• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What to expect after surgery

Kayla Weir

I have my surgery March 7 of this year, but super excited, but also super nervous!! What are some things very common that I should expect that doctors or nurses don't talk about? I've seen hair loss... but what else is out there?

Hair loss is common, side effect for most due to anesthesia. I took prenatal vitamins starting the day after surgery, I did lose hair around month 4, but it's already growing back and meh, never bothered me. Best advice on here (which didn't come from me) is don't compare yourself and your journey to others. I'm guilty of it. :eek: I knew better, did it anyway, caught myself, got back on track. :oops: Oh, and patience...sleeve patients are slow and steady, bypass fast and in waves, DS generally fast. But that is so general, you might be our speedy person that does amazing! :D A lot of sleeve patients feel hunger after surgery. I think if you regulate with shakes and water you can power through it if you experience it. A lot of it is 'head' hunger, and manageable! Most of all, just take things one day at a time and stay off the scale if you can, once a week is a nice slow pace but it is so tempting to make it more often and then frustration sets in. I hope you have support in your world but you definitely have it here! There are many successful sleeve patients here on this forum! We are all hoping you have a very successful journey! You are very close to the size I was when I started my journey so an extra "Woohoo!" from me!

Hair loss is common, side effect for most due to anesthesia. I took prenatal vitamins starting the day after surgery, I did lose hair around month 4, but it's already growing back and meh, never bothered me. Best advice on here (which didn't come from me) is don't compare yourself and your journey to others. I'm guilty of it. :eek: I knew better, did it anyway, caught myself, got back on track. :oops: Oh, and patience...sleeve patients are slow and steady, bypass fast and in waves, DS generally fast. But that is so general, you might be our speedy person that does amazing! :D A lot of sleeve patients feel hunger after surgery. I think if you regulate with shakes and water you can power through it if you experience it. A lot of it is 'head' hunger, and manageable! Most of all, just take things one day at a time and stay off the scale if you can, once a week is a nice slow pace but it is so tempting to make it more often and then frustration sets in. I hope you have support in your world but you definitely have it here! There are many successful sleeve patients here on this forum! We are all hoping you have a very successful journey! You are very close to the size I was when I started my journey so an extra "Woohoo!" from me!
Well said : )

Back