• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What is the mental health evaluation process ?

Alioop

Hi, just starting the process for gastric bypass and I see there is a mental health eval that is required for surgery approval. Will someone share their experience with the eval..i.e.....who performs it..how complex is it..etc. Tx

Hi Alioop, for me this evaluation was done by a psychologist for an hour. He asked me why I wanted the procedure, and my lifestyle at the time (diet habits, activity, social support), and what I had done in the past to lose weight and how much I lost on each attempt. I was also asked what I was doing to make changes that will support the surgery, like alternative ways I was managing stress eating so I wouldn't rely of food to cope with stress post surgery. Mostly what these evaluations are for is to see if you are ready for such a major change and if you would be successful with it through lifestyle changes and social support. I hope that this helps.

Hi, just starting the process for gastric bypass and I see there is a mental health eval that is required for surgery approval. Will someone share their experience with the eval..i.e.....who performs it..how complex is it..etc. Tx
Mine was just a causal talk about why I wanted the surgery and to see if I know what I was getting into. Just an eval to see if you ready for the surgery or need more time for research and get your head right and focused on everything... If your wishy washy they will want to see you again...

The psychological exam was very easy for me. The asked if it was something I wanted to do or was someone else talking me into the surgery. We talked for about 30 min. Then there was a little question test. Half way through the test it asked if I was pretending to be sicker then I am in order to qualify for the surgery. It also asked if I was pretending to be healthier than I am in order to qualify for the surgery. I guess that's for insurance. I was a cash pay patient since my insurance doesn't pay for weight loss surgery. The questions were very simple and seemed very easy.

Mine was just a causal talk about why I wanted the surgery and to see if I know what I was getting into. Just an eval to see if you ready for the surgery or need more time for research and get your head right and focused on everything... If your wishy washy they will want to see you again...

Thank you Keith for the info on mental health eval... How have you been feeling these past few days? What do you consider to be your biggest challenge so far?

When I had mine it was pretty basic questions, I forgot I was being tested lol, and just answered them honestly, it went really well, nothing to worry about

The mental health evaluation I had was just talking to the psychologist. She asked questions and I answered. Didn't feel like I was being evaluated. The hour went fast.

Thank you Keith for the info on mental health eval... How have you been feeling these past few days? What do you consider to be your biggest challenge so far?
I have been doing well, thank you. The biggest challenge for me so far has been the smell of food I loved that I can't eat right now.... Really have no hunger so if I do eat I measure it out so I don't over eat. that is uncomfortable.

Thanks, Keith. I had not considered the smell of food and how that might trigger mental hunger. There is a diner down the street from me and throughout the day amazing smells will filter into my windows.....

I am glad you brought this up as I will add it to the list of what I need to be mindful about.

Enjoy your weekend.

Back