• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Welcoming New life...Surg Date July 15. Anxious

DMG

This journey of bariatric surgery has really put me out of my comfort zone! In many ways! To begin with, admitting I'm "Morbidly Obese". What a tough rock to swallow saying that out loud. Next, is telling my husband my weight. Then onto addressing these issues with my Dr. and taking steps to make changes. Just when I thought these uncomfortable encounters were over, I had to talk to a Psychologist...a complete stranger. Asking extremely personal questions. Answering honestly. Come to find out, Im not as crazy as I had thought! That, or the craziness of todays society has made me seem very NORMAL :) ! He told me that my support system isn't incredible and that I needed to seek other means of support. Which lands me to another "out of comfort zone". HERE! To divulge my weaknesses(which previously, I, of course NEVER had!!). Rely on strangers to lift me up when I am down. When I feel life can't, in any way get better. Also, to hopefully smile and applaude whatever successes I or anyone else may have! I had always been the "strong" person in relationships. Whether it was with friends, family, or Significant others. People turned to me to lean on. Now, a week into this 2 week liquid diet pre-surgery. Im finding myself needing others. People who have experienced the same feelings. The same anxieties. The same excitement! The total mix of emotions that play on ones mind is ridiculous. I hope to connect with people that have been through it. Are going through it. Or even considering going through it. I've humbled myself this far. To face the fact that my life wasn't going anywhere but 6 feet under. Ready for this change. Ready for a new life. Ready for support.

Welcome to the board. I posted once and the reply did not show. If it shows more than once concider it a double welcome.

I know the feeling of being taken out of your comfort zone. I hated telling my husband my weight now he is tired of hearing about the loss (maybe not sure). Most recently I posted my before and up to date pictures in the gallery. We have to get out of our comfort zone to make improvements. It was that comfort zone that got us into trouble to start with. It is all worth it in the end. When you can proclaim 25, 50, 70 pounds of loss it is a great feeling. You will find tons of information, support and knowledge on here. Make sure you ask questions when needed and feel free to vent from time to time. Most importantly is visit often and keep a positive attitude. The journey is like a rollercoaster but it is worth it when you start seeing your health and mobility improve.

Hi! My date is August 9th, so I'm getting more anxious now too. I've decided that is normal. Intelligent people feel some degree of anxiety when they approach unfamiliar situations or relinquish control to others on such a grand scale. There's nothing wrong with some anxiety---it keeps you alert and safe. Use this anxiety to be productive and assemble the supplies you will need, pack your overnight bag, and clean off your dresser or nightstand so you come home to a pleasant and clean room. Best of luck! ps: Pleaseb be ready to write all this back when I have MY panic attack in 2 weeks! :)

Hey, DMG! Please don't be afraid of this board. I've only been on a week and I've seen nothing but kindness and support in every post I've read. Haven't you found in other areas of your life that when you are most humbled, you experience great growth? I'm a nurse and I absolutely HATE the view from the "other side of the bed"!!! It amazed me too how very excellent I was at denying the severity of my condition. Oh well, we're doing the best we can, right? That's enough for today.

Hi DMG!!! I know exactly all the emotions your feeling!! I also see why you have to have a psych eval- because as your approaching the surgery date- you feel crazy!!!! I know I do!!!! I also know the feeling of being told you are morbidly obese- fat just sound better!!!!!! I haven't been on this site long myself- I hadn't got the support I had hoped to get- people post once in awhile but I guess those close to surgery are out in left field and the ones done with the surgery are trying to recover or move on- I have been a little disappointed- but that just seems to be me- I stopped talking about it on FB cause no one could relate- except one friend that had it. I have met several people here where I live that said oh my aunt just had that or the lady I worked with just had that and I have asked them to please have them give me a call with not one response- so that's sad too!! As with you- I was always the cheerleader even in my darkest hour yet no one wanted to hear my problems- Im a good listener- but people don't want to listen to me:( So I totally understand!! I get on her everyday with the hope someone has responded to my posts and I have only had a few. I am not having the same surgery as you so I cant comment on that- but I will be here for you!!!! :)

Last edited:
Hi DMG-

I just signed up for this forum today and I see that you are also a Michigan person! I know what you mean about the comfort zone. I was always the person who was/is comfortable with myself. Going to doctors hearing I was morbidly obese didn't even bother me; until one time when I was diagnosed with HBP. That day I was like WTH am I doing? That was just over a year ago. I started looking into the surgery more seriously than I ever did, my family wasn't very supportive, telling me that I was fine and nothing was wrong. Ha, they were not staring at the same scale I was or walking on the same tired, sore legs I was.

