• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight loss

Tokash

post surgery...what did your monthly weight loss look like?

When after surgery did you start seen a loss?

I am 2 weeks post and the first week I lost 7ish pounds. Week 2, nothing. Had my follow up this morning and the doc said he's where he would expect me to be but I'm skeptical on loss.

Being on this site I've heard from so many people with extremely different rates of loss. Your body is going to do what is right for you. As long as you're working the program, it'll all come together. My advice is to take measurements because if you go a few weeks without a loss (or even the occasional slight gain), you'll see that your progress has been in inches.

Your starting weight is also a factor. Someone with 200 pounds to loose is going to loose a lot faster than someone with 100. Also, if you lost a significant amount before surgery, your body may still be catching up from that as well.

I had the bypass. I lost a lot on the pre-op diet and the first week or two. Then literally not a pound for 2 1/2 weeks. I had myself so freaked out I had to stop weighing. I let the doctor weigh me now. STILL. Even though I'm almost 3 months out. I know it's WEIGHT LOSS surgery, but I get too caught up in the number, So, I focus on eating the right foods, getting my protein, drinking my water and getting some exercise more days than not. They say you should average between 5-15lbs a month during the first few months. You're already beating the low end. I LIVE at the low end. Which, honestly, is fine. I'm still losing faster than I could have before the surgery. It's still working for me. And it will continue to work for you. So, don't stress yourself out if you can help it. The surgery works. Your body just needs a second to catch up.

Being on this site I've heard from so many people with extremely different rates of loss. Your body is going to do what is right for you. As long as you're working the program, it'll all come together. My advice is to take measurements because if you go a few weeks without a loss (or even the occasional slight gain), you'll see that your progress has been in inches.

Your starting weight is also a factor. Someone with 200 pounds to loose is going to loose a lot faster than someone with 100. Also, if you lost a significant amount before surgery, your body may still be catching up from that as well.
I started the liquid diet at 236, weighed in the morning of surgery at 226. One week post at a doc appointment I was 219.

If i could lose 100 that would be awsome but realistically I would be happy with losing 70, anything beyond that is bonus.

I started the liquid diet at 236, weighed in the morning of surgery at 226. One week post at a doc appointment I was 219.

If i could lose 100 that would be awsome but realistically I would be happy with losing 70, anything beyond that is bonus.
You really could get to 100+!!! My initial goal was 100, I surpassed that in under 6 months. Now at 18 months post-op, I've settled in with a 157 pound loss!!! That's essentially like loosing a whole person who weighs 25 pounds more than I currently weigh! I never dreamed I'd be at this weight! So really, the sky is the limit with this tool if you follow doctor's instructions. I wish you all the success that that I've had. :)

You really could get to 100+!!! My initial goal was 100, I surpassed that in under 6 months. Now at 18 months post-op, I've settled in with a 157 pound loss!!! That's essentially like loosing a whole person who weighs 25 pounds more than I currently weigh! I never dreamed I'd be at this weight! So really, the sky is the limit with this tool if you follow doctor's instructions. I wish you all the success that that I've had. :)

100 would be my max as any thinner than that would be too thin and I wouldn't look healthy. If I land anywhere between 150-170 I would be content.

post surgery...what did your monthly weight loss look like?

When after surgery did you start seen a loss?

I am 2 weeks post and the first week I lost 7ish pounds. Week 2, nothing. Had my follow up this morning and the doc said he's where he would expect me to be but I'm skeptical on loss.
Don't fret this pause. Your body is making tons of adjustments to its new biology. Stay the course on food, the calorie deficit, and water. If you do that, the fat will melt. Weight loss in never linear, it ebbs and flows like the tide, sometimes big tides, sometimes practically still, and maybe even a bit of backward, but staying on track will bring fat loss. There will be longer stalls in your future. They are a natural (albeit frustrating) part of the process.

Every oz you've lost since surgery is a victory! It doesn't have to come off in pounds. Every minute you have less fat than you did before is a good minute!

You've got this, and you'll be great!

If i could lose 100 that would be awesome but realistically I would be happy with losing 70, anything beyond that is bonus.
You're just 10 pounds lighter than I am at 246 before liquid diet. (I start liquids on 1 Oct). Frankly, at 5'5" I'm not sure I want to lose 100 lbs. I'd be very happy at a final weight at 170ish. Anymore than that, this 55 year old body will probably look really scary. I know I'll have loose skin, but I think the more I lose, the more skin I'll have to deal with. I think at 170, I won't be too icky that I'll need surgery. All of this is wild guessing, of course. I may not have control of these things though, if my body decides it's new set point. ??

