• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What do you collect...

CoachJHill

To share a little more about me, I collect Vinyl Records. There isn't anything else as the pure sound of music, including all the hisses. My favorite group to collect is The Beach Boys and Pet Sounds is my all time favorite album. I have 27 of their 29 studio albums, one wasn't done on vinyl and the other one was only done in Korea. I also have a solid collection of all the guys solo albums. I have a Califone school record player and a Magnavox console stereo with record player and 8 track.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
To share a little more about me, I collect Vinyl Records. There isn't anything else as the pure sound of music, including all the hisses. My favorite group to collect is The Beach Boys and Pet Sounds is my all time favorite album. I have 27 of their 29 studio albums, one wasn't done on vinyl and the other one was only done in Korea. I also have a solid collection of all the guys solo albums. I have a Califone school record player and a Magnavox console stereo with record player and 8 track.
woo hoo!

Gear first: I spent many of my audiophile years using a Marantz 1040 amp, (no tuner), a pair of Fraizier bookshelf speakers and man, did i get sound out of those, and a Garrard turntable, whose model I just don't remember. I also attached a Rheems-Roberts 7" reel-to-reel sound on sound tape recorder and losing that, and all the tapes, was a death I can't talk about. Now I don't even have a stereo, just a broken boom box.

What did you think of Love and Mercy? I loved Paul Dano in Swiss Army Man.

Good ol' Bill here collects Beatles/Stones. I consider both of them to be great cover bands, but even though I was insane about the Beatles until John's Harry Nilsson days, I didn't like any of their solo careers, with individual songs excepted. I never thought George shoulda settled the My Sweet Lord kafuffle. He wasn't building that on the back of the Shirelles. The Beatles introduced us post-Fifities, pre-Hippie white kids to American Soul music and the Stones gave us back our Delta Blues, along with Clapton and Zeppelin.

Seems like the Stones just did one or two original songs per album, and all the others were fantastic covers or intros of Black music we all should have known about, but most of us didn't. There was definitely a barrier between Stones and Beatles fans, and the first time I heard Madison Time by Ray Bryant, knew I'd never watch Dick Clark again.

Sometimes I feel like I know British music better than American, with The Who being the supreme rulers of concert bands, not to mention Pete Townshend's groundbreaking lyrics and melodies. Traffic, Blind Faith, Manfred Mann, Yardbirds, Cream, oh my god THE KINKS, Zombies, Animals, King Crimson, gotta stop

I don't buy much music anymore, though I have a lot of CDs and vinyl records. If people looked at my collection, they'd see dylanDylanDYLAN! Joni Mitchell, Todd Rundgren, Gentle Giant Dinah Washington, Nina Simone, Steely Dan, Hendrix, Morphine, Janis, Nirvana, Dave Van Ronk, Pearl Jam, Beck, all the original R&B singers like Louis Jourdan (original Louie, Louie), Big Joe Turner, Calvin Berry, Big Mama Thornton (original Hound Dog) Memphis Minnie & other rare recorded female singers, Billie Holliday who did 'Lover Man' like no one else... hell, I have a huge Jazz and Blues collection. Most of my CDs are jazz, Coltrane, Bird Miles, Monk, Dizzy, Slim Gaillard, Ruth Brown. I used to have a lot of Classical, including all of Chopin's etudes, and a little opera, though i wanted more. Such weird stories!

in actual fact, i hate most music because it sucks. But the music i buy & keep and put on USB drives to play in my car, the Chicago Blues anthologies of both Harmonica and Guitar,

When I was coming up, there were a lot of wars. There was Vietnam, there was hippies versus straights, especially parents with their cocktails, lecturing us on the dangers of drugs, and there was the British Invasion versus American pop. It actually took a long time for me to appreciate the Beach Boys, but I, too, agree that Pet Sounds is a masterpiece.

Honestly, it blows my mind that so much great music was created using just 12 tones, without repetition or getting stale. I grew up with a Victrola, lots of Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters, and a 12-album anthology of music, from gospel to folk to rock to classical and by the time I was 11, had a musical repertoire like no other kid, not to mention most adults.

I am overflowing with music, yet, still want more. I wouldn't buy an album by these guys, but I heard one song on a tv show and looked them up ;
And no, I do not like Queen, not even a little.

I too have a lot of albums The Beatles,Stones,Beach Boys,Jimi Hendrix,Cream,Blind Faith,Jefferson Airplane,The Monkees,The Who,Animals, well any rock band you name it I probably have it. I don’t buy music that much anymore because I can download most of them .I collect Blu-Rays and DVDs now.Pet sounds was an inspiration for Paul Mcartney to do Sgt. Peppers . I have a lot of bootleg albums and cds too live and rare recordings of just about every rock or heavy metal band

I hated ELO unless it was a ballad or rock opera I didn’t like orchestras in rock. To me 2 or 3 guitars and a drummer is rock and roll. Didn’t like that George Harrison was influenced by ELO either and didn’t like The Traveling Wilburys

Well, for what it's worth, John Lennon called The Move "son of the Beatles."But I understand your point perfectly. I wasn't buying ELO albums in those days and it was only after discovering Jeff Lynne's early stuff that I could hear what was there.

And I was one of those people who, because she played stringed instruments including violin, loved the addition of orchestral elements to rock music... and didn't the Beatles do that first, on Sgt. Pepper's?

from Wikipedia, listing bands who relied on fiddles & such:

Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Velvet Underground. In the same era that Ian Anderson popularized the use of flute in rock, others added violin to their line up. These bands included Jefferson Airplane, Fairport Convention, Mahavishnu Orchestra and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

The didn't even mention Gentle Giant, who not only used orchestral instruments, but drew from Celtic folk songs to create their music. I don't know how many times I saw them and I think they only made 9 albums (if so, I have them all) but there's still a huge difference between pure rock & roll and rock bands who included fiddles, etc., like Fleetwood Mac.

I have no favorites. It's too hard to choose.

I too have a lot of albums The Beatles,Stones,Beach Boys,Jimi Hendrix,Cream,Blind Faith,Jefferson Airplane,The Monkees,The Who,Animals, well any rock band you name it I probably have it. I don’t buy music that much anymore because I can download most of them .I collect Blu-Rays and DVDs now.Pet sounds was an inspiration for Paul Mcartney to do Sgt. Peppers . I have a lot of bootleg albums and cds too live and rare recordings of just about every rock or heavy metal band
Got any Bootleg Beach Boys stuff?

Back