• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What kind of pre-op tests and procedure must I do?

Hope that helps! If you have eating issues address them before you do this or you will gain it all back. My reasons for gastric bypass were all medical. Arthritis, panic attacks, high BP. I got off 10 medications and I am still off them.

C0ngrats Katherine on coming off of 10 medications!! That's definitely a huge inspiration!

Thank you all for the feedback. I have gone through a battery of tests and everything is okay. Medicare approved my paperwork, so now I have a Pre-Op appointment and that when I get a surgery date!

I had to see a dietician , Psychologist, Have an upper GI, Cardiac work up. The psychology was easy they just wanna make sure your not addicted to food and if so help you with it prior to the surgery.

I can't find anything about this. Can someone give me a brief explanation of what tests or procedure's do I need before surgery? Thanks,
Doug
IM LOOKING AT MY PAPER WORK NOW AS I TYPE THIS MESSAGE PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION (THEY WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE DOING THE SURGERY FOR HEALTH REASON NOT TO LOOK CUTE OR ANYTHING), NUTRITIONIST EVALUATIONS, 2 YEAR WEIGHT HISTORY, LABS INCLUDING H-PYLOR/HBA1C, AND PCP LETTER OF SUPPORT( YOU CAN GET THIS FROM YOUR PRIMARY DOCTOR), PULMONARY CLEARANCE(FOR THE LUNGS TO MAKE SURE YOUR LUNGS CAN GO THROUGH SURGERY THEY WANT TO KNOW YOUR BREATHING HABITS, CARDIOLOGY CLEARANCE(EKG/HEART SONOGRAM), XRAY UPPER GI SERIES, AND ULTRASOUND FOR THE ABDOMINAL. I AM ON THE EKG AND HEART SONOGRAM I GOT SURGERY IN JULY HAVE YOU CHOSEN WHICH SURGERY YOU WANT IM GETTING THE GASTRIC BYPASS. MOST LIKELY YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO THIS BECAUSE THEY NEED TO SEE IF YOUR STOMACH, HEART AND LUNGS CAN TAKE IT THEY WILL NOT DO SURGERY IF YOUR HEART IS WEAK

Medicare requires: 4 visits with dietician ( one is by phone); a psychological; meeting with physical therapist; at least one meeting with support group; usual presurgical blood work up. Have to be on liquid diet entire time. For me, about 6 weeks. It’s an insurance requirement.

Back