• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What type of protein shake do you use? What is your favorite?

Welchen

Hi All,

Okay, so when I first got out of surg. and was compliant I found that I only liked Champion Whey Stack Chocolate. Unfortunately, that company was bought out and they changed the recipe. Although I have a bottle I've yet to open I also think I need to start looking for a new protein powder. It's literally been 7 years since I actually did my first protein search so I'm sure there's got to be some new ones. I remember trying Urgury and the Nectars. So what do you like? Any good recipes? I heard there was a good one where you take chocolate whey stack and then mix it with a cinniman flavored poweder. I never did get into the syrups and stuff. I had a magic bullet but only use the cups as shaker cups.

I know vitalady is pretty good about selling single samples - is there anyone else new to the game?

I intend to go cold turkey on monday and start the 5 day test. I'm not too worried about my pouch being stretched because I still feel tight depending on what I eat and definately how much of it I eat.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Deb

Deb-I have 3 recommendations for protein powders, Unjury, Unjury and Unjury, it is medical grade protein. You will be hard pressed to find anything better. The chocolate, vanilla and strawberry all taste good. You get what you pay for. For pre-made shakes I like EAS CarbAdvantage (WalMart) and Premier (Costco and Sam's CLub).

Last edited:
Hi Deb and Pat,

I agree with Pat on the Unjury. I like the vanilla flavored Unjury in Orange Sunrise flavor crystal light, and the unflavored in Fruit Punch flavored crystal light. I mix the crystal light according to directions (usually 16 ounces of water) and add one scoop of protein powder. Sometimes I like something more tart and will use pink lemonade with unflavored powder. Made with crystal light they are under 100 calories and when I use chocolate with skim milk it increases both the protein and the calories.(I don't have lactose problems) I also like the EAS carb advantage (I tried them on Pat's recommendation) and they are very good too. Chocolate is my favorite. Now I will try the Premier from Sam's Club. Unjury will sell you a trial package so you taste them all to see if you like them or not. Oh, another shake I find to be refreshing is to mix the strawberry sorbet with lemonade crystal light. Very nice on a hot summer day. Good luck!

I'm happy to hear information on Unjury. Although I haven't had the surgery yet, I've been reading every piece of information I can find on the internet. That's how I discovered this website. I ran across Unjury, because I liked it's description. I even printed the information to take to the nutritionist when I see her. It's encouraging to hear from other people who say Unjury is a good protein source. The rest of the information I've read in regard to this string have also been helpful. Thank all of you so much.

I use unjury as well. I can only do the unflavored due to my limitations, but it dissolves well in everything. I add to my yogart and also soup. With soup it can't be real hot less then 140 degress. I had ordered a nectar, but was unable to use it. I gave it to a friend who said it tasted great. Good luck in finding what works for you.

I am starting my 4th week and used Unjury protein powder, The Vanilla, unflavored & Chocolate, all are good...They are great, I also purchased their multivitamins and calcium tablets. I have now found the Pure Protein, pre made drinks and powder, and those are very good as well. I find they are just more economical, and a little more protein than the others.

Thanks all for responding. I have a feeling I'll be ordering a bunch of samples. Hint- for those of you who haven't had the surg. be careful about buying protein ahead of time. Your tastes may change or you ability to digest it may change. I hate when I buy a big container of something and it's yucky. When I first had the surg. I had a really hard time finding a protein that I liked/ could swallow. For days I couldn't find anything and when I finally found one I could stand it was a godsend. Time to try again and see what's out there.....

I'm not sure about those of you who mix milk in with it or yogurt. I was told that was a big no no because of the sugar involved. During you honeymoon period, right after surg as you heal, you learn the tool. You also learn how to work around the rules. Just be careful because bad habits are as hard to break as good habits are to form. If you're not getting anything of nutritious value from something I wouldn't waste the carbs. Try and maximize your initial weight loss and your tool....the best it's ever going to work for you it right after the surg and during the first two years. Your body is a wonderous thing and it will copensate and adjust.

Deb

I love this site.I just joined lastnight and don't know what to do first.My name is Linda but when signing in the username kept rejecting it so I used my middle name Marie.I had my RNY Aug.6th.I have so many questions.Where do I start?

I'm new, too and haven't had the surgery, yet. I've had my blood work and the psychological and neutritional appointments have been made. I'm like you; I have so many questions and keep thinking of more. I just joined the forum a couple of days ago and love it.

Hi Linda/Marie and Barbara,

Don't know if it would be of interest but I posted a thread call Advice for Pre-op Newbies, It was in this group but the webmaster moved it to pre-surg. group - take a look there. My best advice it create a binder for yourself and keep copies of important stuff. If you didn't get all the blood labs done for the surg. get them asap - that was you'll have as close a base line to what you'd normally be to compare to in the future. If you doc didn't tell you you need to get yearly lab test done - usually about 12-14 vials of blood. (no, I"m not kidding).

Ask away as far as questions go - don't be embarrassed either because there's always a lurker with the same question and/or someone who's gone through the same thing and can help. :)

Deb

Thanks for the information. I'm going to get a copy of my lab work and read your article. I can use all the information I can get.

I was all set to go to my bariatric support group tonight only to realize it was last week.Darn.I find the local support groups are really helpful and hearing and seeing people that have kept their weight of for years and not one have regretted having this surgery.Super great.

I use About Time Whey Protein. It has about 25 g of protein and no sugar. I do 2 scoops of protein, 1 scoop of dry milk, 8 ozs of skim milk, and two ice cubes which equals about 66 grams of protein. I usually start mine first thing in the morning, so no matter what happens the rest of the day i at least have my protein in.

Hi Barbara, I use protien powders off and on all the time, but make sure you are using the right ones, your nutritionist or surgeons office will give you a list of approved protien drinks you can have but keep in mind not all bariatric centers subscribe to protien powders, some stick to pureed foods for protien just becaus they feel that since their patients will need to eat food to live they have them get there nutrition from normal healthy foods that are pureed. Don't stock up to much on protien mix though because your taste buds may change and what you liked pre op you may not like post op. :cool: Tom

I had no idea that some doctors don't "prescibe" using the protein drinks. That's one thing I'd do even if the doctor said "no". I don't see any way that you could get enough protein during the first 3 months without it. I don't want to ruin my health.

Back