• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

what do i do next

tiggerp

i have done all my lab work done and went to the siminar decided on getting the going for the bypass, i have lost almost 40 lbs can any one tell me what is next?

Last edited:
It really depends on your insurance. I had seminar, pre-op consultation, labs, 6 months of weight management with my PCP, a psych eval, cardiologist clearance, endoscopy. Then I will have another set of labs and a pre-op consultation that's on the 19th of this month and a 2 week full liquid diet starting 11/27.

Make sure you really have them spell everything out for you. Ask tons of questions even if you think they are stupid.

Yes she said she hard to look at my chart and would get back with me sometime next week . I'm just so excited to get it done and looking good.

Good...follow her instructions and CK is right, if you don't understand ANYTHING just ask. I know once you make the decision to have surgery it is SO HARD to wait! And yes, the insurance companies make you jump through some serious hoops. I just wish SOMEONE would make them understand that paying for the surgery will be more cost effective in the long run than to keep up with overweight/obese medical complications!
OK...I'm off the soapbox...thanks for listening!!! :)

Oh Gosh the hoops I had to jump through....

Seminar
Initial insurance verification
Initial consultation and blood work
6 months of weight management
PCP letter of medical necessity
nutrition class
psych evaluation
cardiologist clearance
endoscopy
echo-cardiogram
Insurance approval
Pre-Op consultation and blood work (doing on 11/19)
Hospital registration (doing 11/19)

If they don't like the way your weight management is set up or if you went for anything reason like say you had a cold, they wont count that month. All appointments have to be kept separate. I had an ear infection and scheduled that appointment on a totally separate day. Also I printed examples of the medical necessity letter to give to my PCP because again they will deny if they don't like the wording or if there isn't co-morbidity or if there wasn't sufficient effort.

Most of it depends on what medical clearance your surgeon may want.
My surgeon had me undergo Primary Care Physician Clearance, Pulmonary Clearance due to my asthma and Cardiac Clearance based on family history.
All I can say is stay in contact with your surgeons office or your patient advocate if your surgeons office has them.

I know it seems like a lot of prep, but this surgery makes serious alterations to your body and shouldn't be done lightly or on a whim. Imagine if you could get clearance in 2 days! There would be a lot (more) people with buyers remorse.

Hi!!! What kind of pulmonary clearance did you have to go through due to your asthma? I have asthma as well.

I had a visit with my pulmonologist. He ordered a full blown Pulmonary Function testing run to see how well my lungs are functioning.
They also checked to see how well my lungs responded to my bronchodilators and all of that fun stuff.
Nothing major or uncomfortable at all.
They also checked the before and after chances with my medications.

i'm just waiting on the psych eval going for the pre-op consultation onthe 4th of Feb and then the 2 weeks of liquid diet and hopefully by the 1st of march in will be down in little rock.

Back