• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What to eat when you do not cook?

Hector

I am scheduled for January 25th, I am stressing out right now, as I do not have a support system, meaning no one to cook for me and I do not cook for myself :( does anyone know where I can buy already meals for the post-ops diet? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Hector

I am in the Los Angeles area.

Hi Hector, sorry you are struggling. I do my best to cook all the time including making curries from scratch and not buying store premade ones. I have had a grilled chicken chik fil a sandwich without digestion issues. I have eaten trader joe's premade frozen wontons tossed into chicken broth, i have had soups and chili, and i ate trader joe's vegan penang curry and was ok.

Hector, I don't understand what you said above. Why won't you "ever be able to eat normal" and what is eating normal? I think you've been misinformed, but with this level of concern, you should be talking to a nutritionist, not a support group. And if you're only pre-surgical, why are you worrying in advance? I'm confused.

I guess is my anxieties speak at loud, I am trying to be ahead too much I guess. sorry, I did not mean to confuse anyone.
Hector, didn't your program give you a sheet with some menus or suggestions of what you can eat? You should contact your bariatric team. I'm sorry you're feeling anxious, but I understand. If you used to eat anything you wanted in any amount you wanted, it's hard to change those habits. But really, any problem you have post-op, you should be able to ask your nutritionist or whatever member of your medical team. They're the experts who can provide you with information.

This is not necessarily the best advice, but you can also do an internet search for other post-op stories that include menus. Some people can't eat what they used to eat after the surgery. And of course, there are the eating phases you need to go through. I recommend you contact your team. They are there for you, and it was required for me after surgery. It's really important for you to have the best professional advice.

I totally sympathize with you and your anxiety. But you already did the hard part. A lot of members here have posted details about their post-op diets. Search for terms like yogurt, cottage cheese, creamy hot cereal, smoothies, and you'll probably find a lot of great suggestions.

But it's most important to contact your medical team. I'd do that first. You really don't need to know how to cook, as there are so many nutrient-ready items people have shared here and on the internet. It's also important to have measurement devices and a kitchen scale so you'll be sure to eat the right amounts.

I hope you can find the reassurance you're looking for.

Hector, didn't your program give you a sheet with some menus or suggestions of what you can eat? You should contact your bariatric team. I'm sorry you're feeling anxious, but I understand. If you used to eat anything you wanted in any amount you wanted, it's hard to change those habits. But really, any problem you have post-op, you should be able to ask your nutritionist or whatever member of your medical team. They're the experts who can provide you with information.

This is not necessarily the best advice, but you can also do an internet search for other post-op stories that include menus. Some people can't eat what they used to eat after the surgery. And of course, there are the eating phases you need to go through. I recommend you contact your team. They are there for you, and it was required for me after surgery. It's really important for you to have the best professional advice.

I totally sympathize with you and your anxiety. But you already did the hard part. A lot of members here have posted details about their post-op diets. Search for terms like yogurt, cottage cheese, creamy hot cereal, smoothies, and you'll probably find a lot of great suggestions.

But it's most important to contact your medical team. I'd do that first. You really don't need to know how to cook, as there are so many nutrient-ready items people have shared here and on the internet. It's also important to have measurement devices and a kitchen scale so you'll be sure to eat the right amounts.

I hope you can find the reassurance you're looking for.
Thank you Dianne

Back