• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What did I do to myself?

Kperion

I'm 1 week post op VSG and I'm so very sick of liquid. I have so many meds to take crushed and they are NASTY!!
All my protein shakes are now awful.I cant wait to eat.ugghhh... It seems like everything I'm allowed to have is sweet and I want something salty that is not broth.

Last edited:
I had roux-en Y on Monday, and feel somewhat the same. But my dietician said I could have smashed up cottage cheese (thinned of course). I add garlic powder, lowrys seasoning salt and pepper. This is my salt fix.

Surgery was easy, two day hospital stay was extremely uncomfortable. Now that I'm home, things are slowly improving. Lots of gas, sore from stomach manipulation on the left side (feels like someone beat on my left side stomach with a baseball bat), bored from being stuck in my apt, but things are slowly getting better. How about you, Kperion? :)

I remember exactly how you both feel:( I had feelings of regret and sarrow, I was so sad at times but inbetween all that I slept and drank my protien shake and told myself why I was doing this and knew I had tried everything else, it'll get easier as time goes by. I also remember being so excited to eat and when I ate it tasted so good and after a few nibbles of this and that I was full:eek: It was so good and I had never been full of so little food, that's when I knew, yes I did do the right thing. Hang in there . :cool: Tom

I had to look at your post - wondering if it was MINE!!!! I am 10 weeks out from gastric bypass and sorry to say I am not feeling any better about any of it. Sick of meds, vits., protein shakes - Last week I had to have my gallbladder out. I seem to get more nauseated and more depressed every day. I literally can not take most of my stuff. I am going to my regular doctor today -

Wildrose-Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. There have been a lot of posts here regarsing how people feel after surgery, including myself. Energy levels are usually very low for the first 2 months and start to improve during the third month. My surgeon said this is normal. I remember having to drag myself in for my first follow up visit which I had cancelled earlier becasue I just couldn't get myself together enough to go. You should start feeling better soon but it's a good idea that you are planning a visit with your regular doctor, I did the same thing.

Were you given a prescription for an antacid like Prilosec to take with at least 2 of your meals each day? If not please check with you doctor since most WLS need this med after surgery. Another thing that can cause nausea is dehydration. 80% of WLS patients who return to the hospital via the emergency department are found to be dehydrated and need IV fluids in order to recover. It can be difficult getting in enough fluids but the trick is to sip, sip, sip all throughout the day :) :) :) Don't go anywhere without a beverage. Hope you feel better soon. Let us know what your doc says...

Hi Rich, are you able to have cream soups or pea soup, sugar free jello, yogur, pudding or popcicles, those were things I was alowed to have my first two weeks and they were a nice change from the protien shakes I was drinking for a week or two. I remember being so ready to eat and after mty first couple of bites I was full, it was great!!! I have never had that happen before or to feel completly satisfied after a meal. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

I did go to doctor and she thinks I have a UTI infection or something along those lines. Changed my antidepressant to a lower dose so i could swallow which I did. I have Nexium (capsule) but was given some kind of liquid because I did have an ulcer somewhere in there. Have not taken it yet - Liquid medicine and breaking capsules apart and putting in food are way way way GROSS to me. With being nauseaus these things are impossible for me to do. Chewables are just as bad. So many think this no big deal - is a big deal to me. My gag reflex is very "sensitive". Before the gallbladder I was getting where I could swallow pills but now I have gone backwards ( I guess). But I know all things change - so I will see what happens next. :)

Wildrose-Just take things a day at a time and do what you can do. I don't know about Nexium but the Prilosec I take has teeny tiny beads inside of the capsule. I empty the beads onto my tongue and take a couple of sips of water. They go right down the hatch without any problems. I can't let then sit on my tongue for more than a minute or they will start to taste bitter but so far no problems.

