• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Whats best to do for constipation

I am 20 days post op and have constipation. :( I dont feel uncomfortable like I used to pre op when I had it but still 6 days seems too long. Does it hurt or cause damage by using laxatives. Any suggestions? I realize this is a very private thing but any feedback would be appreciated. :) Thank you

I am 20 days post op and have constipation. :( I dont feel uncomfortable like I used to pre op when I had it but still 6 days seems too long. Does it hurt or cause damage by using laxatives. Any suggestions? I realize this is a very private thing but any feedback would be appreciated. :) Thank you

I had a terrible time with constipation after I had bariatric surgery. Laxitives are only ok occasionally because if you take them regularily then you won't be able to go without them. Fiber like Metamusil works good, also supositories are excellent ( some suppositories have a laxative in them but you would want the plain glycerin ones). The doctor told me to take a stool softner but I found it takes several capsules and not just one. Eating vegetables has helped me immensely. Salad, carrots, green beans, slaw with your meat or fish are great once you are further out from surgery.

Cheyenne

My bariatric nurse recommended Swiss Kriss, after I did the fiber route with BeneFiber and others that did not help what so ever..

Swiss Kriss is all natural and has been wonderful to me....

I found Swiss Kriss at GNC.

I am now 9 months post op.

I take 3 stool softener pills everyday and that does the trick for me.

Metamusil is also very helpful. I have done both. I favor the stool softeners. If I don't take the softeners things really do get jammed up and that is no good.

My bariatric nurse recommended Swiss Kriss, after I did the fiber route with BeneFiber and others that did not help what so ever..

Swiss Kriss is all natural and has been wonderful to me....

I found Swiss Kriss at GNC.

How do you take Swiss Kriss? Is it a pill or dissolved in water? Do you taste it? If so what does it taste like?

Thanks,

Cheyenne

Back