• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight loss stall

Gastric bypass on 10/2 and so far, I've lost 21lbs. I have been stuck for 2 weeks. I walk 3 times weekly, but I find myself struggling to get all my protein in. Any suggestions?
Protein is really important so you don’t lose muscle. I have struggled at times to get my protein in, but I’ve found that even adding a tablespoon of protein powder to things during the day can help boost my levels. Try to make sure your calorie in take isn’t too low. Stalls are frustrating, but it’ll pass.

Relax. It does happen. Your body thinks your starving and is holding onto the weight. Give your body a chance to catch up. Several of us have had this happen. I lost for 2 weeks and then not an ounce for 3 weeks. I know exactly how scary and stressful it is to stop losing almost immediately. You will absolutely start losing again, when your body is ready. There are a bunch of posts on here about stalls/plateaus and how and why they happen. Even more on us regular folks freaking out about them lol Try to relax and don't weigh yourself for a week or so. As long as you are doing what your weight loss team told you to do, you'll be fine.

A few things to know/keep in mind.

1. You aren't doing anything wrong (assuming you are following post surgery guidelines)
  2. Exercise doesn't really help with weight loss, but it's great for overall health. Don't count on that for breaking a stall.
  3. Almost everyone experiences stalls that last days or weeks, and it's totally natural and normal (but no less frustrating)
  4. Fat loss is not a natural body process; we are not designed to lose weight, we are designed to protect weight
  5. Our bodies have to go through adjustments in this process, and how quickly that happens varies from person to person
  6. Continue to make good food choices, stay well hydrated, work in some resistance exercise, and you WILL reach your goals!
Your body composition continues to change, and regardless of what the scale reads, good things are happening in your body!

Back