• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What are somethings that Can keep me Motivated

What are your long term goals? What kind of short term goals can you make to accomplish the long term? Your goals, realistic goals, are going to be your motivation. What are your goals other than getting out of bed? By the way, I think that’s a great starting point, and I think you can build on it.

I think one of the most important things to keep motivated is those small, short term goals that 3mom is talking about. When you have a lot to lose it can be hard to stay motivated when your goal seems so far off or not attainable. Also, for every 1lb you lose, you take 4lbs of pressure off of your knees. If you have joint issues, long term weight loss is a great motivator. Health benefits are enormous and can also keep you motivated. Find those things that motivate you and add them into your weekly or monthly goals.

Last edited:
Hi April,
I agree with the others about the short-term, concrete goals. A good practice for creating these goals is to make it reasonable, set a specific time period to achieve the goal, and have a plan for an appropriate (non-food related) reward to create positive feedback. I set weekly goals every Sunday. For example, one of my regular goals is to take my vitamins every day. Every day I take all my vitamins, I put a star sticker on a calendar I have just for my goals. (I know that seems a bit childish but it makes me smile and, hey, whatever works!) If I take them all 7 days, then I get to watch frivolous, just for fun, tv shows for 1 1/2 hours the next week. I limit myself to 3 goals a week and there is no punishment for not reaching my goal one week. I just move that goal to the next week and try again.
As for the big picture, I have written down my 6 big, long-term goals and a short reason why each one is important to me. These are the huge goals, like not needing medication for high blood pressure by the end of 6 months post-op. I have these goals, and the reasons, printed on the wall by my seat in the living room, as well as in my daily organizer. And in the front of my food journal. No matter what is happening I will see those goals at some point in my day and remind me

I hope any bit of this gives you something useful that will help you out in your on journey.

Back