• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

what things did you take to hospital???

I had over-packed too. If you have a baggy dress to wear to the hospital, that is the most comfortable thing to dress in for coming home. Definitely don't forget the lip balm!!! I couldn't use my PJs or robe because of my IV. You'll definitely want slippers or comfy slip-on (no ties) sneakers for walking around the ward.

Wondering what I should take along to hospital?? Any suggestions.
you also might be interested in this you also might be interested in this resource, posted to our group by an old member, MamaBearof4.

As a guy I didnt bring anything except a pair of slip on shoes the hospital supplied toothpaste and a toothbrush that was it . The sooner you get up and walk a lot and can drink a certain amount of water you can leave as long as everything else is ok

I agree with Elidh and Brenda, I too overpacked. The most important things were slippers, phone and charger, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, something comfortable to wear when you go home. I took a nightgown & robe and a pair of shorts to walk the halls. I was only suppose to stay overnight. I ended up staying an extra night and was hooked up to an IV machine, so I ended up staying in the hospital gown because I couldn't take off their gown and put on my own. Also, your lips will get dry, esp the day of surgery because of no liquids, so bring a lip balm to moisten your lips..

I’ve bought myself a new pair of slippers for the occasion :D They’re easier to slip in and out of without bending over to get my heel in, plus hard bottom, so I can walk outside in them if need be. Also new comfy pants and shirt for when I get to change. I’m planning on packing my hygiene supplies, phone charger, ear buds, calming lotion (my anxiety can get very high and this stuff really helps ground me), and lip balm. My dietician said the hospital provides the abdominal binder, so I won’t need to get one of those.

As you can tell, it depends on what you need to be comfortable and how long your expected stay is. I was expected to be there from Monday until Thursday and packed like I was going to a hotel for 4 days. I literally had a carry on size suitcase. I'm feeling pretty high maintenance right now LOL And I used ALL my stuff. However, I am only going to add a few things. I took actual Pajamas. I hate nightgowns of any kind and you can easily fit IV wires through short sleeves with no problem. And Dry Shampoo.

This is really great info - thanks
My RNY surgery is two weeks from today - So I am in total prep / worry mode
I use the app relax melodies to help me sleep, but there are some meditations on there that help with breathing. I used it before my EKG just to calm my blood pressure down-it definitely helped. Not everything on the app is free, but it’s a nice resource.

I use the app relax melodies to help me sleep, but there are some meditations on there that help with breathing. I used it before my EKG just to calm my blood pressure down-it definitely helped. Not everything on the app is free, but it’s a nice resource.
I'll have to check that one out. I've used all the freebies on Calm and Happify but never heard of relax melodies so thanks for sharing!

Back