• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What was the 'final straw'?

For Me it was a desire to get back into life and not spend the rest of what I have inside,on a chair taking 15 pills/day and struggling to just move around-And that's the short version,Honestly

For me my Journey started with my legs, they swelled really bad after my last son was born almost two years ago, the Dr in WA couldn't find the problem and i didn't have a blood clot, then we moved to Alabama shortly after that and the swelling came and went, my husband was worried about my health due to my legs swelling all the time, so In Jan i went to the Dr had a ton of blood work done, which one test (my liver) came back high, so she wanted me to go in and have a CT scan done of my abdomen and it came back that my liver is 4times the size it should be and i have another tumor on my left ovary, I was prepared for her to tell me i was dietetic really, not all that. My Dr told me that if i didn't lose massive weight my quality of life would cont to decrease, which i was tired all the time slept a lot and i have three children and i home school two of them, kind of hard to do when your sleeping... :( very sad really. So I went to a live Dr and also to the Advanced surgical weight loss center seminar, and the rest is all down hill from there my surgery is set for April the 13, yes i know it's a Friday LOL Iam first case. I will have the By-pass done. I'm scared and excited all at the same time. Thats where my journey began. I also take about 6 medication now too, I hate taking pills!

Hi flkitten
i was going through here reading old post that i hadn't read and saw yours. How is your health now?you sure have been through alot.
I haven't had my w/l surgery yet but hoping to get my turn in may2012.when you feel like sharing let us know how you are feeling and how thing's are since your surgery. I will pray for you and your litte one too, i have three kids all grown
donna

Hi tramcar8

congratulations on your major weight loss. I am gonna try to find the chef's web site that you mentioned whom also had the weight loss surgery.
I bet you are enjoying life now with lots of energy.
Wishing you continued success
donna

congratulations on you descision to have wls. this forum has numbers of great supportive people. Our goal is a common one, to lose and maintain our weight. che ck in frquently. It is absolutley normal to be frightend. for me wls my best chance to eliminate all of my c0-morbities and live a new life. this is a lifelong journey with all kinds little bumps in the road and we will all be here to listen. I certainly don't have all the answers. I lost 120 and regained 50 after . 5 years after surgery our bodies seemto revert to its old desires for ood and a tolerance for carbs returns, I slowly gained 50 lbs over 3 years. Now I have maintained a weifht of 200-205 for a year and I am focused to get back to 160. I will do itthrough positive thinking and sharing with a group of other people on this forum.welcome.....patti

Hi tramcar8

congratulations on your major weight loss. I am gonna try to find the chef's web site that you mentioned whom also had the weight loss surgery.
I bet you are enjoying life now with lots of energy.
Wishing you continued success
donna
The site is out of California and is amazing-The World According To Eggface-Just enter eggface on your browser and you'll get there-everything is there.

Walking down the isle at my youngest daughter's wedding Sept 2011 was hard. Going to the park and zoo with my Granddaughter. Edema, blood clots and swelling in both legs and lungs. Use to do wedding photography but can't keep up with the 20 something wedding party any longer. I have been sleeping in my electronic recliner for two years now and can't sleep in a normal bed or even a hospital bed. Used to perform music at open mics but don't have the energy any longer. These are the main issues I'm having my surgery this coming Monday morning. 4-9-12. Blessings and good luck to all of you.

This is a wonderful journey, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Let us know how you are doing and if you have any more questions please ask. :cool: Tom

Flashlarue-Your surgery date is almost here. Know that you are beginning your journey surrounded by friends here at the forum. If there is anything on your mind just ask and I'm sure someone will be able to help answer your questions or address any concerns you may have. Make sure to come back to the forum after surgery to let us know how you are doing.

Walking down the isle at my youngest daughter's wedding Sept 2011 was hard. Going to the park and zoo with my Granddaughter. Edema, blood clots and swelling in both legs and lungs. Use to do wedding photography but can't keep up with the 20 something wedding party any longer. I have been sleeping in my electronic recliner for two years now and can't sleep in a normal bed or even a hospital bed. Used to perform music at open mics but don't have the energy any longer. These are the main issues I'm having my surgery this coming Monday morning. 4-9-12. Blessings and good luck to all of you.

Wow congrats on your surgery monday! Mine is 4 days behind you, we can recover together :p, it's cool to know some who is having the same surgery in the same month really close together, lets help each other on the first stages of our new Life!
Praying for you and your family as you have surgery on monday. Happy Easter

Back