• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

what to pack

tiggerp

What clothes do I need to pack I've got my night gowns, house coat and slippers, crafts (crocheting) personal stuff what else do I need to pack. What else do I need to bring?

I brought a book to read but between having to go back for a second surgery the first day and being so nauseous I wasn't up for anything besides keeping the room still. I had to stay for four nights because of the initial complication just so my surgeon could make sure I healed right, but you really will be busy getting your fluids in and walking that you won't have time for much else. The two things I really am glad I brought were lotion and chapstick. Also I brought my own pillow theirs weren't great and I had to have something to hold onto on my 2hour drive home.

Make sure you have panties or pajama bottoms on.. You will have your surgical incisions looked at a lot. Some surgeons are very respectful and appreciate modesty on the patients end..

Take your favorite lotion and facial moisturizer, deodorant, wet wipes, laptop or I-pad. They will have you up and walking so have some things to keep you busy during your down / resting time.

Slippers, a soft fluffy lap blanket, light robe and other personal comfort items. You may even want to take some stationary and write letters or catch up on correspondence with friends and family.

thanks i planed on taking my tablet never thought about the pillow or the lap rug. i have audio books on it and some playaways to, that i can slip in my house coat pocket. thanks again

What clothes do I need to pack I've got my night gowns, house coat and slippers, crafts (crocheting) personal stuff what else do I need to pack. What else do I need to bring?

I brought a toothbrush. Not much else. Yes, underwear. Yes an I-pad if you want. Don't pack too much. The hospital provided those anti-skid slippers, gowns and blankets. A pillow if you like. Howeve, I got as many pillows as I wanted. If everything goes right you go in for surgery on day 1, they check that there are no leaks on day 2 and you go home on day 3.

If there are issues than your stay would be extended another day or two. Generally, it is smooth sailing for most people.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Personally I agree with Ralph and Fantastic...I brought a lot of stuff, but only used the lotion, lip balm, hair brush and toothbrush and paste. I didn't want to bring bedding especially my pillow, because I forgot my pillow once before when I was in the hospital and was really bummed when I now didn't have it when I got home. So not taking that chance again. All I ended up doing was hauling around all that stuff to and from the hospital.

The Insurance Company allocates or expects us to be in the hospital for 24 hours, the hospital is suppose to submit an order if we stay longer. I only know this because my insurance company sent me a bill for over $24K for the additional forty eight hours that I spent in the hospital (had trouble keeping the fluids down) so of course I called and was told to call the hospital to have them submit the proper requests. My hospital said this was all normal and they'd take care of it, my insurance (PCIP, the precursor to Obamacare,which I love) had sent the Explanation of Benefits, EOB, to me before it reached them to take care of the resulting two extra days of hospital time, translation, someone at the hospital dropped the ball. The point is many people are like StinkerBelle, who came in, had the surgery one day then had the X-ray to check for leaks and discharged the next day. My Bariatric Team said 1-3 day stay in the hospital with many going home the next day. So you just don't have much time to do anything but sip,sip,sip then walk,walk,walk, get probed, checked, and poked and if you have anymore time left you can sleep. I actually asked people to stay home just so I could sleep. Btw, I just turned 62 last weekend, so age does need to be considered too. I hope this help.

One thing I forgot... Hand warmers. They are awesome if you get chilled.

You can pick them up at Wal-Mart, Target, Bass Pro, etc for about a 1.00 for a 2 pack..

LOL I have one right now for my neck..

I've noticed that almost, if not all, of the replys here said to "walk, walk, walk". What happens if you can't walk. I am in a wheelchair. I can use a walker to transfer but as for walking, I can only go a few feet and have to have someone behind me with my wheelchair for when I can't take another step. Could this stop the docs from doing the surgery on me? I haven't even gone to the seminar yet.
thanks,
jduffy
PS. thanks for all the good advice on what to take and what to leave home.

Discuss with your Doctor

I've noticed that almost, if not all, of the replys here said to "walk, walk, walk". What happens if you can't walk. I am in a wheelchair. I can use a walker to transfer but as for walking, I can only go a few feet and have to have someone behind me with my wheelchair for when I can't take another step. Could this stop the docs from doing the surgery on me? I haven't even gone to the seminar yet.
thanks,
jduffy
PS. thanks for all the good advice on what to take and what to leave home.

Based on your needs/restrictions you should talk to your Doctor at length. Walking helps get all the gas out that they pumped into your body during the surgery.

So, you need to find out how you can do it given your restrictions.

Ralph

my surgeon, according to a friend who has already had her surgery, gives each patient a stuffed moose...we are in Alaska, thus the moose...as a tummy hugger. you might want to take a squishy pillow to gently press into you tummy when you turn in bed or walk for the first few days.

Something I didn't do but wish I had
Pack an empty spiral notebook that has 365+ pages. Start at the last page and write something positive and your goals add to it each day working toward the front. When you have a bad day read it to remind yourself of how far you have come. I started one last month and it is great. Also not for packing but for being prepared: purchase something to help remove the stickiness left behind from bandages. That glue stuff made me raw and was worse than the surgery itself. I think I used baby oil on some and alcohol on the other bandage marks.

Good luck

I had my surgery in January. I packed a bag and brought my Kindle. I ended up not using much because you are kind of out of it for most of the first day. The second day is better but you still may not feel like doing much because of the pain meds. All in all the things I used were my toothbrush and some really comfy sweatpants that are not tight at the waist at all. The incisions sit right about where your pants will be on your waist so just make sure they are not tight. I read a little and watched TV but really they provide everything you need. A deck of cards is good to bring in case you have visitors and you want to keep occupied. They will want you to walk so if you like slippers bring them but I just used the socks they gave me. Robes won't be good because they are always fastening and un fastening the gown to look at incisions, and take off monitors, etc. Good luck!

Wishing i could run to the store and buy you a kitty pattern. But, alas, i am basically bed bound. I love to sew and plan on remaking several pieces of clothing as i am able to be up and about more. My body is so ridden with fibromyalgia and other painful problems, i'm hoping to decrease with weight loss.

Blessings

karen in alaska

Back