• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Well...that changes everything

Devin

I had my gastrointestinal testing this morning, my surgeon just messaged me to let me know that because my esophagus is narrow, I'm not a good candidate for the sleeve and I should strongly consider bypass instead. So bypass it's going to be. I think it's the right thing to do because I'm on three blood pressure medications and I have polycystic kidney disease. I need to lose weight, but it seems like a way more invasive surgery. If you've had it, do you regret it?

I need to lose weight, but it seems like a way more invasive surgery. If you've had it, do you regret it?

I think "invasive" is one of those misused terms. A mosquito bite is invasive.

I had full-blown, open-procedure RYGB 14 years ago. I'd do it again every year if I needed it.

But I can't speak to laparoscopy, like I had with my tubal. The gas pains were excruciating. Give me a scalpel or give me... My street clothes, cause I'm outta here.

I think a surgical procedure performed by a real surgeon is true art. I'll never have laparoscopy again, but RYGB with an open procedure... YES!!!!

I had my gastrointestinal testing this morning, my surgeon just messaged me to let me know that because my esophagus is narrow, I'm not a good candidate for the sleeve and I should strongly consider bypass instead. So bypass it's going to be. I think it's the right thing to do because I'm on three blood pressure medications and I have polycystic kidney disease. I need to lose weight, but it seems like a way more invasive surgery. If you've had it, do you regret it?

Better to go with your doc's suggestion than to do the sleeve and then have problems with the esophagus. I understand your concern though. I had VSG so I can't speak for RNY but there are plenty of people here who have had it. Try not to let it worry you.

I think "invasive" is one of those misused terms. A mosquito bite is invasive.

I had full-blown, open-procedure RYGB 14 years ago. I'd do it again every year if I needed it.

But I can't speak to laparoscopy, like I had with my tubal. The gas pains were excruciating. Give me a scalpel or give me... My street clothes, cause I'm outta here.

I think a surgical procedure performed by a real surgeon is true art. I'll never have laparoscopy again, but RYGB with an open procedure... YES!!!!
I've never had an open procedure. I had an ovarian cyst removed with laparoscopy and it was the most painful surgery that I've ever had, but then I had a hysterectomy the same way and it wasn't painful at all. It was odd because the hysterectomy was supposed to be really kinda painful, but the cyst thing wasn't, but it was the exact opposite. I guess it depends on the surgeon? I can handle pain as long as I know that it's going to get better. Honestly, I didn't like some of the things I was reading about how horrible gerd can be for some people after the sleeve anyway, so maybe it isn't a bad thing. I'm sort of glad that he made the decision for me.

Hi -

I had bypass 1/2020. I’ve lost 111 pounds to date. I’m currently trying to gain some weight. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

I’m really enjoying living my life now. Im no longer sitting in the sidelines watching it pass me by. I actually enjoy walking in stores instead riding my scooter. I was able to walk in the beach hand in hand with the love of my life. This surgery has totally changed my life.

I’m really glad I got on this amazing life altering ride! It’s worth it!

Diane -

I weighed 220 when I had bypass. I’m actually trying to gain back to 120-130 now. I’m extremely skinny now. I wear a size 0-2 right now. I’m comfortable in my size 6 but I need to gain 10+ pounds to get back to a healthy weight. I weigh 109 on a good day! I lost 7 pounds since my dad passed away. I truly have no appetite and have to remember to eat. My girls try to feed me whatever I want - but with grieving over my dad and trying to get his estate in order I just have a hard time eating anything.

It will get better and I’ll get back to a comfortable weight again. I never would have thought that bypass surgery would make it difficult to gain weight!

I have scheduled my surgery date for 06/07/2022 and I am excited as I am so tired of sitting at home because I hate going out and walking takes all my energy and my confidence level has been shot to you know where. My doctor has suggested that I will benefit more from the bypass than the sleeve as I will reap the health benefits much sooner. Thoughts?

I have scheduled my surgery date for 06/07/2022 and I am excited as I am so tired of sitting at home because I hate going out and walking takes all my energy and my confidence level has been shot to you know where. My doctor has suggested that I will benefit more from the bypass than the sleeve as I will reap the health benefits much sooner. Thoughts?
Hi & welcome to the group. I was given the choice of bypass or sleeve. For me, the obvious choice was gastric bypass surgery. Although I don't suffer regularly from GERD, I didn't want to take any chances of it increasing after sleeve surgery, which is often the case, evidently. I too wanted the possibility of a higher weight loss, and the "forced" structure of the stomach pouch procedure, i.e. less food fitting in it than the sleeve, the risk of dumping as a form of behavior modification, etc. helped me with my decision. Good luck as you move ahead through the waiting process.

I think you'll be glad you have the bypass. I had VSG a little over a year ago, and now I have GERD and an ulcer. The VSG was not particularly effective for me, either. I've only lost 36.5 pounds.

I didn't want bypass anyway because I take NSAIDs for arthritis and migraines. Looks like I'll have to give them up, however, because of my newly diagnosed ulcer.

I'm not giving up on the weight loss, though. Only ten more pounds to go and I'll be at the top of the "healthy" section of the BMI chart. I am 5' 10".

I had VSG and often think I should have gone with the bypass for more weight loss. It isn't that my doctor recommended the bypass, I went in with the idea of VSG and he said I was a good candidate for it. I do wish that we had discussed it more and weighed the options a little closer but it is what it is.

Weigh your pros and cons and search the many posts here, it may help you decide. I sure wish I joined this group at the early stage you are in now, but I joined after the fact. Welcome to the group!

WOW! Diane, that is great. Hope you can gain some weight. I started at 232, presently, I am at 219 and 5"3 I would like a fighting weight of 130-140. I was never a peewee lol even in high school when all the girls were like 110 I was like 140 lol they were size 2's and I was like a 12-14 lol but it was shaped better lol. Good luck on your journey to gain some weight. Peace & Healing

I think you will be too because my doc said I should have the gastric bypass laparoscopically because I had silent acid reflux, I never knew it lol I am scheduled April 20th. I shall report back lol ASAP with results and happenings lol. Take care, read, read, and ask questions especially here because the Guru Sisters have answers lol Peace & Healing

Back