• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight loss slowing after 2 months post op. Just me?

mckenzie_01

I had gastric bypass on February 25, 2020 and I have lost 35 lbs so far. Which of course I am happy about, however, I am only losing maybe 2 lbs a week. Other people I see are losing 5-15 a week. I am following doctors orders, exercising etc. so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I see people say that they've lost 60 pounds in 3 months and am wondering if my body is still adjusting or if I'm just going to be someone who loses slowly or if this just isn't meant to be for me to lose. My issues with slowing has been almost 4 weeks now. I had a stall for about two weeks and then started losing again but then only 1-2 lbs a week. Just curious if anyone else has this issue or if there are any reassuring cases I can hear about. Thanks everyone! Just a tad discouraged.

I’m wondering if it’s the amount you have to lose vs the amount other people have to lose. I would assume that someone who needs to lose 100 pounds will not lose as quickly as someone who needs to lose 200. It’s hard to compare yourself to others when our bodies are different. Also, gastric bypass won’t lose as quickly as the sleeve, but from what my doctor said, bypass will have a longer loss period. Like 18 months I think. Not to say loss stops then, I think it’s the bulk of loss slows more at that point.

I had gastric bypass on February 25, 2020 and I have lost 35 lbs so far. I had a stall for about two weeks and then started losing again but then only 1-2 lbs a week. Just curious if anyone else has this issue or if there are any reassuring cases I can hear about. Thanks everyone! Just a tad discouraged.

Belated welcome to the group. This is your second post but I did not see your first one. So pardon my oversight.

Often times people worry if they're not losing 5 lbs a week because they did that at first oh, but that is not what the body is designed to do. Nutritionally speaking when dieting or cutting down on carbs sugar and fat, a1 to 2 lb. loss every week is optimal and cause for celebration. Your body will fluctuate, both in losing and in gaining and it may frustrate you in either case. Just check yourself out, make sure you are doing what you are supposed to do and then go on. If there is any real weird weight gain or loss, call the doctor.

Hello
I had RNY bypass on March 2 2020. I am 7.5 weeks post op and I’ve lost 30 lbs. I followed up with the dietitian on our team. She seems to think this is normal. I am disappointed thinking that I should have lost more weight. I feel like the weight should be melting off. I have followed all the “rules” with regards to diet and exercise. I have another 100 pounds to lose to get to a “healthy weight”. I think consistency is key. Hang in there!! We’re in it for the long haul :))

I had gastric bypass on February 25, 2020 and I have lost 35 lbs so far. Which of course I am happy about, however, I am only losing maybe 2 lbs a week. Other people I see are losing 5-15 a week. I am following doctors orders, exercising etc. so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I see people say that they've lost 60 pounds in 3 months and am wondering if my body is still adjusting or if I'm just going to be someone who loses slowly or if this just isn't meant to be for me to lose. My issues with slowing has been almost 4 weeks now. I had a stall for about two weeks and then started losing again but then only 1-2 lbs a week. Just curious if anyone else has this issue or if there are any reassuring cases I can hear about. Thanks everyone! Just a tad discouraged.
Hi!!! OMG I’m in the same boat. My surgery was the same day. Actually had a telemedicine (follow up) call with my surgeon yesterday. She stated this was normal for me. I was one of their smallest patients in years. She said don’t be worried. You’re probably losing inches more than weight but don’t feel down your weight will continue to go down. She also said some patients hit a plateau 2-3 months after surgery. McKenzie PLEASE don’t feel discouraged you’re not alone. Remember this is just a phase. You WILL continue to lose weight

Back