• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Loss medication

bboop56

My insurance requires 6 months on a weight loss plan that failed. I used contrave for over a year with horrible side effects and only a 10 lb weight loss. I don't want to have to start a weight loss program for the next 6 months.
Has anyone been able to use a medication for pre-surgery requirements sucessfully? I have BCBS insurance and its not clear really. I talked with claims and the guy told me it would count but my surgeons office isn't sure.

I have BC/BS and medicare. They have both been paying. They both only required the 6 months of doctor supervised weight loss along with some specific tests. I was supposed to lose weight, not gain it, but more importantly to see if I could follow an eating regimen. I followed the eating plan the nutritionist provided and I did lose weight.

I would encourage you not to use a weight-loss medication. The point of the surgery is to change your lifestyle. And that does not mean taking a pill and have a magical results.

Your nutritionist will tell you that you should be drinking a lot of water, it taking in a lot of protein, and prior to the surgery you can follow the pre-op diet that is prescribed for you.

You need to change and having the surgery will not help you if you don't. We all needed to change. You don't get so very obese without doing something extremely bad for your body.

Also, I think that the pre-op diet, as well as post-op diet, is something that makes your body feel really good. Then your mind feels really good. Then the pounds start shedding. And then you can just have the World on a String and begin a new life.

Welcome to the group and please feel free to ask questions about diet specifically. I haven't encountered a single person in the year-and-a-half I've been here who used diet pills. But everybody here has changed their eating Style, because it is required.

I would encourage you not to use a weight-loss medication. The point of the surgery is to change your lifestyle. And that does not mean taking a pill and have a magical results.

Your nutritionist will tell you that you should be drinking a lot of water, it taking in a lot of protein, and prior to the surgery you can follow the pre-op diet that is prescribed for you.

You need to change and having the surgery will not help you if you don't. We all needed to change. You don't get so very obese without doing something extremely bad for your body.

Also, I think that the pre-op diet, as well as post-op diet, is something that makes your body feel really good. Then your mind feels really good. Then the pounds start shedding. And then you can just have the World on a String and begin a new life.

Welcome to the group and please feel free to ask questions about diet specifically. I haven't encountered a single person in the year-and-a-half I've been here who used diet pills. But everybody here has changed their eating Style, because it is required.
She’s talking about the weight loss medication she previously used, per her post.

Yes, I understood that. She took Contrave for a year and only lost 10 lb. My point is that no one should take weight-loss medication. And that is not something that any bariatric surgeon would advise prior to or after surgery. People need to start changing the way they eat and not look for a pill that might not do anything.

I think there's always a danger of one medication interacting negatively with another, as well. Even if it isn't a known complication, it might happen to somebody who isn't expecting it. I think that most people here are really looking forward to getting off as many medications as possible and living a healthy life.

Yes, I understood that. She took Contrave for a year and only lost 10 lb. My point is that no one should take weight-loss medication. And that is not something that any bariatric surgeon would advise prior to or after surgery. People need to start changing the way they eat and not look for a pill that might not do anything.

I think there's always a danger of one medication interacting negatively with another, as well. Even if it isn't a known complication, it might happen to somebody who isn't expecting it. I think that most people here are really looking forward to getting off as many medications as possible and living a healthy life.
I took a medication that made me lose 60lbs and it wasn’t a weight loss medication. It was for migraines and it messed my brain up pretty bad so much so that I still have memory and speech problems. So sometimes weight loss can come at the cost of something else, not just from a weight loss pill. To me your post read as if you had only read her title. Sometimes your posts are more preachy rather than supportive/nurturing. That’s a personal view, and I’m not trying to hurt your feelings. By the way, I do hope you’re feeling better.

As part of my many efforts to lose weight, I took Phentermine and also phen/fen, orlistat and more I can't remember. I've also taken Contrave and every other weight reduction drug they've come up with. I did lose taking those and also had a good time with some.... lol.

I also gained all that weight back and more even though I was eating the same but just not taking the pills. At that time I didn't know the trick of increasing protein and decreasing starches. hahaha....

Those efforts did count in my efforts for insurance approval because I had tried and failed. The undocumented trials didn't count because the doctor couldn't provide documentation. You know the vinegar, cottage cheese/tomato, cabbage soup, rice, drinkers, ........

I took Meridia in 2007-2008 and lost 94 (in about 6 months) but regained within a year. Then tried Contrave in Jan 2018, lost 66 (in about 4 months) but gained 75 in about the same amount of time. A few months after that regain, a light bulb went off to finally accept the tool of surgery.

Sometimes your posts are more preachy rather than supportive/nurturing. That’s a personal view, and I’m not trying to hurt your feelings. By the way, I do hope you’re feeling better.
I'm sorry you feel that way, and that the three members who gave you a thumbs-up also apparently feel that way. This is a bariatric support group, not a diet pill support group. Our discussion here is supposed to be about bariatric surgery. It is not supposed to be about diet pills.

But I'm even more sorry that you felt the need to be rude to me in a space that should be devoted to support and information about bariatric surgery. Are you the arbiter of what should be expressed and how it should be expressed? Personal opinions about another member do not belong in our threads. We have the ability to message each other privately if we have something to say.

And by the way have I ever been preachy and not supportive of you? Or of Brenda or Bill or Lois? I have made more than 2100 posts to this group and I have usually heard that my posts were very helpful.

One thing I'm absolutely certain of, is that I have never taken the inventory of another group member. It's a group with a lot of personalities in it and I have been insulted many times. Usually, I just shine it on.

I appreciate the structure of this group and the guidelines for posting and all the forums and sub forums that cover so many things.

