• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What was the 'final straw'?

My gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for feb 7th in 3 days i am excited and nervous, the last straw for me was when i sat at a lunch table at the school i work and the seat broke. i have always been against this surgery more for the fear of having it, but i want to live an active life i am 47 and my preop weight is 276 i started at 320 so i am looking forward to tuesday and talking with people that understand.. my family does not:(

My gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for feb 7th in 3 days i am excited and nervous, the last straw for me was when i sat at a lunch table at the school i work and the seat broke. i have always been against this surgery more for the fear of having it, but i want to live an active life i am 47 and my preop weight is 276 i started at 320 so i am looking forward to tuesday and talking with people that understand.. my family does not:(

Welcome Hmboucher. You are on an exciting new jouney, I too was above 300 lbs pre op and was always afraid of sitting in those flimsey plastic chairs because I had the legs buckle out from under them and it was quite embarasing. It is too bad you don't have any support from your family, I hope you have another support person you can count on, it is a tough go without one, I didn't have a support person but my kids were there for me when I went in for surgery so that helped me a lot. I will admit it was scary to think about but the alternative was even more scary. I had tried everything endless diets and when I would lose weight it would just come back but twice as much, I had high blood pressure, high colesterol, and was tired all the time. Just remember you are doing this for a healthier you and this descision did not come lightly, hopefully your family will come around. Good luck and let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

thanks tom, tommorrow is the day!! i have my kids and two good friends for support, unfortunately my husband does not support me 100% he is scared i will leave him. My dad called last night and actually started asking questions about the surgery. so glad you had your childrens support and your right this decision was hard i have always been too scared to do it, i am not even nervous about tommorrow because i am at peace with my decision!!

Dear hmboucher64 I was thinkinf of you all day when I was writing the date down. I hope all went well and you are recovering fine. I can't wait for you to be back on the site and post your journey. We are in the same boat for support. Husbands aren't sure but the other circle around us is. I hope you will lean on this site as I have started to finding the support we need!

Well wishes!
J

I think I always wanted it, but I guess my final straw began 4 years ago when I had my son. I can't keep up with him. I want to do stuff with him. I want to wear the cute clothes and not feel like everyone is staring- for a bad reason. i want to feel and look like the 27 year old that I am.

My dad. He was diagnosed with diabetes in his early 40s. He ended up losing both legs, having issues with kidneys, liver, heart. Died at age 60 of massive heart attack as a result of diabetes. Before surgery, I was borderline diabetic, my quality of life pretty much sucked. I would get winded trying walk a block. My knees hurt like an "old person" and I was only 36! How sad is that? Now I do 2 miles a day on the elliptical machine, my knees no longer hurt and I don't have to take diabetes meds! I have lost about 70 lbs from my original weight (43 since surgery). Even though I'm on a plateau right now I am soooo happy that I made this decision. It sucks that I can't eat what I used to (emotional eater), but I'm ok with that. I am going to live a longer, healthier life because of it!!

My dad. He was diagnosed with diabetes in his early 40s. He ended up losing both legs, having issues with kidneys, liver, heart. Died at age 60 of massive heart attack as a result of diabetes. Before surgery, I was borderline diabetic, my quality of life pretty much sucked. I would get winded trying walk a block. My knees hurt like an "old person" and I was only 36! How sad is that? Now I do 2 miles a day on the elliptical machine, my knees no longer hurt and I don't have to take diabetes meds! I have lost about 70 lbs from my original weight (43 since surgery). Even though I'm on a plateau right now I am soooo happy that I made this decision. It sucks that I can't eat what I used to (emotional eater), but I'm ok with that. I am going to live a longer, healthier life because of it!!

Dakotarose Welcome. There are many great folks here to offer support. You are doing great keep up the good work. My issues were high blood pressure and colesterol so far my blood surgars were good but either way I was on the road to a stroke or heart attack if I didn't do anything, and what I was trying wasn't working. We all thought long and hard before we made the descision for WLS and it certainly wasn't easy but it was nessasary. It's OK not to be able to eat the same foods as before, some of those foods are what got us here and not being able to matabalize them didn't help either. Hang in there and keep up the work outs. :cool: Tom

Dakotarose-Sorry about your dad. I know it’s tough to see someone suffer from this disease. My husband had type 2 diabetes and died of complications at 54. He was around 40 when he was diagnosed while in the hospital for what was at first thought to be a heart attack but ended up being a pulmonary embolism. Within 10 years he was 80% blind in one eye and losing sight in the other. He also lost a toe, then another one then part of his foot to osteomyelitis (bone infection). He started having symptoms of pre-kidney failure and would have ended up on dialysis had he lived a bit longer. It was one thing after another until he died from congestive heart failure.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 years ago and knew what might happen to me if I didn’t keep things in check. I manage to keep my blood sugar level under good control but have not been able to keep weight off once I manage to lose it. My RNY is scheduled in less than a week on 2/27. I can’t wait to be rid of the diabetes once and for all. Losing weight will be the icing on the cake!

