• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

what are some exercises i can do weight over 500 lbs

Do you have any exercise bands? If so, stretch them out to get your arms moving. Look up band exercises. There are ones you can do sitting down.
Maybe set your timer and stand up and walk around for several minutes, maybe even 1 minute, then work up from there. Just the act of standing burns calories. Maybe try to lift your legs one at a time while seated. This can strengthen them.
If you google exercises for morbidly obese you might find some suggestions.
Best wishes.

At 370 pounds, I tried chair yoga. I could only do the arm stuff; my legs were too big to do any of the lower body stuff. Don't be discouraged if you are the same. The upper body stuff helps. I couldn't comfortable sit on a folding chair.

I was thinking of finding tai chi online, but haven't done so yet. I figure I can just do what I can with it.
IF you could get to a pool, that would be great, especially if you could get it as physical therapy.

Another thing I do is lay on my side in bed and do leg lifts; started with 2 and worked up from there.

maybe try the lowest possible impact things, like standing and walking in place while making little circles with your hands, with your arms stretched out at your side. If sitting, hold a can of vegetables or soup in each hand and slowly curl them up to your body, then up toward the sky and back down and out. sitting in a chair, lift your legs and hold them, one at a time and both at a time. Do anything you can to bend forward and backward, then just get up and walk around the room, or the house. This is what you'll want to do post-operatively if you have carbon dioxide gas pumped into your abdominal cavity before surgery. The only way to get it out is through the skin, and the only way that happens is through movement. otherwise you'll have a lot of weird painful stabbing in places you don't expect it.

by far, walking is the best, but don't do anything that would hurt your knees, hips or feet. You'll take on more as you heal and lose weight, but you're not ready for situps or aerobics. In several weeks, maybe start swimming. It's no impact and burns calories like crazy. I think it's actually the most calorie-intense activity of all you can do. and it's great if you're overweight because you're buoyed up by the water, so you feel weightless.

Back