• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

which type of incision

demarici

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and just have a question. I'm meeting with my surgeon on Aug 3. I have a choice between several surgeons. The one that is the most experienced only does the one incision he likes to be hands on. The others do laparoscopy. Has anyone had just the one incision or the laparoscopy. I am torn on which way to go. I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks Doris

Hi Doris, Welcome. I had the paproscopic surgery, I had 5 little horizontal incisions and only one is still visable a little more than two years later, I am ok with it and have never really thought about it. I would only suggest that you go with the surgeon you are most comfortable with, but remember there will be a team of surgeons in the room and they all do an excelent job. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you but ther are a lot of folkes here so I would guess someone had a single incision done. :cool: Tom

Last edited:
DEMARICI-Welcome to the forum. I had the RNY done laproscopically. The recovery time is faster than an open surgery (one incision). It took an hour longer than usual to do my surgery because the surgeon had to work around scar tissue from my hernia surgery. At one point he considered to complete the surgery with an open incision but remembered a conversation we had about my concerns with open surgery. I was diabetic and had problems with infection and very slow healing in past surgeries. Some of the more experienced surgeons who have been around for a long time just choose not to train for laproscopic surgery. When I had my hernia surgery in June 2011 I chose a remarkable general / trauma surgeon who only does open surgeries even though there were surgeons who could have done it laproscopically. It just boils down to who you feel the most comfortable with.

Have a consult with another surgeon who performs laproscopic surgey then make your decision based on who you feel you are most comfortable with. Take a list of questions with you so you don't forget to ask something you may otherwise forget because you might be nervous or anxious.

welcome DEMARICI Doris

hi I haven't had my surgery yet, getting it in sept. but my surgeon is doing mine OPEN because he is also doing major hernia repairs, I will be cut from under breast bone all the way down, but I have faith and know everything will be ok. Like TOm and Pat have said, go with the surgeon you feel most comfortable with and ask around there should be others whom have used the surgeon you choose, ask at support group meetings, most people are open about whom did there surgery and will answer your questions, This room is such a helpful room, I enjoy comming here to share with others and learn from those whom have already had there surgery. have a good day
donna

Hi DEMARICI -- welcome to the forum. Before I went for the first seminar, I was convinced that I wanted the lap band, solely because I thought it was the only procedure that they did laparoscopically. Imagine my surprise when the surgeons said they did all 4 procedures with the scope.
I have had both kinds of surgery (not WLS), and the long incision takes longer to recover from. I remember not being able to stand up straight for about 4 weeks.
You say your surgeon only does the one incision and is more experienced. I assume that means that he is older than the others. But remember, even the younger surgeons have thousands of hours of surgery logged before they finish their internships, residency, and specialty. I would at least meet with a younger surgeon before deciding.

Thank you all for your comments. I think that I am going to meet with one of the other surgeons also. They are all employed by Geisinger so they should all be experienced as you have all stated. I just want to be sure there is a big difference in the healing time between the single incision and the lap. Again thank you all. The meeting with the surgeon is the last step before the actual surgery and it has been a long road but worth it.

Once you're completely healed from the open type of surgery, a product called Mederma really decreases the look of the scar. I used it for 4 months, 4 times per day after my knee replacement surgery, and the only scar I have is a really thin (almost transparent) scar.

Back