• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Loss Stall After Surgery

Mkochie13

Hello,

I had gastric bypass surgery on 9/2 this year. I am about 4 weeks post op. I started my preop diet at 224. The day of my surgery I was 209. Since the surgery, I am now 197. I have stayed at 197 for about almost 2 weeks now and wondered if it was normal to experience a stall this early? My surgeon said I should lose about 4lbs a week for the first 6 months. Am I just overthinking it? I know stalls are bound to happen, but I didn't think it would happen this soon.

Thanks!

Apparently there is an iconic "3 week stall" that most people hit. Stalls are normal and they will pass, just stay focused on following your plan and try not to weigh yourself so much.
I lost 21 lbs the first 2 weeks and then nothing for about 2 weeks and then dropped another 9 lbs the following week.
Now, 6 months post op I seem to be in another stall for the last 2ish weeks.
KEEP SWIMMING!

This is my first time chiming in. Is it okay to ask my questions here.

Absolutely. Welcome to your group. The posting guidelines are on the home page, but aside from those obvious courtesies and instructions, everything you chime in is welcome and free.

What would you like to share? We can answer a lot of questions, but not everything, because our answers are based, for the most part, on personal experience, not science. And we are forbidden to give medical advice. That's one of the guidelines.

This is a great group. I've been here for many years and so much wisdom has passed through these portals. Please feel free to ask or tell us what's on your mind.

I'm diane.

I'm post op and I have had diarrhea since I left the hospital. Everything I eat flows right through me. Is this common the first few weeks after surgery?
I don't know if it is common but I had that same issue (kinda) I was constipated for the first few days but then after that I had diarrhea for a week or 2. Everything went right through me too, I believe it got better once I started eating soft but solid foods.

I'm post op and I have had diarrhea since I left the hospital. Everything I eat flows right through me. Is this common the first few weeks after surgery?
I’m one week post-op and made the mistake of taking one too many stool softeners after feeling constipated. Did not feel very good the last couple days with watery stools. I’ve been working hard at replacing my fluids and electrolytes.

Oh I remember right after surgery... You couldn't trust anything! I was always running to the toilet due to diarrhea. It wasn't until a little later that I went the opposite way and was constipated. Good luck! It does get better

Hello,

I had gastric bypass surgery on 9/2 this year. I am about 4 weeks post op. I started my preop diet at 224. The day of my surgery I was 209. Since the surgery, I am now 197. I have stayed at 197 for about almost 2 weeks now and wondered if it was normal to experience a stall this early? My surgeon said I should lose about 4lbs a week for the first 6 months. Am I just overthinking it? I know stalls are bound to happen, but I didn't think it would happen this soon.

Thanks!
My first and only stall was at 3 weeks post op. A girlfriend of mine also stalled on that same week. We BOTH actually gained 2-5lbs which scared us until we talked to our doctors. They both said that it can be normal when you start to introduce more solids around that time. The very next week her and I both lost the weight we had gained plus some! You’re gonna be fine, I promise. You’re doing wonderful :)

This only happened when I had gallbladder issues and then got worse after they removed it. If it keeps happening then talk to your doctor about it because we become dehydrated VERY quickly. I take cholestramine for a binder. It works like magic!

The stall is definitely real .. I try to avoid the scale due to it giving me more anxiety and the fear of “ this isn’t working “ so trying hard to stay positive but it is getting to me that I’m stuck and feel I haven’t lost anything at all although I have . I’m 5 weeks post opt gastric bypass

Hello,

Thanks!
How’s the weight loss going? I’m now 3 weeks out and have only lost 1# in the past 2 weeks. I definitely feel thinner, with my clothes fitting much better, but like you said, it can be hard not to overthink.

The stall will break itself, but you can give it a swift kick by increasing your activity. It's hard to feel a strong desire to move around after surgery, but it really helps. Even if you're just watching tv, you can stand next to the couch and walk in place, bringing your knees up high, for 30 minutes or longer from beginning to end of the program. Any movement will need to burn a few calories in order to happen, so don't think you have to run a marathon or anything. Your body conserves calories via adaptive thermogenesis if it thinks you're not eating enough. But if you move a little, your body will say it's all good, because you're moving and need more calories to burn, so it will release its grip.

Don't worry about a stall. Worry if you gain, but first, be really honest with yourself, and keep a food journal documenting every crumb you eat and every step you take. Sometimes we need to be deliberate because eating is so unconscious. Worrying doesn't help, but being concerned does. You're in charge, but you have to take charge.

Back