• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weird feelings going on

Lesa Marie

I’ll be 10 weeks post op this Wednesday and I’m experiencing some big changes. It’s a very different feeling to not be able to enjoy food much anymore but instead I’m using it to stay alive. Don’t get me wrong, I still do enjoy it but it’s so short lived that when I choose foods to put in my body I know they have to count cause I won’t be able to get much in. Then I had a day like today where I felt like I have been staying full ALL day long but in reality I’m not doing anything different. It starts to play on your mind and making me think I’ve over ate or I’ve ate the wrong things. I did notice today that because I was feeling full all the time that it was irritating me cause I wanted so bad to enjoy the little food I can eat. I think I will just cut back tomorrow until my stomach starts feeling normal again (whatever that is lol). Hope everyone is having a good start the their week!

It took me a while to adjust to the portion size, but in many ways, I feel like I enjoy food more than I used to, and I think some of that comes from a sense of control. There have been some times when I've wished I could have a few more bites of something really good, but I've noticed that usually comes when I eat too fast instead of slowing down to enjoy the smaller/fewer bites. When I do that, I don't get quite the same urge to feel like I've missed out because I can't eat as much.

It is quite a mind game, no doubt. There are lots of things to wrap our minds around to get used to a different relationship with food.

It took me a while to adjust to the portion size, but in many ways, I feel like I enjoy food more than I used to, and I think some of that comes from a sense of control. There have been some times when I've wished I could have a few more bites of something really good, but I've noticed that usually comes when I eat too fast instead of slowing down to enjoy the smaller/fewer bites. When I do that, I don't get quite the same urge to feel like I've missed out because I can't eat as much.

It is quite a mind game, no doubt. There are lots of things to wrap our minds around to get used to a different relationship with food.
Being that I’m still new to this, I have a difficult time slowing down to eat. It’s not yet “normal” to me to take a bite, chew it forever and then put my fork down for a minute before taking another. Work in progress but it makes a ton of sense what you said. Thanks for sharing.

Lesa, I am 31/2 months out just had an appt this week. I asked about days I feel like I am hungry and days I feel full all day. I was told stress may do the full feeling, also that it is some swelling in the stomach as to why I am full all day. I have a hard time on these days getting my water in not to mention proteins. Maybe this could be the same with you. Good luck

Lesa, I am 31/2 months out just had an appt this week. I asked about days I feel like I am hungry and days I feel full all day. I was told stress may do the full feeling, also that it is some swelling in the stomach as to why I am full all day. I have a hard time on these days getting my water in not to mention proteins. Maybe this could be the same with you. Good luck
That’s interesting. I’ve been exhausted with baby not sleeping well at night so maybe that has something to do with it.

Back