• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Loss

Teresia

Hello everyone, I had gastric bypass surgery on October 2, 2023. I've lost about 50 pounds and now it seems that I'm only losing about 5 pounds every few weeks. Is this normal? I'm due for hip surgery in April of 2024 and I have to be under 200 pounds for them to do the surgery so I'm getting a little upset thinking that I will not make it. Right now I weight 221 pounds. Need some encouragement please!

Thanks
Teresia

Hello everyone, I had gastric bypass surgery on October 2, 2023. I've lost about 50 pounds and now it seems that I'm only losing about 5 pounds every few weeks. Is this normal? I'm due for hip surgery in April of 2024 and I have to be under 200 pounds for them to do the surgery so I'm getting a little upset thinking that I will not make it. Right now I weight 221 pounds. Need some encouragement please!

Thanks
Teresia
Yes, Teresia, that's totally normal. It's called a plateau and it's coming from your body's protective instincts. It wants to make sure you're not starving, so it reserves calories and slows the metabolism.

One thing you might try is focusing on the successes you've already had, really, give yourself a huge pat on the back, and turn your self-compliments into affirmations. You deserve all the praise you can muster.

And try something meditative, like closing your eyes and repeating positive thoughts like mantras. Breathe deeply in and out, and try to pair your positive thought to inhaling, then blow out the negative thought on your exhale. Congratulations on your huge weight loss, but remember, that's not normal. The body isn't built to shed weight in such a large amount in a short time.

Talk to your medical team or support group, or get a therapist who understands eating disorders and self-esteem-building.

You are awesome.

Last edited:
Going back to pre op diet for week can boost weight loss as then when resuming reg diet body thinks you’re feeding it .
My wife is going thru same issues for upcoming back surgery . Last 10 lbs has been hard after loosing 90

Back