• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What you can and can't eat

I know everybody is different, but this is what I've have had problems eating since my bypass (Sept. '11). It should be noted that I had a silicone ring placed around my pouch as an FDA trial to see if that will help keep the pouch from re-expanding.

Chicken and turkey "off the bone". It has to be ground up
Beef same reason
Sausages, like kibasia and hot dogs
raw vegetables and fruits. They have to be cooked, or canned.
baked potato (mashed I do fine. That was all I had at Thanksgiving)
Sugar (of course)

Any other people still trying to figure out what they can have?

Cary, please tell me what that ring is. Did you have the band?

I have major jumping, pouch pain, heavy sweats, feeling clammy, overall feeling like crap when I eat:

processed foods, canned ANYTHING
fatty foods
hamburger less than 86%...90% + is best
more than a bite or two of chocolate of any kind
boxed foods
cheap foods
milk/dairy
forget ice cream...love the taste, it hates me
sodas...won't even think about drinking one
no to alcohol (sodas and alcohol were put on my never can I have again list given me by the surgeon)

My body lovesssss fresh vegies, fruits, lean meats
I absolutely love a good steak. I can only eat about 3 oz max at a time, but who cares, it's delish, my body loves it and I can get it down.
water water water
tea

I eat clean or end up running to the bathroom within a few minutes of eating.

I had to start taking a tsp of fiber a day to help with this. It was beyone dumping and was posing a health problem for me. It's resolved and life is good again and I'm back on track.

I had the RNY. I'm also in an FDA trial where they put a ring the diamater of a quarter around the pouch. This ring is not adjustiable, like the lap band. It just sits there. The hope is to keep my stomich from stretching.

I can't drink soda or alcohol any more either. I can have ice cream and dairy. It does not bother me.

Cary-Have you tried chewing the foods very thoroughly? The reason I'm asking is because I am pre-surgery and trying to plan my post surgical diet now. I don't eat a lot of meat but will need to after surgery and was wondering what will work for me. I read in a few places that you need to chew everything very, very well after surgery or else it will get stuck in your pouch.

Has anyone had problems eating low fat cottage cheese, sliced / cubed cheese like brie, gouda and provolone or eggs? Since I am not too fond of meat, cheese and eggs are my major sources of protein. I'm not saying I don't eat an occasional burger ("slider") or meat sandwich I just don't bother preparing meat dishes at home unless I invite ppl over for dinner. Once I have my surgery I know I will never be able to eat a slider because of the fat content but I don't know what I am going to do if I can't have my cottage cheese. Heck, I've been eating cottage cheese on a toasted bagel for most of my breakfast's for over 20 years *lol*. For some reason I never get tired of this. By the way, if you like cottage cheese you should try Kraft's Simply Cottage Cheese (lowfat). It is absolutely delicious! The best cottage cheese I have ever had.

I JUST WANT TO MENTION TO EVERYONE THAT KEVIN HAD MADE US A NICE CHAT ROOM. PLEASE STOP IN THE CHAT ROOM WHEN YOU VISIT THE FORUMS SO WE CAN ALL GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER.

Last edited:
check out chef dave fouts www.chefdave.org He has lots of tips and is a gastric bypass patient himself. I attended a couple of workshops he led and everything he said worked for me. I learned that the main problem is the type of cooking method. I love poached fish. Moist tender and not a single problem with digestion! I need a little more fat in my ground beef as I need the moisture it brings. Not cooking food too long. Roast with skin on (chicken, game hen, turkey) and then remove skin and it will keep moisture in. I eat dark meat turkey (chicken for some reason makes me sick, I can only manage 1 or 2 small bites) and ground turkey. I also like legumes and make chili often. A favorite fast food is wendy's chili! His web site has lots of recipes and information. I had to learn all kinds of moist cooking techniques and it paid off.

Thank you for posting about chef dave. I'm going to look it up.

Pat, it's not the chewing that causes issues. It's the food itself. Our pouches do not tolerate a lot of crap that we could eat before. If I attempted the cottage cheese on a bagel, one, I would only get about 1 bite before I had to stop...way too much dairy and carbs and, two, my pouch would revolt, my intestines would immediately go into overtime and I would be miserable until it went out the other end.

It's a whole new world once the surgery is performed.

I think the ring is probably a very good idea. How is that going? I have met dozens of people who continue to eat they way they did pre surgery and gain it back by stretching their stomachs. What everyone has to truly understand is this is NOT A QUICK FIX. You have to change the way you eat or you will not be successful following surgery. Most I know who have had the surgery can not tolerate bread or dairly. It's too hard on us. Carbs and sugar....horrible for us in many ways.

I am so anxious to read about your success with this, Pat. You seem a very interesting person and you appear to truly care. Thanks for sharing.

Letrell-I'm a bit confused on your reaction to dairy and carbs. You said you would have a reaction after eating 1 bite of a bagel with cottage cheese yet you said you eat 4% cottage cheese throughout the day as you pass the fridge. You said you eat certain types of block cheeses as well and you make fresh bread and can eat that. Is it the combination of the carb and cottage cheese together that makes you so ill?

Since the bagel with cottage cheese is my very favorite thing to eat I am wondering if I will end up with the same problem...I hope not :(

Back