• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight loss stall.

I lost 35 pounds in the first month, 25 in the second, 15 in the third and then I stalled for several months. It's a natural thing officially named "adaptive thermogenesis," and it's triggered by the body's natural metabolism when calories are drastically reduced for a significant period. It doesn't usually kick in for a month or so but every body responds uniquely.

I think I stalled for five months, even though I was going to the gym and eating according to my nutritionist's guidelines. It was maddening. But I started losing weight again at a strong pace when I stopped exercising and started hiking and camping. There's a big difference between taking an aerobics class and actually hiking in the mountains.

But again, each body has a unique response to how food is processed. I think the key is more about the TYPE of activity one expends. After I started hiking in the wilderness, eating what I could carry in my backpack and the highs and lows of the terrain, the weight started melting off again and at 14 months I'd lost 115 pounds.

Some details of my diet are here: What to eat now? The recipe for Magic Milk can be found by doing a search of this group. It was given to me by my dietician.

If you're less than a month out, I don't think it's a serious stall. Try to relax, drink lots of water, weigh and measure everything you eat and visit the FDA site to get a breakdown of nutrients so you can balance your diet.

Those stalls are mentally difficult, even knowing that they happen to almost everyone and that this too shall pass. I was rolling along, dropping pounds like Hansel and Gretel drop breadcrumbs. Then a few days passed without the scale moving. Then a few more days. My first stall lasted almost 3 weeks. I was DISTRAUGHT! I was positive I was doing something wrong and had already messed up the whole surgery. Or perhaps my surgeon did it wrong. In short, I was a hot ass mess.

Diane's explanation is medically sound. But doesn't address the mental toll that stalling can take. The whole process is challenging and most of us, who tried and tried to lose weight, find it almost too easy to decide that the problem is US. When there is act not a problem at all.

Now would be a good time to take your measurements, if you haven't already. Those inches still move when the scale doesn't. Find your own non scale victories that you are looking forward to and focus on those when the scale isn't moving. This probably won't be your only stall. Hopefully, you will be better prepared than I was lol

Now would be a good time to take your measurements, if you haven't already. Those inches still move when the scale doesn't.

This is a great idea. I did it and the first place I really noticed it was my neck. It was something like 19 inches and ultimately went down to 14. That was such a happy moment. It's harder to measure your waist and abdomen and see results because fat turns into flab unless you're doing situps and planks. Even then, it doesn't show as dramatically. But the neck, and ultimately the face, really shows weight loss as you're going down.

i had a stall for almost 2 weeks. The thing with me was I put my body into starvation mode. I was so afraid to eat too many calories and afraid of gaining weight that i was under eating. I was still on the 400 calorie thing at month 4. As soon as i upped the calories and added more carbs to my diet, I started losing the weight again. It was very difficult mentally and I too thought i was doing something wrong or that the weight i lost was all i would lose. My nutritionist said i was not eating enough, and to "eat a baked potato" as a carb. I told her i was avoiding potatoes like the plague because of their carb count and lack of nutrition really. As everyone on here will tell you, just stay the course and the stall will end. You will get there, we just have to be patient when we stall.

Carbs get a bad rap! They are necessary for a complete diet. The real goal is to think about food in terms of nutritional value. Potatoes have lots of nutrients. The best thing to do is keep to minimally processed foods. Beans have lots of carbs but are very good for you. High fiber, vitamins, slow to digest so they keep you full for longer etc.

My nutritionist said to stick to 30% fat, 35% protein and 35% carbs for my macros.

We're given so much bad dietary information, in the name of weight loss.

Low fat is best .. Except they add sodium and sugars to make up the taste.
Low carb is best .. Except they add extra fat and chemicals to make up the taste.
Low cholesterol .. Except eggs are the best protein source out there and have a perfect amino acid profile.

All of natures food is good for you. It all also has calories so, that needs to be taken into consideration. I have a microwave chip maker. It only makes about 15 potato chips (which is good!) but it doesn't use oil. Sometimes you really just want a potato chip!! They're also awesome on chili instead of crackers or fritos, which is what I used to use.

I have a microwave chip maker. It only makes about 15 potato chips (which is good!) but it doesn't use oil.

Wow, Missy, I never heard of this before! I just looked it up online and it looks like something I'll be jumping on board to buy! I love potato chips, and potatoes, as you know, are full of nutrients not found in other vegetables. I also love sweet potatoes, though I'm not sure they're really in the potato family. Still, I'll make a dinner where sweet potatoes are the central feature of the dish. There are so many spices and herbs you can add to them to enhance the flavor. Thanks for mentioning this tool. I'm so excited to get one!

I'd give anything to have a baked potato right now. Not in the carbs phase yet. I sneak a taco size tortilla once in a while with a meal if it fits in with my daily carb totals. Seriously, if they allow protein bars with all their carbs, a tortilla doesnt hurt. Never upset my tummy either.
Protein bars can be misleading....i bet people think they are eating healthy when they eat certain brands, but if they read the label they will find not all protein bars are created equal.

Protein bars can be misleading....i bet people think they are eating healthy when they eat certain brands, but if they read the label they will find not all protein bars are created equal.

Say it louder for the people in the back!!!

I really try to avoid anything with more than 5 ingredients altogether. Although I am a sucker for sugar free coffee flavoring .. Which is nothing BUT chemicals. So, I'm hardly a paragon of virtue lol But 1 thing is better than 10 things. So, moderation I guess?!?

Say it louder for the people in the back!!!

I really try to avoid anything with more than 5 ingredients altogether. Although I am a sucker for sugar free coffee flavoring .. Which is nothing BUT chemicals. So, I'm hardly a paragon of virtue lol But 1 thing is better than 10 things. So, moderation I guess?!?
Well i am in love with Coca Cola but since that is not in the diet plan, i switched to Coke Zero which has bad stuff in it too. Ive given up a lot of foods i love so i am not giving up my Coke Zero!!!!! Most of the time it gets so watered down that i dont drink it all anyway. We all have our vices! i also had the sleeve so i think that is why i can still drink the Coke Zero. Not everyone may be able to tolerate the carbonation, artificial sweetner etc.

I’m a Coke Zero drinker too ! One or two a day isn’t going to hurt if you can tolerate it. The studies say you have to drink at least 12 a day to get any effects from it and they study was on rats. Remember when they said eggs were bad for you

Last edited:
I am very picky with my protein bars, there is a lot of garbage out there. For right now, so close to surgery, I am just trying to fit my macro targets exactly as RX by my dietician to keep my weightloss going hopefully. And they don't upset my stomach the way firm proteins have. Its an easy way to insure I can have something at work that agrees with me.

Back