• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Whey Protein Powder Vs. Egg Protein Powder

supparamarq

Hello everyone, hope you are all doing great. I'm new here (my first post, actually), and have a couple of questions. I am somewhat lactose intolerant, and am going to have my surgery in 12 days. I have been reading the horror stories about post- op gas problems. So would anyone know if using egg protein powder instead of whey protein powder will cut down on the amount of gas experienced? Does it absorb as well as whey protein? And is it a type of protein powder that can be used in clear liquids? Any comments would help, and I'd really appreciate it. Thank you all in advance.:)

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your upcoming surgery!!! The majority of us have gas after WLS but fortunately it doesn't last forever. You can take GaxEx or its generic equivelant to reduce it and the painful bloating that comes with it. If you spend more than a day in the hospital you should as for GasEx. They aren't going to give you anything unless you ask.

Egg whites are the gold standard for protein but you need to ask your surgeon or nutritionist how beneficial they will be for you after surgery. We absorb nutrients much differently after surgery and only the experts can answer your question correctly. I'm glad you brought this up because I was thinking about egg whites as an alternative protein source instead of protein drinks. I have a follow up with my nutritionist in 2 weeks and will ask if I can use powdered egg whites in my meal plan as a protein substitute. You can purchase egg white powder on-line from "emergeny prepardness" food suppliers like Honeyville.

Thanks, Pat. I see my dietitian on Thursday and will discuss it with her as well. I'm just looking for the best protein drink with the least side effects. Also thinking about protein shots ( 25g protein in 2.9 oz. flavored clear liquid). They have 5 g of sugar though, so i'm a bit leery.

The protein shots are pretty nasty tasting, BUT if you use them as part of the liquid for making sugar-jello for example they are much better. You can also make Popsicles with your jello too, not just jello. As far as the sugar goes....the whey protein powders also have sugar, some with sugar substitutes. Those 5 g of sugar shouldn't hurt you, I am a former diabetic, used an insulin pump for over 6 years, but since surgery have been able to stop all insulin, and I used the "shots" during my CL-Pureed stages. My dietician also told me to remember, there are good carbs, and there are bad carbs, just need to know the difference. Good luck to you and your up coming surgery!

Thanks, Pat. I see my dietitian on Thursday and will discuss it with her as well. I'm just looking for the best protein drink with the least side effects. Also thinking about protein shots ( 25g protein in 2.9 oz. flavored clear liquid). They have 5 g of sugar though, so i'm a bit leery.

Your surgeon or nutritionist should be giving you printed information with details about your meal plans including the protein drinks they recommend. They probably sell them at their office as well. The only brands of protein drinks I tried and didn't like are Muscle Milk Light and GNC Light (except for the strawberry) both brands are very bitter. Unjury makes great tasting protein powders available on line at Unjury.com. Costco and Sam's Club sell pre-made shakes made by Premier that are also very good. EAS Carb Advantage pre-made shakes available at WalMart (least expensive), KMart, RiteAid and lots of other places are very, very tasty and come in a lot of flavors.

Ladybicknase is right about the liquid protein shots tasting nasty. They taste like medicine to me no matter how I try to disguise them. The only brand I tried are made by Proasis. I have 3 or 4 left that will be dumped down the drain unless I find someone I know who wants them.

I use Unjury protein shakes as recommended and sold at my Bariatric Center. So far I have found them to be quite tasty and they mix well with no powder taste. Each one is 20 Grams of Protein unless you mix them in no fat milk. I just attended a support group meeting on "hidden proteins" and one of the warnings was that you need to limit each serving of protein to 20 Grams anyway because that is just about all your body can absorb at one time. I still go over per serving at times but that is just the way it is. "Pobody is Nerfect" They have some great recipes on the WEB to increase the variety so you don't get tired of them. I like a banana or strawberry smoothie from time to time. I am going to try the EAS shakes for traveling since they are premixed. Unjury also sells individual packets which are perfect for mixing with a bottle of water and a packet of Crystal Light so are great for traveling. I have started to increase protein food intake but find that if I use two shakes a day I do better and continue to drop the pounds. My problem is exercise which is difficult with Fibromyalgia and pretty bad arthritis in my back and lower extremities. I swim almost every day but winter is coming in a few months and that will be the end of using the pool. The clear liquid part of this was OK for me, but the full liquid part was really hard and they let me go to soft a bit sooner, and then finally a regular diet but there are still things I don't tolerate so am very careful. If I overdo it hurts, if I eat to fast it hurts, if the food is too hot or too cold it hurts. The wisest thing I can say with a lapband is to chew chew chew, and sip sip sip. I believe the other surgeries are very similar with their warnings.

Thank you, javajoy, I will be trying unjury products in the future. Need to find something that does not cause so much damn gas. Using EAS right now.

My surgeon recommends Bariatric Advantage but they don't accept the FLEX health care cards, so my only option that I could find was New Life Bariatrics, so far I have tried their cappuccino and orange sicle flavors, didn't really like the orange...way too thick and sweet, but the cappuccino was good. I start liquids on Monday, then a week to go!!

Thanks. I am excited, nervous, anxious, but I know this is all normal. I'm not eating very much right now, breakfast is a protein drink, lunch varies, and dinner is usually nice and healthy. Still trying to deal with hunger late in the evening. We try to eat by 6pm if my hubby is home from work, however, if he is working overtime then we usually don't eat till 8pm. My daughter and her family are used to eating at weird hours, where my hubby and I like to have more of a normal eating schedule.

Thank you, javajoy, I will be trying unjury products in the future. Need to find something that does not cause so much damn gas. Using EAS right now.

Supparamarq-Unfortunately, gas is a side effect of the surgery and high protein food. It will improve in a couple of months. GasEx will help and if you are lactose intolerant then also use an OTC for this such as Lactaze or a generic equivelent. I buy generics of GasEx and Lactaze at WalMart for a fraction of what the name brands sell for and they contain the exact ingredients.

Thanks Pat. I currently use gas ex generics myself. Doesn't seem to do anything at all, yet. So I will just wait it out and see what happens. Time heals.

Hi suppara. My dietician told me that those clear protein shots arent very good- they are mostly collagen and are not the best form of protein. For us

Back