Dear hmboucher64 I was thinkinf of you all day when I was writing the date down. I hope all went well and you are recovering fine. I can't wait for you to be back on the site and post your journey. We are in the same boat for support. Husbands aren't sure but the other circle around us is. I hope you will lean on this site as I have started to finding the support we need!

Well wishes!
J

did't see this post until today, thanks for your thoughts I am now 3 weeks out and am doing great! My husband has gotten much better and appreciates the start of my new body and compliments how i look!

Jess1415
hi how are you doing since your surgery? Have things gotten any easier for you? I understand what it's like to not be able to do the things you want to do.
I am 55 and tired of being sick and on med. and not able to enjoy so many things, I am anxiously awaiting my turn at w/l surgery.
Hope things are going well for you as you continue with these journey to a healthier you. That is what my goal is a healthier me who can do more things with family and friends, and not hurt so much or get tired so easily too.
Donna

dalistone
hi
I see you're from MO. me from Illinois I am curious did you happen to have your surgery at Barnes Hospital? That is where I am having mine at and I haven't met anyone whose had surgery at Barnes.
how are you doing since your surgery ?
Donna

Cary
hi just curious are things going better for you now that you've had your surgery? Do you feel better yet? how often do you have to go to doctor by having the silicone ring surgery? I had thought of that one but I was afraid if I had it , that it might slip and I would gain the weight back.
Does it make you feel full in any sooner than before you had the surgery?
I signed up to have gastric bypass (RY) I think that is the right name.
Do you have any regrets from having the surgery? HOpefully not and hope you are doing well.
Donna

FINAL STRAW...... dealing with an open wound for 15 months due to complications of last surgery, tired of being a diabetic and overweight and miserable.
Looking forward to this new journey of becomming a healthier me and much lighter too.
DOnna

Kim
great weight loss I bet you can enjoy the grandchildren now. Are you able to enjoy food again?
Newbie here so I have alot to learn.
Donna

Friday
hi you and I have something in common, I too had hysterectomy surgery and hernia surgery done the same day back in 98 and I had another hernia surgery 12-2010 and I am still trying to heal from it, they left me open to heal and it's been a long 15 months. The wound clinic is the one whom recommened w/l surgery to me, They said I have no muscle left and the whole stomach is nothing but hernia's I have to wear binders daily and they hang so low and cause so much pressure on my back. I am so anxious to have the hernia repair and weight loss surgery all done the same day. This is there recommendation. This will be my 3rd hernia surgery and hopefully my last. They told me they'd put some type of prostetic plastic in there to hold back the hernia's plus the other surgeon would do the weight loss surgery. I haven't received my day of surgery yet but I know I will be sore but one happy lady knowing that a healthier me is on it's way. When youhave time would you mine sharing your experience since the hernia's and weight loss surgery. You are the first one I have met on here whose gone through similar stuff as I.THanks
Donna

Mexico girl
happy for you to have found the love of your life and also being able to do something for yourself. How are you doing since your surgery date? do you still have trouble digesting foods? I 'm a" newbie" whose awaiting my surgery date so I keep asking ? of others and learning as I embark on this new journey to a healthier me.
Donna

Ok, the last straw for me, I had been to the doctor and was very embarrassed by my weak bladder. He sent me to the OB/GYN who diagnosed me with a prolapsed bladder. He won't do surgery to repair my bladder until I lose alot of weight, and he told me to see my pcp about bariatric surgery. I did, and now I am just a few months away from surgery. No date is set yet, I have 1 more appointment with the nutritionist. They are still waiting for my psychological evaluation to get sent in. After that, they said about 10 days to get insurance approval, then I will have my 2nd consult and have the date set for surgery. :cool:

hi Friday
I just read your post about surgery and hernia. I have a smiliar story. I've fought hernia's for 30 years now, am 55 years old and fixing to face my 4th and hopefully last hernia surgery. THe wound clinic that has been treating me for 15 months receommened it, due to the fact my obesity and told me the "cat scan" showed my whole stomach in herniated. the mess can't hold back the flesh anymore, I was told they were going to make it a prostetic type plastic to hold the stomach back together plus do the bariatric surgery the same day. years ago the first one they took away my belly button, I have to wear binders 24/7. I pray that once the hernia repair and bariatric is done I won't have to wear binders for the next 30 years. Have you have success once your surgery was done for w/l did the hernia problems stop too? I would appreicate any information and encouragement you can share with me. thanks for taking time to listen to me and my issues. you've done so good with your weight loss, you'll reach your goal soon at the rate you are going. Happy for you. Hope to year from you soon.
Thanks
Donna

Back