• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Which Calcium Citrate?

Ugh, I cannot figure out which brand of calcium citrate to purchase. I need a chewable for 30 days after surgery and a regular tablet to start taking now. Why do so many of the brands have D3 added? I already take a D3 capsule separately. Do I ditch the D3 capsule and take a combo calcium citrate? The reviews for chewable calcium citrate aren’t very good. I guess most of them taste terrible. Any suggestions or recommendations.

P.S. My dietician gave me samples of Bariatric Advantage caramel chewy bites. They are expensive and contain 500 IU of D3.

Ugh, I cannot figure out which brand of calcium citrate to purchase. I need a chewable for 30 days after surgery and a regular tablet to start taking now. Why do so many of the brands have D3 added? I already take a D3 capsule separately. Do I ditch the D3 capsule and take a combo calcium citrate? The reviews for chewable calcium citrate aren’t very good. I guess most of them taste terrible. Any suggestions or recommendations.

P.S. My dietician gave me samples of Bariatric Advantage caramel chewy bites. They are expensive and contain 500 IU of D3.
UHG! The chewy bites are the worse thing ever, ESPECIALLY the multivitamin! Celebrate vitamins sell a "sample pack" of about 30 pcs, different vitamins in all different forms. (drinkable, chewable, soft chews, etc.) It is only 10 bucks and I received a $10 coupon code for my next order with it so really it was free once I ordered what I needed. Honestly they were just as bad but the calcium is the least disgusting of them all. I found in the sample pack that they make a protein powder which included a 25g protein, multivitamin, calcium and fiber. I asked my team if that is acceptable after surgery and they said yes but I would have drink 2 a day because I need 2 multivitamins. and 2 or 3 calciums but 2 is fine for a starting point.

My understanding is you want to take D with the Calcium for absorption. I started and still have some from Bariatric Advantage. I also have some from the regular store. I find I like to have the Bariatric Advantage ones when I take my first one at work. Kind of feels like a treat. Coconut is my favorite.

Back to the other part of your question I still take my regular D3 and my blood work has been find so I have not changed anything at this point.

I love Celebrate's calcium chocolate chews. I am almost out of them and I have decided to go with regular tablets now because they are all so expensive. Really cut down on my vitamin budget. But I will miss those chews because I felt like they were a treat. I hate taking capsules or tablets. :(
But I am giving it a try.

I love Celebrate's calcium chocolate chews. I am almost out of them and I have decided to go with regular tablets now because they are all so expensive. Really cut down on my vitamin budget. But I will miss those chews because I felt like they were a treat. I hate taking capsules or tablets. :(
But I am giving it a try.
The chocolate caramel aren't too bad either. I really just will be anxious to be able to take capsules. That's why i choose the protein drink witht he required vitamins. I figured I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting my protein and vitamins in 1. It is expensive though. I purchased a 3 week supply and it was almost $100 bucks and I had $10 off. My team said at least 2 weeks with no pills, so I am hoping the 3 weeks will cover me and then I can switch to capsules.

I can't remember which Calcium Citrate + D3 I took that 1st month after surgery, other than I got it from CVS. After that I started taking Kroger's brand (buy 1 get 1 free). I take 2 in the a.m., 2 in the evening, and my adult multivitamin 4 hours apart from the Calcium, sometime in the mid-afternoon. They contain Vit D3 to make sure the body absorbs the calcium. I take a separate Vit D3 daily. My calcium & vit D levels were right in line at my 6 month checkup following complete blood work. All of my vitamins are Kroger's brand except for my prescription iron & weekly Vit D2. Cheap but evidently work for me. Good luck in your search.

Hello, my dietitian sent me samples also and I like the Bariatric Fusion chews, yes all expensive. Bariatric Fusion orange cream complete chewable with vitamin and mineral supplement were on sale, I got six bottles for 137.00 with free shipping. The dietitian said this would be all I needed, 120 chews per bottle. You have to chew four a day! I will probably check others out; but, it has everything in it. And, I know every person is different. Also, how did you all fare with the 10 days before surgery and on a liquid diet? Thanks. I missed my call for set up my post-op appointment and will have to call Monday. It's close!

That's a good idea. Bariatric vitamins are rarely different from Flintstones chewables. I'm not kidding. I actually read the labels. There was very little difference in the RDAs. The vitamin industry is one of the least regulated of the supplements industry.

I second the recommendation for getting the sample pack from Celebrate vitamins. I did this a few months pre op so that I could try all that they sent to me. It was a great deal at $10 and they do indeed include a $10.00 coupon. I found that I liked the new peanut butter chocolate calcium chews. I was also able to get fast melt B12s and additional D. I found a chewable multivitamin that I could stand that also gave me my iron so I was a happy camper. I’m hoping that I can go back to my regular tablet formulations and not have to reorder the chewables but at least I know what my options are.

So I switched from getting my vitamins from Celebrate to buying regular vitamins elsewhere to save money. I miss the chewable calcium. It was like a chocolate treat. Instead I swallow a big pill and I can see myself slipping and not taking the 2nd one because I just don't feel like it.

Also the B-12 from Celebrate were so quick to dissolve under the tongue. The brand that I am using now while they say it is sublingual, they don't dissolve. Anyone have any brand that they like on the B-12?

Trader Joe's makes a tiny B complex that melts faster than you can push it under your tongue. I've been using it for years.

Warning: rant ahead. I don't use any vitamins that claim to be bariatric because they're not! I can't say this enough. Read the effing label! (Not directing that comment at you, Judy) There's a sucker born every minute and vitamin cons just waiting to cross his/her path.

Please feel free to prove me wrong. I've been waiting many years for someone to do that.

I got so attached to TJs, I actually took a bus 100 miles once a month for necessities. I'd have to relearn food and nutrition if it wasn't nearby.

And to think the reason I went the first time was that I wanted to eat the frozen corn I'd been served at a friend's house! I don't even give a damn about corn anymore.

FYI, if there's a store within 50 miles, food delivery services will bring it to you. And I HATE to say this, but Amazon carries TJs products.

I'm lucky that I can actually walk to my nearest store. I think there are 8 more in Seattle. They know there's a market here.

Back