• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What can I expect right after surgery?

penelope

My surgery is Oct. 30th and I want to know what it was like those first few weeks. I live alone and have been told I'd be fine. I just read some intense pain stories. I do have a high tolerance for pain. I have had 3 c-sections and am wondering if I'm being naive about the pain. I do know that the more one gets around the quicker you bounce back.

I know we're all different but what can I expect?

pain
ease of mobility
is there much vomiting?

Penelope-You will be sent home with a liquid pain medication that works well. I also live alone and have a physical disability that requires the use of a walker inside and a wheelchair when I leave the house and I did just fine taking care of myself. You will have some abdominal discomfort, nothing earth shattering. I asked for a truss to use in the hospital and brought it home, I felt it helped immensely. Since it holds your abdomen snuggly it releives some of the pain that gravity causes from the downward pressure on your muscles. Some nausea is normal as is some vomiting. I only had nausea once or twice in the hospital from the smell of food that wafted through the halls at mealtimes. I had nausea with vomiting only 3 times since surgery (over 7 months ago) that was caused by eating just a bite or 2 too much food. If you stick with the recommended meal plan and stop eating when you feel full you won't have any problems. It just takes a couple of times of becomming nauseous to learn what full feels like with your tiny new pouch :) :) :)

Thanks Pat. A truss sounds like a good idea. I'll have to remember to ask. My nutritionist gave me the diet info and the portions are in tablespoons, so I have an idea of how little it will be. The vomiting does scare me a bit, actually more than the pain. Just having an idea of what to expect helps tremendously. Thanks again!

Penelope-When I first joined this forum my primary concern was with post-op pain. I swear people were probably so sick of me asking about pain that they wished I would stop asking *LOL* I was a royal pain in the a$$ for sure *LOL* If it weren't for one of the forum members reassurance I think I would have backed out over my pain concerns. Her screen name is feastorfamine and she is a retired nurse. A truly wonderful lady. She called me in the hospital and also when I got back home to make sure I was OK. We still talk almost every weekend :) :) :) Unfortunately she doesn't post much anymore which I feel is a great loss for other members. I didn't become concerned about nausea and vomiting until after orientation but it really isn't that bad. I did have a few episodes of nausea without vomiting when I was in the beginning of phase 3 and again in the beginning of phase 4 meal plans until I learned what I could and couldn't tolerate. I just carried around one of those rectangular 4 cup disposable plastic containers just in case. I kept one in the car and took one to bed with me because my disability would make it impossible to make it into the bathroom in time. But like I said it wasn't that bad, truly. With the nausea there is a lot of salivation but it only lasts a few moments and it's over. It's because the pouch isn't healed and the tissue gets irritated easily depending on what you eat. Once you get acclimated to "regular" food again it should stop completely as long as you avoid foods high in carbs, fat and sugars.

You'll do just fine based on the questions you are asking :) Knowledge is power!!!

First, let me wish you the best of luck! My surgery was back on Sept 11th, and I did have quite a bit of pain. I'm no wimp, but it surprised me! The worst (for me) was changing from laying down to sitting up to standing...so, in the hospital and at home, once I was out of bed, I was out of bed for the day! For the first time in my life, I slept sitting up! But, the pain medication helped...just remember to take it as prescribed...don't try and be a hero! Also, I didn't have any vomiting...none! I was more nervous of that than the pain, and all for nothing! My thoughts will be with you...again, good luck!

Hi Penelope,

I had my surgery last Wednesday, so it hasn't been a whole week yet. I had the RY bypass, which they said was the most painful, but to be honest it was nearly as painful as I imagined it would be. They will probably have a self medicating drip in your IV, so you can push a button to get a dose of medicine, if you need it. It won't allow you to OD, even if you wanted to. I do think getting up and moving around is the best medicine. The worst pain was the gas pain in the upper left shoulder, which they warned me about, was relieved when I got up and took a walk. My first night at home, last Friday, I was worried about being alone, so my daughter came to spend the night. I realized the next morning, I didn't need her there, that I was ok, so I spent the next two nights alone. My wife is a Nurse and works weekend nights. Anyway, I didn't find that I had any issues, other than sleeping. I have to gather all the pillows and sleep in a half sitting position. Works for me. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Congrats on your surgery Terry & fkrebs. I hope my recovery goes as smooth!

Thank you for your replies and stories. They are so helpful.

Terry when I had my children, I remember that getting up from lying down was hard. And laughing! That is all I remember of pain. I don't think I was on any pain meds at home. I'm hoping it won't be too bad. The vomiting worrys me more than the pain. I don't do well in that department. Just pray I do as well as everyone else!

Penelope-There are meds available for nausea if you need them. Just ask and you will get them. It will more than likely be a shot while you are in the hospital. You should ask your pre-op prep nurse to give you something for nausea before you go into surgery. I have to do this and it helps tremendously.

...With the nausea there is a lot of salivation but it only lasts a few moments and it's over. It's because the pouch isn't healed and the tissue gets irritated easily depending on what you eat. Once you get acclimated to "regular" food again it should stop completely as long as you avoid foods high in carbs, fat and sugars.

You'll do just fine based on the questions you are asking :) Knowledge is power!!!

I am still having the burning pain with drinking, though some fluids are better than others. Water is awful! I wondered if it was the incision line in the stomach causing problems and would resolve once it's healed. Is anyone else having this problem? How long before it went away?

Back