I sometimes have problems with my larger pills getting stuck in my throat even if I break them in half so I know what you are going through. If I had to crush my meds or mix them in food I wouldn't be able to tolerate them especially if they taste anywhere near as bad as they smell *LOL*

i hated my RNY but i wouldnt have Ever gotten the weight off i loved my food

I soo regreted getting my RNY about a week after.. and of course i didnt have a meal plan at all except to drink protine shakes and water.. so at 3 weeks i started eating cottage cheese refried beans and cream of wheat.. it was way to soon an i regret it .. i sooo wanted to get a reverswal but they dont do that ,.. so i have to accept it i went back to work a little more than 2 weeks after my surgery.. today about 9 weeks out i have a different outlook at this its all a new life.

Shawn-You mentioned you didn't have a meal plan at all. Are you saying the surgeon or nutritionist did not provide you with written information on what you should be eating? If this is the case please try calling the office and asking for a meal plan. They should have this and give it to you without any issues. The more successful that you become the better your surgical team looks so I can't imagine them leaving you hanging like they did.

well they gave me a list of things that can be eaten when but i can barely eat 2 bites of anything.. and i am lazy plus i live where i can not keep my own food with out anyone eating it :( but i will be moving soon and will be trying more stuff to eat..

Hi Shawn, I love your candor and honesty:D I get a little lazy when it comes to meals some times too. I was a bit worried, like Pat I thought they sent you home without direction:eek: I am glad that is not the case. You are doing really great on your weight loss. I wa shaving the same problem at work with people taking my cheese or lunch meat and I finaly went to wal-mart and bought this 50 doller fridge and my food has not been disapearing as frequently, but if you are moving soon that dhould help you out a little bit. I had no appatite to speak of for the first year so I always had to remind myself to eat before I started feeling weak, hang in there, I am glad you are feeling better about everything, I think most of us had fear and doubt the first month, I know I did. :cool: Tom

Ok so im getting more and more use to having this done to me but ..... im still not sure i should have done this to myself...
im trying to eat something at least once a day besides my protein shakes that i love..
but i use to love tuna and eggs before and nope they dont wanna stay down i dont know why...
but i am Really trying to eat once a day.. no matter what.. but it really is a hard thing for me to do ...well im gonna stay in the moment and just keep trying.. Have a wonderful day everyone im glad i found this place

Hello everyone sorry to hear some of u r not doin well physically but my problom is mentally I am wondering what the heck did I do? I am almost 2 weeks post-op and I am getting depressed badly. I don't feel like myself anymore. Idk how to explain it. I miss the little things like chugging down a bottleof ice cold water cuz I feel so thirsty all the time! Makes me cry

Hi Garcia, Welcome. I know exactly how you feel, you are not alone. My first few weeks and I would say from the time I was in my hospital room post surgery I thought to myself "OH NO What did I DO!". I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head, maybe this wasn't going to work forme, I was going to be the first person not to lose weight, and of course the depression that comes with these thoughts:( I just kept telling myself that I did this for me and my health and if any other way worked I would have done it. So don't worry you are not alone with the depression, eventually I started losing weight, by eventually I mean on my first check up and every check up there after it showed on the scale. Make sure and talk you your doctor about how you feel and go to bariatric support groups so you can meet some local folks who have gone through or are going through what you are. If the depression doesn't start to go away please see a councilor. We are all here to help each outher, so hang in there it does get better. :cool: Tom

Hello Shawn, I know exactly how you feel, I cried alot in the beginning because I didnot know what to eat I could not eat anything I just felt really lost, I had my food sheet from the hospital on what to eat at what stage, and I still felt lost, because I could not consume anything on that list but broth, even after my broth period was over and I was able to start solid foods all I could keep down was the broth and sugar free popscicles. I became very depressed and then I found other people who were going through the same thing I was going through and just getting advice from them made me feel alot better, I guess knowing I was not alone in this struggle got me through day to day. Stick with it I can only say I really does get better, I did have to get my opening to my stomach stretched open because I was having the most hard time with water and the other liquids and when they put a scope down there they said the opening to my stomach was really narrow so they used a balloon and stretched it open, and I began to feel better. I'm not sayining this to suggest anyting just wanted you to know where some of my problems came from,but that did not change what I could and could not eat my taste buds just changed after the surgery.

Back