I responded to this comment: "Has anyone been able to use a medication for pre-surgery requirements sucessfully?" To me that indicated that our new friend had no intention of complying with the doctor's and nutritionist's plans for the pre-op, which is an essential step before being qualified for bariatric surgery. Taking a pill instead of following your doctor's instructions indicates to me that you are still in the wrong frame of mind. I will not support that.

My opinion on this subject is as valid as yours. Yet I get the impression you think your opinion was more important and expressed better than mine.

But for sure I would never evaluate one of your posts critically in front of everyone in the group. You have ruined my effectiveness here. No one's going to listen to me now.

You have been here a little over 4 months. I have been here since the 5th of March, 2019. And even with that "seniority," I would never say anything to anyone like you said to me. If you searched through my 2100 postings, many of which I made before you arrived, you would see plainly that I am all about being supportive.

And finally, you need to know that you really hurt my feelings deeply. people who hurt other people's feelings always say the same thing: "I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings." Well then why are you saying it? Do you think is going to amount to something constructive?

And since Brenda, Bill, and Lois think that was a really good thing that you wrote, I am even more hurt. Maybe you don't care. The damage has been done. On top of everything else that has been going on in my life and in the world, now I get this.

By the by the way, I am right about diet pills. And if you would ask your doctor you would find out that diet pills are never okay to achieve the pre-op that is required of anyone who wants to have bariatric surgery. Using diet pills instead of complying with the required ramp-up how to eat is almost like fraud.

I'm done.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and that the three members who gave you a thumbs-up also apparently feel that way. This is a bariatric support group, not a diet pill support group. Our discussion here is supposed to be about bariatric surgery. It is not supposed to be about diet pills.

But I'm even more sorry that you felt the need to be rude to me in a space that should be devoted to support and information about bariatric surgery. Are you the arbiter of what should be expressed and how it should be expressed? Personal opinions about another member do not belong in our threads. We have the ability to message each other privately if we have something to say.

And by the way have I ever been preachy and not supportive of you? Or of Brenda or Bill or Lois? I have made more than 2100 posts to this group and I have usually heard that my posts were very helpful.

One thing I'm absolutely certain of, is that I have never taken the inventory of another group member. It's a group with a lot of personalities in it and I have been insulted many times. Usually, I just shine it on.

I appreciate the structure of this group and the guidelines for posting and all the forums and sub forums that cover so many things.

I responded to this comment: "Has anyone been able to use a medication for pre-surgery requirements sucessfully?" To me that indicated that our new friend had no intention of complying with the doctor's and nutritionist's plans for the pre-op, which is an essential step before being qualified for bariatric surgery. Taking a pill instead of following your doctor's instructions indicates to me that you are still in the wrong frame of mind. I will not support that.

My opinion on this subject is as valid as yours. Yet I get the impression you think your opinion was more important and expressed better than mine.

But for sure I would never evaluate one of your posts critically in front of everyone in the group. You have ruined my effectiveness here. No one's going to listen to me now.

You have been here a little over 4 months. I have been here since the 5th of March, 2019. And even with that "seniority," I would never say anything to anyone like you said to me. If you searched through my 2100 postings, many of which I made before you arrived, you would see plainly that I am all about being supportive.

And finally, you need to know that you really hurt my feelings deeply. people who hurt other people's feelings always say the same thing: "I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings." Well then why are you saying it? Do you think is going to amount to something constructive?

And since Brenda, Bill, and Lois think that was a really good thing that you wrote, I am even more hurt. Maybe you don't care. The damage has been done. On top of everything else that has been going on in my life and in the world, now I get this.

By the by the way, I am right about diet pills. And if you would ask your doctor you would find out that diet pills are never okay to achieve the pre-op that is required of anyone who wants to have bariatric surgery. Using diet pills instead of complying with the required ramp-up how to eat is almost like fraud.

I'm done.
I’ve seen you react like this to every post that points this out to you. I really love the support of this group. But maybe, for my own well being, I should leave here for a while despite all the other nurturing members. It’s funny when I talk about this group, I always talk about you as the matriarch, the experienced one, and how you’ve over come a lot-I never get into specifics because this is a private support community to me-and that your experience has been such a guiding light to this place. I understand your opinions on my post and I am not offended by them.

I'm done.
I'm sorry you feel this way Diane. I feel 3mom made great points in her post about her medication experience. I'm sorry that you felt any of our thumb's up were against you. I'm also going to start distancing myself from the group. There tends to be too much drama with this kind of thing and I already have a ton of that going on in my life. There is so much I don't discuss because I try to always put out positive vibes on this site. Anyway, I feel bad that you're offended but also think 3mom has the right to her own opinions.

As part of my many efforts to lose weight, I took Phentermine and also phen/fen, orlistat and more I can't remember. I've also taken Contrave and every other weight reduction drug they've come up with. I did lose taking those and also had a good time with some.... lol.

I also gained all that weight back and more even though I was eating the same but just not taking the pills. At that time I didn't know the trick of increasing protein and decreasing starches. hahaha....

Those efforts did count in my efforts for insurance approval because I had tried and failed. The undocumented trials didn't count because the doctor couldn't provide documentation. You know the vinegar, cottage cheese/tomato, cabbage soup, rice, drinkers, ........
I took belviq to lose weight. I tried it for over a year and only lost 10lbs and horrible side effects. I guess we all have pretty much tried some sort of different methods to shedding lbs. b4 we considered surgery :)

Yes, I’m definitely tired of using weight loss medication. It sometimes would help and sometimes your body gets immune to it. Then you gain again. I’ve tired a lot of diets and challenges.... even a water fasting challenge that had me not able to do anything.

Back