• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What Can I Do to Prepare My Girlfriend?

magicink

Hello,

My girlfriend is now only a few weeks away from having gastric bypass surgery and, naturally, she's getting pretty nervous. It's a huge lifestyle adjustment and I want to help have as soft a landing as possible so this can be a success. What can I do to help her get mentally and physically ready? What should I be ready for once the surgery is complete?

On a related note, we've been trying out the Bariatric Advantage shakes and she hasn't really liked them. Is there an alternative? Is there a better way to prepare them?

Welcome magicink, I think she should ask the surgeon any questions she may have, and you can ask too. She needs to remember that this is a lifestyle tool, not a quick cure. She needs to start walking daily, and do things like sipping drinks (no gulping). Make sure she has chapstick for the hospital along with slippers, some baggy or loose fitting clothes.

As far as protein drinks go....try EAS AdvantEDGE, they are very smooth and taste pretty good, they sell them at Walmart, they sell them in the pharmacy area and are about $5 for a 4 pack. Also check out New Life Bariatrics, they have some pretty good protein drinks especially the cappuccino and chocolate flavors. Unjury also makes some good protein drinks. She should also make sure that she has any vitamin supplements that the surgeon recommends for her and should start taking them as the dr. says.

Not sure what else I can help with, I haven't had my surgery yet, but that comes on Monday. Please keep us posted.

Hi MagicInk, Welcome, Your a good man, wanting to help her out through this journey is a great thing. Some of us feel so alone no matter how much support we have just because it is us going through this, but anything you can do should help.

I guess having gone through this, had I had a spouse or girlfriend to be there for me I would have wanted 1) them to go to every appointment with me to ask questions I may not have thought of or questions I have forgotten 2) go with me to support groups (that is required for most of us and recommended for the rest) 3) be mindfull of what you eat and when and where you eat when we are on the liquid and reduced calorie meal plan that most of us have to do (it can be frustrating watching someone eat a burger and fries etc... while we cant:mad:) 4) be as patiant as you can with the mood swings, we are on an emotional rollercoaster 5) start eating the healtier meals that will be required of bariatric patiants, it will make meal planning easier and you healthier, we can eat regular foods but in smaller portions. I am sure there is more but you are off to a good start by just asking what you can do:D.

She should be nervous, we all were it is very scary and life changing event we are going through knowing we will have to change our lifestyles and way of thinking about food. As for the protien shakes those can be real challenge, NannaG mentioned a few I have only tried the EAS and I really liked those pre and post op, they have the pre made and powdered form, I also use ChocoRite that I get from Bariatric Choice (www.bariatricchoice.com) that is the only place I have found it so far. I did try the Bariatric Advantage yesterday and I wasn't impressed either:p I like to prepare my shakes in a blender with ice but get a shaker bottle when you guys are on the road. I hope I was able to help you out a little. :cool: Tom

Hi magicinc,
I don't know where your girlfriend's bariatric center is but I know mine always includes the statement "bring a family member with you or a friend". They always ask me if I am getting support and what kind and from whom. They ask me if my family has any questions. I would suggest you get as familiar with the routines that will be required. Since I have come to this site I am very surprised by the differences everyone encounters in pre op preparations, post op requirements, and food requirements. I have come to the conclusion that every center is different so get as familiar as you can with your girlfriend's center and staff. Attend support group meetings with your girlfriend whenever you can. Learn all you can about the dietary requirements like avoid fast food places, and learn to pick healthy places where you can get grilled, baked, or broiled foods. I use the unjury shakes and find them quite platable but will try EAS next as I hear they are very good. I have a lapband so my post op care was different from by-pass. My center gave me all sorts of information and telephone numbers to call if I encountered a problem and I find the support group meetings to be very helpful regardless of procedure. You are to be commended for trying to be so supportive. Joy

Majicink-I think Tom and Joy covered the most important things that will help make the transition more comfortable. Your girlfriend probably won't feel like doing too much outside of the house for a week or 2 so be prepared to do all of the running around. One of the unfortunate side effects of weight loss surgery is excessive gas so be prepared to expect this. GasEx (or a generic product) does help but not 100% as does lactase (or generic) for lactose intolerance since most of the protein drinks contain milk products as does some of the higher protein foods she will be needing like cheese. She may need a little help getting in and out of bed or a chair for a week or so because she will have some abdominal discomfort. If you have a recliner she may be more comfortable sleeping there for the first week. Also, gently remind her to drink enough fluids after surgery. 80% of patients who return to the ER after this surgery do so because of dehydration. Ounce for ounce the protein drinks and things like sugar free Jello and popsicles count towards daily fluid goals.

As for protein drinks, I agree the EAS CarbAdvantage are excellent. You can also get Premier shakes at Costco or Sam's Club, they are excellent tasting. Unjury are also excellent and are available on-line at Unjury.com. Unjury comes in powder form only and the Strawberry Sorbet is made especially to mix with water. I always throw in a few ice cubes with powdered shakes and make them into a slurry. Some brands of shakes I tried and found horrible (bitter) tasting are Muscle Milk Light and the low carb shakes from GNC, except for the strawberry which was pretty good. Just make sure you read the labels to make sure you are getting the LOW carb version since most brands come in high carb as well. They also sell protein shots that are usually less than 4 ounces but in my opinion they taste bad (like medicine) and do not have the best form of protein. The surgeon or nutritionist should be giving your girlfriend written material that contains pre and post op meal plans as well as recommended protein shakes, supplements, protein and fluid goals. If she hasn't received this information yet please call the office and inquire. It contains vital information and needs to be reviewed thoroughly before surgery.

Back