I think the worse part for me was admitting to myself that I actually had a problem with food. Then I had to admit that to everyone else--including the psychologist. That was pretty scary, telling a stranger your deep thoughts...I know what you felt.

who are you going through for surgery? how is your liquid diet going?

Tammi-Im sorry to hear things are going as you anticipated on here. I have only been on 2 days so I can't quite have a full honest opinion. So far, so good though! I will do my best to be a listening end for you if you need!!! I haven't announced my surgery to many people. A fear of judgment, maybe? Then there is also my EGO that stands in the way. How can I announce to everyone that I am weak. That I have to take the surgical way to get rid of these lbs that hang on me. That I completely failed in the diet and exercise lifestyle. Slowly though, one by one Im letting people know. As of now I have been very fortunate to have nothing but positive feedback. I will say, My mother was my biggest worry. Love her dearly but has always been on the judgmental side throughout my entire life. Nonetheless, it went well. She is very excited that I chose to get healthy. I know quite a few people that have had the RNY. Nothing but positive results! But, like i've learned in seminars/classes. Its just a tool. Not a cure.
I hope, for you, that support will find its way in all forms!!!!

Dehily- Welcome! You know exactly what I feel! I was fortunate though that I didn't have any health problems. No HBP, diabetes, cholesterol, etc....my PCP ran blood work and I was normal. UNTIL I went for pre-admin testing. The Dr from Hurley told me that I was pre-diabetic, my good cholesterol was BAD, AND I have Hypothyroidism. What a blow to the mind and heart! I thought I was just a healthy fat girl(with aches and pains of course)! Boy, I was wrong!!!
My liquid diet is going. It's tough as hell. I didn't like shakes to begin with. My hunger has gone down. But I still crave FOOD. I did try a piece of grilled chicken. That satisfied the food craving!Im not supposed to have anything but the shakes and 2 cups of raw veggies. But after reading posts and talking to people. They didn't have to do a diet as strict as mine. I saw a salad w/ grilled chicken. So I tried a piece of chicken. Fingers crossed it doesnt hurt me! My surgery is Monday and I CANNOT WAIT to eat oatmeal or ricotta/cottage cheese! Something with a little substance!
Where and when are you having yours? Have you begun your pre-op diet?

DMG- thank you for the response!!! IT was appreciated!!! I don't have any family to announce to except my husband- who tries to be supported- but he works nights and long hours and sleeps during most of the day- so I really have no one. Then my 3 kids know- the oldest a lawyer doesn't talk to me- don't get to see my grandkids, the middle son is in a bad relationship with a crazy gal and they have 2 young kids and he doesn't make much so he has his own crap to deal with and my youngest 28 lives at home again and hardly gives his dog attention- so there you go....... But as always- I am a survivor and will do this on my own like everything else in my life................... I will be ok.

I am having mine done at Barix Clinics in Ypsilanti on July 24th. My only pre-surgery diet requirements are a clear liquid diet the day before. I am taking it upon myself to do a full liquid for 9 days before.

This journey of ours will put most people out of their comfort zone and it's a good thing too. For me the comfort zone was eating, I could always eat and feel better, at least at the moment. I didn't worry about my weight, until I started having problems, but even then I continued to yo-yo diet. It wasn't until my grandson wanted to practice mountain climbing, by having me lay on the floor. That was it, I couldn't deny it any more. Since then, I've asked for help, something I hate to do, when I needed it. Most of the things we do outside the comfort zone are for the better, so approach them as opportunities to enjoyed rather than horrors to be feared.

Frank

:cool:

Back