• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What to expect

I would assume that the doctor will keep you overnight so that they can do a barium test to be sure there are no leaks the next day before releasing you. Honestly, the worst part is the gas pain from the laparoscopic procedure, and the only thing that gets that gone faster is walking, walking and more walking. They will have you on clear liquids for a few days - and will want you to sip water pretty much constantly. You won't be able to chug a glass for a while, so you will need to just constantly sip to be sure you are not dehydrated. You may find that your stomach likes a particular temp of water right after - for me, I could not do ice cold for a long while. I preferred room temp or even warm (a splash of lemon and honey help the warm water). You probably won't feel like eating for a while after surgery. I really did not have much appetite for a couple months.

Wow, this is the first post I've ever seen that actually reflects my experience.

14 years ago RYGB was major surgery requiring an open procedure and 2 or 3 days in the hospital.

What i remember was the usual grogginess and desperately wanting a drink of water. I had daily meds and I had one unpleasant nurse who crushed my pills into grape jello and basically shoved it into my mouth.

I don't know why, but they fed me. I wasn't allowed to feed myself. Then they did the usual stuff, getting me up to walk the halls and helping me get stronger every day.

Then I went home and stayed mostly in bed. I had a 7" vertical incision, so I had pain and it took a long time to heal.

There's one important thing I tell everyone. For at least a week before surgery, used a fiber laxative daily and drink a ton of water. I didn't and had an epic bout with constipation. Do whatever you can to make it easy to pass food through your digestive system.

I didn't have a "before" diet. I was advised to eat specific foods after, and mostly cereal, mashed potatoes and soup. These were made using Magic Milk, not water. Search the group for posts about that. Gradually proteins were introduced in puree form. I actually put cooked turkey in a blender with a tablespoon of Magic Milk, gravy mix and cranberry sauce. Delicious!

I enjoyed the post-op diet, and slowly added soft foods and lots of water. I lost 60 pounds in the first two months.

Wow, this is the first post I've ever seen that actually reflects my experience.

14 years ago RYGB was major surgery requiring an open procedure and 2 or 3 days in the hospital.

What i remember was the usual grogginess and desperately wanting a drink of water. I had daily meds and I had one unpleasant nurse who crushed my pills into grape jello and basically shoved it into my mouth.

I don't know why, but they fed me. I wasn't allowed to feed myself. Then they did the usual stuff, getting me up to walk the halls and helping me get stronger every day.

Then I went home and stayed mostly in bed. I had a 7" vertical incision, so I had pain and it took a long time to heal.

There's one important thing I tell everyone. For at least a week before surgery, used a fiber laxative daily and drink a ton of water. I didn't and had an epic bout with constipation. Do whatever you can to make it easy to pass food through your digestive system.

I didn't have a "before" diet. I was advised to eat specific foods after, and mostly cereal, mashed potatoes and soup. These were made using Magic Milk, not water. Search the group for posts about that. Gradually proteins were introduced in puree form. I actually put cooked turkey in a blender with a tablespoon of Magic Milk, gravy mix and cranberry sauce. Delicious!

I enjoyed the post-op diet, and slowly added soft foods and lots of water. I lost 60 pounds in the first two months.

Oh wow, well I'm not regular as far as going #2 tmi sorry, for ts maybe every 3 to 4 days I know terrible lol

My surgeon actually runs a dye through, while you're in surgery and so does not require a barium swallow at all. You might want to ask to make sure whether you will be getting one or not. Why worry about something that might not happen? I did not have very much pain at all but El is 100% right. Walk walk walk. Sip sip sip. I had a pretty good experience, but my husband had WLS more recently and had run into issues with nausea and lingering pain. They gave him meds for both, which helped tremendously.

Waking up from anesthesia is always awful for me. I never know where I am or what is going on and wake up in a panic, determined to get up and get OUT. It usually subsides in a minute or so, it just takes me a second to mentally get ahold of what's going on. If you have had anesthesia previously, it will probably be the same for you this time as it was the last time.

The day of surgery, I was very nervous and considered just going home. I cannot express how happy I am that I powered through that! The surgery takes about 2 hours, give or take. I was in recovery for a few hours and sent to my room to sleep it off. I slept most of the first day, but they had me up walking by evening. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Back