• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

what kind of sweetner to use?

I use sweet and low for Ice tea and coffee. Equal to mix with any food item. Equal doesn't give anything a bitter taste, I think.

Our nutritionist recommended that we not use sweetener at all. She said your body just doesn't recognize the difference and it just makes you crave sweet things more more. I don't use any and really don't miss it all. Every once in a while I will add a sweet and low to my tea. I know you can't get completely away from it and will have to use something once in a while. I think Splenda is the best but I try not to use that either.

Good luck.

Does anyone drink regular coffee after this surgery? Caffeine is ? bad for you? I see people drinking coffee who have had the surgery so wondering.

I had to wait two or three months before I could have coffee again, check with your surgeon when you see him, write it down so you don't forget. The reason we can't have coffee is the acidity of it is not good while we heal up so. I love my coffee but I had to slowly ween myself off of it so I wouldn't get the cafein headaches. It is well worth it. :cool: Tom

I use sweet and low always have ever since the 70's, I'm just use to the taste.

Hey Sandie my Dr. recommended detox from coffee 1 week before surgery and drink only decaf so that you won't have any withdrawal symptoms (headache) and after surgery decaf only for several months.

I started only decaf years ago and still drink it. They said I could have it when I got home. I just need something hot in the mornings and was glad I didn't have to give up my coffee. I can't tell the difference except my heart doesn't go pitter pat with the decaf.

Another thing about regular coffee with caffeine is that caffeine tends to act as a diuretic and could undermine your fluid intake.

I always think it is best to check with your nutritionist and/or physician.

I love Truvia (stevia). It is more expensive but i just use it in beverages. I was having a hard time getting in enough fluids because i can only drink so much plain water and I am not a coffee/tea drinker. I use it to make a pitcher of koolaid, which is what i find i can drink the most of. I have also used it in pumpkin pie filling and it was great.

I bought xylitol, I like it now (pre-surgery). I asked my nutritionist about it, she doesn't recommend it, she said something about it being "sugar alcohol based" and could still cause problems. She didn't really seem that knowledgeable about it. Anyone out there use it???

Things that end in tol are sugars and so if you are having Gastric Bypass, Sleeve, or DS then sugars can cause pain, sweating etc called dumping syndrome. So it is suggested to not use "tol" product if you are having surgery rearranging your intestines as opposed to the band surgery. Also, some fruit sugars like fructose, sucrose are also hard to digest for some. Follow the nutritionist's sugggestions at least early on and then you can try things little by little to see what is tolerated by you.

PJB ? about stevia and pumpkin pie mix, how much? did you make a pie or mix protein with pumpkin and stevia? always looking for ways to get the protein in, already tired of shakes and milk doesn't seem to want to agree with me now. maybe it's just me, I like the way stevia taste.
donna

I bought xylitol, I like it now (pre-surgery). I asked my nutritionist about it, she doesn't recommend it, she said something about it being "sugar alcohol based" and could still cause problems. She didn't really seem that knowledgeable about it. Anyone out there use it???
I bought Xylitol to use for cooking for my non-verbal autistic grandson. Until I tried it myself and doubled over in gut pain, so I threw the rest away. Bad tummy.

Thanks. Back to the drawing board I go. Any thoughts on Agave anyone, or is it the same for that too? I hate artificial sugars. Guess I'll just have to go without, sigh. Oh well.

I have used equal for many years. In coffee and tea. I drank regular coffee about a week after I got home. I had a little over a cup as opposed to the whole pot I would normally have.

Back