Kim,I have read your other posts and evrything must be so overwhelming for you right now with all the tests still going on with the vitamins and all. Like Joy said, 5 lbs a week is great so don't beat yourself up, your doing great, just do your best to get enough protien in to keep you strong. Hang in there things will work out. Tom

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was told I would lose most of my weight in the beginning so I guess I paniced. NanaG67 I had the gastric sleeve and week 4&5 are full liquids and I can try eggs, cottage cheese, pureed beans and some pureed soups. The problem is they only contain 7 grams of protein per ounce and I can only have 1-2 ounces. So I still have to get my protein in. Doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get my protein and water in sometimes. I will try something else today. I am kind of scared to eat food. I have to chew 20 times so the food does not get stuck in the new thin opening out of my pouch. Wow I can't believe you can try so many new things so soon after surgery. But I know each surgery is different and the time table to when to introduce new foods different. Good luck. TwoMas thanks for taking the time to link all my posts together. That is really so kind and makes me feel like someone gets what I am going through. Your success is an inspiration. Thanks.

Dear Kim M: Remember the 20 pounds you could lose in 4 weeks prior to surgery would come back as 30 or 40 gained. So, the 20 pounds you lost is gone forever! I think it takes a while for our bodies to catch up to what's happening. When your body and mind and new way of eating all come together the pounds will come off.

Good point Karenina. I am so happy to have found this site. Staying in my own head can often get me in trouble. I feel fortunate to put my thoughts out there and get feedback. It also feels wonderful to not be ashamed or judged. Thank you all so much.

Kim-You'll find yourself losing varying amounts of weight based on your food selections and activity level. You will also experience brief periods when the scale doesn't move. And you are correct about losing more wieght in the beginning. The beginning is 6 months to a year, not a few weeks :) Just follow your meal plans and it will come off. This is all still very new to you and it's normal to feel like you're not losing fast enough. It is what it is and we all lose at different rates.

HI Kim,
I know exactly how you feel. Let me just say that when I was at 4 weeks I had only lost 20 pounds and I was feeling like a complete failure. As my nurse explained it to me your body will catch up to you. You will lose fast all of a sudden. I am at 17 weeks now and have lost 60 pounds. I couldn't have done it without the surgery. Keep on doing as your doctor prescribes and all will be well.

I met with my surgeon on Thurs. My weight lost was 2 pounds for 2 weeks. I am 5 weeks post op and have lost 24 pounds. He told me I can expect to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week. He said from month 2 to month 6 his expectation is that I lose 30 pounds. He showed me my new stomach on an ex-ray and proceeded to tell me what a great job he had done. He said you are losing weight and are not hungry I cannot predict why some people lose more weight than others. I have to say this was discouraging. While I don't expect miracles, I think I would have been satisfied if he said 3 pounds a week. I am doing everything I am suppose to and just expected different results. I have to say that was the first day I felt hungry. But it was head hungry. All I can do is keep doing what I am doing and hope for the best. I have a lot of weight to lose and hope this surgery was the right one for me.

Kim please don't be discouraged. We are all on your side cheering you on (although I don't look as good in a cheerleading outfit as I did when I was 12).

Kim-I know what you are going through. Sometimes I only lose 1 pound every 2 weeks and sometimes it's 5 pounds. As long as the scale moves in the right direction I'm happy. If you increase your activity level you will lose faster but it still takes time. Hang in there, it will come off :) :) :)

I am trying not to compare weight loss. However, I met with one of my client's today who had the surgery in April and has lost 60 pounds. She is 8 years older than me and her activity level is about the same as mine. Her weight was about 15 pounds less than mine. She looks like a different person. I am really happy for her she has done so well with no complications. And yet there is that negative talk going on in my head, which just brings me down. I'm sure you all know what it is. Trying not to listen so I can beat myself up. It helps a lot to be able to say it so it doesn't stay in my head. Thanks for listening. Feeling better already. My head can be a really bad place to be sometimes.

don't feel bad im 8 1/2 months out and have only lost 22 pounds. I can't have any fill put in so i am trying to not eat by just willpower. not doing well.

For any of you who have had the lap band and are not happy with your weight loss you can always have another weight loss procedure done. You can have the RNY or sleeve.

Back