Anymore than that, this 55 year old body will probably look really scary. I know I'll have loose skin, but I think the more I lose, the more skin I'll have to deal with. I think at 170, I won't be too icky that I'll need surgery.
Lisa, I was 241 on my DOS, 5'3" & 56 years old. I was also terrified of loose skin, too. But consider the fact that every sag or fold you have right now is made worse by the weight that's pulling it down.

I was particularly worried about my breasts, which were already pendulous and an overflowing DD in my bra, and my upper arms continuing into my armpits and upper back.

Taking off the weight improved those areas greatly. Less weight, more perky and tight.

I didn't expect the lack of improvement in my apron or the deflated balloon effect on my face.

I'm extremely vain, not conceited, overly concerned about my looks. My mom pounded it into me how ugly I was. In fact, I looked a lot like her. There was a lot of self-loathing on her part, which was passed on to me.

Post-op, I worked out to build muscle where I could, but also consulted with cosmetic surgeons. They told me they couldnt believe I'd ever had WLS, and I was buck naked as they evaluated me. My efforts at muscle-building had served me well, and my hiking and canoeing had toned all kinds of muscles.

I still had my apron and I was growing yeast there between showers. I qualified for a panniculectomy, and the hospital would pay for it with Charity Care. But after it was explained to me, I chickened out.

A facelift would have affected the dimples I had inherited from my dad, and they were my saving grace. losing them would just take a little more away from the little self-esteem I had left after being brainwashed by my mom.

I decided to live with my new flaws and celebrate my perk and health and active lifestyle. I avoided sleeveless shirts and learned how good posture improved everything.

I've posted this photo of me 10 months after surgery before, but I'm posting it again, as well as a photo of my wrinkled face taken in the last week. Remember that I'm 13 years post-op and 69 years old.

You're just 10 pounds lighter than I am at 246 before liquid diet. (I start liquids on 1 Oct). Frankly, at 5'5" I'm not sure I want to lose 100 lbs. I'd be very happy at a final weight at 170ish. Anymore than that, this 55 year old body will probably look really scary. I know I'll have loose skin, but I think the more I lose, the more skin I'll have to deal with. I think at 170, I won't be too icky that I'll need surgery. All of this is wild guessing, of course. I may not have control of these things though, if my body decides it's new set point. ??
I've found that my body has decided all along where it wants to be and for how long it stays there. I initially set a 100 pound goal, I'm 5'6" and started at exactly 290. I surpassed that goal very quickly and revised my goal to 168 since that was my previous all-time low weight as an adult. I passed that goal and my body settled in the mid 160s for about 3 months, I thought that was as far I'd get. I weighed 163 the morning of my body contouring surgery. The surgeon removed 10.2 pounds in skin & tissue so that tipped me to 152.8. I thought I was done loosing. But my body kicked back into weight loss mode for 3 more months and I lost an additional 20 pounds. I finally leveled out in May, 14 months after RNY. The past 4 months, I've been maintaining, going up and down the same 3 pounds. I'm thinner than I ever expected but it's nice knowing that I have about a 15 pound buffer before the inevitable "year 2 gain" I've read about. Seeing my body right after surgery at about 150 lbs, I'd be very happy at that weight for the rest of my life. :)

Lisa, I was 241 on my DOS, 5'3" & 56 years old. I was also terrified of loose skin, too. But consider the fact that every sag or fold you have right now is made worse by the weight that's pulling it down.

I was particularly worried about my breasts, which were already pendulous and an overflowing DD in my bra, and my upper arms continuing into my armpits and upper back.

Taking off the weight improved those areas greatly. Less weight, more perky and tight.

I didn't expect the lack of improvement in my apron or the deflated balloon effect on my face.

I'm extremely vain, not conceited, overly concerned about my looks. My mom pounded it into me how ugly I was. In fact, I looked a lot like her. There was a lot of self-loathing on her part, which was passed on to me.

Post-op, I worked out to build muscle where I could, but also consulted with cosmetic surgeons. They told me they couldnt believe I'd ever had WLS, and I was buck naked as they evaluated me. My efforts at muscle-building had served me well, and my hiking and canoeing had toned all kinds of muscles.

I still had my apron and I was growing yeast there between showers. I qualified for a panniculectomy, and the hospital would pay for it with Charity Care. But after it was explained to me, I chickened out.

A facelift would have affected the dimples I had inherited from my dad, and they were my saving grace. losing them would just take a little more away from the little self-esteem I had left after being brainwashed by my mom.

I decided to live with my new flaws and celebrate my perk and health and active lifestyle. I avoided sleeveless shirts and learned how good posture improved everything.

I've posted this photo of me 10 months after surgery before, but I'm posting it again, as well as a photo of my wrinkled face taken in the last week. Remember that I'm 13 years post-op and 69 years old.View attachment 3150

View attachment 3151
You look amazing

Back